House Price Crash Forum

According to an article in computing, the US Treasury has been hacked by APT29, also known as Cozy Bear.

https://www.computing.co.uk/news/4024899/us-government-confirms-cyber-attack-treasury-commerce-departments-backed-hackers

What  could possibly ho wrong?

Borrow from the Fed and send cheques to the plebs, instead of the banks?

But interestingly this has to weaken confidence in the system.

According to an article in computing, the US Treasury has been hacked by APT29, also known as Cozy Bear.

https://www.computing.co.uk/news/4024899/us-government-confirms-cyber-attack-treasury-commerce-departments-backed-hackers

What  could possibly ho wrong?

Borrow from the Fed and send cheques to the plebs, instead of the banks?

But interestingly this has to weaken confidence in the system.

According to this Dominion voting uses SolarWinds

https://www.usapoliticstoday.org/dominion-voting-systems-hacked/

Apparently SolarWinds hack took place at the end of 2019 and early 2020, just as the failed impeachment ended and Covid news was breaking in China.
Edited by Arpeggio

Could cozy bear do anything more crazy then has been done since 2008?

I guess that depends who directs Cozy Bear.  The story of the Communist Revolution; the USSR; the end of the USSR; the collapse of the currency and the rise of a seemingly unaccountable 'strongman' national leader for Russia (complete with a background in corruption and organized crime) among Oligarchs who prefer to live in London is sufficiently crazy that no-one would make up a story like that.  I think, if we're looking for "crazy" Russia, and its institutions, set the bar very high.

Exchanges have been attacked not the Bitcoin blockchain. Be your own banker keep your own private keys. 

Am sure their was a story of a guy who did that, and then threw the hard drive with the keys to a Bitcoin fortune in the bin. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bitcoin-value-james-howells-newport-landfill-hard-drive-campbell-simpson-laszlo-hanyecz-a8091371.html

Exchanges have been attacked not the Bitcoin blockchain.

I seriously doubt that the blockchain has not been attacked.  Its failure has not been publicised - unlike the spectacular failure of various exchanges. It doesn't follow that, because attacks against exchanges are successful, that no-one has attacked (or is attacking) blockchain itself.  You simply can't know if it is a compromised technology... you don't know what you don't know. Someone else might.

Until someone finds the Quantum algorithm to break SHA256

Then they can steal all wealth on the planet, why would they bother with a 300b asset?  Plus if you owned 100% of Bitcoin there would be no counterparty to trade with, so it would be effectively worthless.

They could just take all of China's $ Trillions of USD, and move it to other bank accounts around the world. 

Take all of the UK banks overnight lending stored at the BOE, once a week at random . 

Quantum computers is the daftess threat to BTC i have ever heard, as standard FIAT finance is way less guarded. 

More here.

The Register: SolarWinds' 'breached by nation state spies' software is in wide use throughout the British public sector

and the first comment from US Treasury, Dept of Commerce hacks linked to SolarWinds IT monitoring software supply-chain attack puts it perfectly.

17 hrsmmccul

Could be scarier than one might expect 

Where I've seen Solarwinds implemented, the tool was often given administrative credentials to not just the networking gear to pull credentials (and restore them if they change without authorization), but also to perform discovery on Linux systems. Despite having well documented "these are the only sudo permissions needed on Linux", I see many shops just gave it full root.

Often, I was asking admins to choke down the access and there was surprise that the tool worked with less than full root.

So, yes, this is a very scary thing to me.

Edited by Will!

I seriously doubt that the blockchain has not been attacked.  Its failure has not been publicised - unlike the spectacular failure of various exchanges. It doesn't follow that, because attacks against exchanges are successful, that no-one has attacked (or is attacking) blockchain itself.  You simply can't know if it is a compromised technology... you don't know what you don't know. Someone else might.

Pointless attacking the bictoin blockchain, at best you may slow confirmations a bit, to do anything you would need 51% of the hashpower, even then all you can do is rewrite a transaction to create a double spend, and as the Bitcoin network is the biggest network it in the world, there is no private or government computer power anywhere near big enough too hurt Bitcoin.  

There have been exploits and errors found along the way in the last 11 years, but they have been found and corrected in the code before bad actors could exploit them. 

So yes, the bitcoin network has NEVER successfully been attacked, which is what gives it a current $300bn+ intrinsic valuation, over $1 trn buy the end of 2021. 

What makes you "Shor" that breaking SHA256 requires a "Quantum" algorithm?

Best Joke ever! 

Pointless attacking the bictoin blockchain...

That rather depends upon how and why bitcoin blockchain is being attacked.

You have an absence of evidence (not evidence of absence) of a way that bitcoin blockchain could be attacked. I am aware of at least 2 plausible strategies you have not considered - and I don't consider myself knowledgeable about cryptocurrencies.

What is the number we are talking about?

If it isn't 42, then I'm going to be disappointed with your aptitude for this sort of thing.

That rather depends upon how and why bitcoin blockchain is being attacked.

You have an absence of evidence (not evidence of absence) of a way that bitcoin blockchain could be attacked. I am aware of at least 2 plausible strategies you have not considered - and I don't consider myself knowledgeable about cryptocurrencies.

If it isn't 42, then I'm going to be disappointed with your aptitude for this sort of thing.

Okay then name one successful 51% attack. You're aware of nothing mate.

Am sure their was a story of a guy who did that, and then threw the hard drive with the keys to a Bitcoin fortune in the bin. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bitcoin-value-james-howells-newport-landfill-hard-drive-campbell-simpson-laszlo-hanyecz-a8091371.html

More fool him. With financial independence comes responsibility. Not everyone wants to run to mummy to get her to count how many chocolate buttons you have and how many you are allowed to eat today. 

Okay then name one successful 51% attack. You're aware of nothing mate.

You really should learn to read more carefully.  I told you that I was aware of plausible strategies, not that I have evidence of successful attacks.  Your disregard for accuracy leads you to make lots of mistakes.

Edited by A.steve

You really should learn to read more carefully.  I told you that I was aware of plausible strategies, not that I have evidence of successful attacks.  Your disregard for accuracy leads you to make lots of mistakes.

You couldn't attack bitcoin without a 51% without killing lots of people or causing worldwide financial devastation, or both.   As you only need 2 nodes worldwide (out of tens of thousands spread worldwide in the majority of country's ) to run the blockchain, you would need to ;

A) Kill all power Worldwide 

B ) Kill the internet Wordwide 

C ) Destroy the Sun, which would in time, maybe a year, cause A & B. 

Apart from that you need to spend $ Billions to amass computing power big enough for a 51% attack.  And i dont think you can comprehend how big the bitcoin network is, makes AWS look like a minnow.