House Price Crash Forum
laurejon

Immigration No Impact On Housing ?.

Slap my wrists and report me to the thought police but surely nobody could even possibly deny that this is having an effect on housing.

The numbers

Total numbers of east European workers who have come to work in the United Kingdom since the EU expanded

Poles 162,870

Lithuanians 37,275

Slovakians 29,395

Latvians 18,480

Czechs 16,385

Hungarians 8,200

Estonians 3,855

Slovenians 270

Total: 290,695

Figures cover period between May 2004 and September 2005. They do not take into account seasonal and short-contract workers who have since returned home

Don't they all live 4 to a room however...160,000 poles = 40,000 rooms.

40,000 divided by 3 bed houses is 13,000 houses needed.

Isnt the monthly approval rate for mortgages around 80,000, which means all the housing for temporary Polish immigrants would be around 16% of a single months mortgage approvals.

Ok, fair enough, that is a significant number of people but, I cant see any of them buying houses so any effect they have on house prices would be second order via support to the BTL market. Also, most immigrants live in London and those that dont tend to be localised in small areas. So if there is any effect I would have thought it would only be significant in the London market.

Ok, fair enough, that is a significant number of people but, I cant see any of them buying houses

true buy one i think much more are coming in than the goverment tells us and two, this creates a lot of renters and that was the fuel for the BTL's at the start of this boom.

Your goverment has sold you out

My wife is from Slovakia.

She is GORGEOUS!

I thoroughly recommend East European women, nutty as fruitcakes, materialistic, usually very pretty and great in the sack.

Caveat Emptor --- LET THE BUYER BEWARE!

My GF's a second generation Pole and I totally agree :(

Anyway;

" They do not take into account seasonal and short-contract workers who have since returned home "

Nor do they include the large number who have no requirement to register - i.e. the 'self employed' whether plumbers, plasterers, gangsters, beggars or gypsies!

Large numbers of Poles have also brought their families with them and, I'm told by my GF's family, who are active members of a Northern Polish club, many more plan to. Most have no intention of returning to Poland! I presume the same applies to most other Eastern Europeans?

http://www.migrationwatchuk.com/

Net migration into the UK has averaged 166,000 a year over the last 7 years. [1]

• The UK’s population is projected to rise by 7.2 million from 2004 to 2031 – That’s equivalent to a two cities the size of Cambridge every year needing to be built because of immigration.[3]

• 59,000 new homes will be required in England each year for the next 17 years for immigrants.[4]

and

Immigration boosts Buy-to-Let demand

1 February 2006

Almost half of landlords expect that rental demand from immigrants will increase over the next few years, according to Paragon Mortgages’ latest Buy-to-Let Trends survey.

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Property/article-38668.html

Almost half of landlords expect that rental demand from immigrants will increase over the next few years, according to Paragon Mortgages’ latest Buy-to-Let Trends survey.

Well, they would, wouldn't they?

Even if immigration was going to push up housing demand, why will they stay here once the recession gets bad?

Edited by MarkG

She is GORGEOUS!

I thoroughly recommend East European women, nutty as fruitcakes, materialistic, usually very pretty and great in the sack.

How much did you pay for her?

Well, they would, wouldn't they?

Even if immigration was going to push up housing demand, why will they stay here once the recession gets bad?

Well, there's housing benefit, unemployment benefit, child benefit etc just for a start.

No doubt some of the single people may return but if there's a recession in the UK there's likely to be an even worse one in Eastern Europe (I believe 20% unemployment rates are common even now and we're in a world wide boom).

I really can't see many of the couples with children at school here ever returning.

Large scale and unchecked immigration is a mixed blessing. For the boomers it's helped keep inflation and interest rates low and the value of our property high, allowing us, once the kids have flown the nest, to downsize and live well on the proceeds. For many of our children and grandchildren it has removed pricing power from their labour and increased competition in the housing market.

Slap my wrists and report me to the thought police but surely nobody could even possibly deny that this is having an effect on housing.

The numbers

Total numbers of east European workers who have come to work in the United Kingdom since the EU expanded

Poles 162,870

Lithuanians 37,275

Slovakians 29,395

Latvians 18,480

Czechs 16,385

Hungarians 8,200

Estonians 3,855

Slovenians 270

Total: 290,695

Figures cover period between May 2004 and September 2005. They do not take into account seasonal and short-contract workers who have since returned home

How many UK citizens emigrated in that time?

She is GORGEOUS!

How did you meet her ?? A Mail Order Bride website ?? :D

This is unfortunately very true - English women are no longer worth marrying ..... I wonder what the BNP will make of this new generation of half british, half polish/russian/philapino/etc children .....

Please explain one thing to me:

Every time I rent a place I have to jump through all kinds of hoops with references and credit checks etc. So how do the East europeans manage when they come here? No credit records, bank accounts etc? Have you even tryed opening a bank account lately? They want all kinds of references and even insist on steady earnings over a certain amount.

Well I guess its possible that they all rent direct from desparate landlords, as I dont think most lettings agencies would touch them with a barge pole.

6% of population of crewe now polish.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4631802.stm

"It's quite mind-blowing"

"In Crewe, most of the first wave of workers were single men living in rented houses provided by recruitment agencies. But after a year or so, some started to bring their families"

"According to the latest figures - up to September 2005 - 277,000 migrants from the new EU states in Eastern and Central Europe had registered for work in the UK.

But research among migrants suggests that may not be a reliable indicator of the total number here. The Association of Labour Providers, a group mainly representing recruitment agencies, believes there may be twice as many migrants as the offical figures suggest."

Where's the thought police? BNPclamp anyone? Thank god they all live 22 to a room and fit into the same tardis interdimensoinal house.

Edited by brainclamp

My GF's a second generation Pole and I totally agree :(

Anyway;

" They do not take into account seasonal and short-contract workers who have since returned home "

Nor do they include the large number who have no requirement to register - i.e. the 'self employed' whether plumbers, plasterers, gangsters, beggars or gypsies!

Large numbers of Poles have also brought their families with them and, I'm told by my GF's family, who are active members of a Northern Polish club, many more plan to. Most have no intention of returning to Poland! I presume the same applies to most other Eastern Europeans?

http://www.migrationwatchuk.com/

Net migration into the UK has averaged 166,000 a year over the last 7 years. [1]

• The UK’s population is projected to rise by 7.2 million from 2004 to 2031 – That’s equivalent to a two cities the size of Cambridge every year needing to be built because of immigration.[3]

• 59,000 new homes will be required in England each year for the next 17 years for immigrants.[4]

and

Immigration boosts Buy-to-Let demand

1 February 2006

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Property/article-38668.html

I guess there were no incoming immigrants at all last year then - hence the static/falling house prices.

She was an au pair in North London. Met her through a friend and somehow we clicked. Lots of people confuse Slovakia with Slovenia and Serbia. The usual comment is "did she come her to escape the troubles over there?" When I explain, put Czech and Slovak together and what country have you got? the confusion clears.

She comes from a town called Dolny Kubin, up in the High Tatras area. It's a beautiful, yet relatively undicovered part of Europe. Lovely scenery, even lovelier women! It's a short drive over the Polish border to visit Krakow, a wonderful old and interesting town.

I would highly recommend visiting there while it's still cheap. Twelve pounds a night B&B, 4 course meal ten quid. Only £50 return from Luton to Bratislava on Easy Jet.

Go there, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I briefly went out with an Eastern European au pair a few years ago: she was an interesting girl with some amusing stories about Trabant racing :).

According to Migrationwatch

In recent years a net 100,000 migrants a year have been arriving in London and there has been a net movement of 100,000 existing residents from London to the rest of the UK.

Doesn't that mean that the net increase in housing demand in London is zero?

Every time I rent a place I have to jump through all kinds of hoops with references and credit checks etc. So how do the East europeans manage when they come here? No credit records, bank accounts etc? Have you even tryed opening a bank account lately? They want all kinds of references and even insist on steady earnings over a certain amount.

Well I guess its possible that they all rent direct from desparate landlords, as I dont think most lettings agencies would touch them with a barge pole.

this is a total generalization - by me - and based on only a handful that I know, but they work bloody hard - some with 2 jobs and hearing/seeing they make very good tenants.........they do seem to have real "values" and many send money home so they have an incentive to work. Not talking about the ones who come to abuse the system but then their are a % of Brits who do that too....ashamed to admit I had a very "not in my backyard" mentality last year to them, but now i have some as neighbours they are pretty decent/friendly......Landlords are hearing that they make ok tenants and if they can give a deposit then they get the flat. And i know of at least one letting agency who have employed a Polish negotiator to deal with this side of the market as many, many more are coming over......who do you think does all the cleaning in London for the middle classes??

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

Quite a few of the most recenently arrived Polish families I know of are renting from Asian landlords. Some of these guys are really switched on and have huge BTL portfolios mainly in the more run down parts of the old textile mill towns on the M62 corridor.

"Well I guess its possible that they all rent direct from desparate landlords, as I dont think most lettings agencies would touch them with a barge pole."

I wouldn't call these guys deperate and it's probably the agencies (or rather their clients) loss.

She is GORGEOUS!

My gf is also slovakian, lovely girl :) with similar qualities :) shes working here to fund her uni degree...