House Price Crash Forum

Cabinet Office Emergency Planning College

Has anyone done any courses with the Cabinet Office Emergency Planning College?

The events of this year have renewed my interest in major incident management.  Years ago I went on a Hospital Major Incident Medical Management and Support course at which I was told that NHS England defines a Mass Casualty incident for the health services as "an incident (or series of incidents) causing casualties on a scale that is beyond the normal resources of the emergency and healthcare services’ ability to manage."  It occurred to me that this, on a less dramatic level, is basically every day in the NHS, and hospital staff could and should apply the lessons learned in major / mass casualty incidents to day-to-day activities.  The flaw in this idea is that major / mass casualty incidents occur too infrequently for those lessons to be learned.

I'm planning on doing this MSc Crisis and Disaster Management with the University of Portsmouth next year.  It's endorsed by the Emergency Planning College, which I'm hoping vouches for its quality.  I'm hoping I can do a research project with the Cayman Islands Health Services Authority, Hazard Management Cayman Islands and the Cayman Islands branch of the British Red Cross, who together deal with hurricanes often enough to appear to learn those major incident lessons.