House Price Crash Forum

UK government 'has underestimated takeup for Hong Kong resettlement scheme'

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article says that 3/4 have degrees and professional jobs. TBH we have globalist leaders who are intent on growing the population by migration, every party you can vote for will implement this. May as well be educated english speakers who are keen on democracy. It is either that or illiterate religious zealots.

Edited by debtlessmanc

The article says that 3/4 have degrees and professional jobs. TBH we have globalist leaders who are intent on growing the population by migration, every party you can vote for will implement this. May as well be educated english speakers who are keen on democracy. It is either that or illiterate religious zealots.

+1

We have enough land to build on too

If they come in those sorts of numbers in that timeframe there is going to be huge backlash.

It will interesting to see how the liberal middle class types who never had to compete with the flood of manual workers from the EU start to view immigration when the immigrants are very highly trained/skilled and start coming directly for their roles and force wages down.

If they come in those sorts of numbers in that timeframe there is going to be huge backlash.

It will interesting to see how the liberal middle class types who never had to compete with the flood of manual workers from the EU start to view immigration when the immigrants are very highly trained/skilled and start coming directly for their roles and force wages down.

Never thought of that, i am not sure about the Hong Kong legal system or accountancy qualifications. As you say, could be interesting.

Depends what industries they go into....I suspect not the ones such types you refer to tend to be in. Are there many diversity managers in HK?

If some HPC posters are anything to go by, there will be a flood of people migrating the other way to enjoy China's more effective political system😏

Edited by nightowl

Depends what industries they go into....I suspect not the ones such types you refer to tend to be in. Are there many diversity managers in HK?

If some HPC posters are anything to go by, there will be a flood of people migrating the other way to enjoy China's more effective political system😏

Going to need to replace the black diversity officers with Chinese one to represent these new Hong Kongers for a start! 😂

I’m sure they have a similar breadth of society as us so there will probably be competition across the board.

+1

We have enough land to build on too

Is it a future we should wish for, though? My local area in Staffordshire is disappearing under wave after wave of huge housing developments (the like of which didn't seem to happen to such an extent when I lived in the SE, maybe its different recently).

We need to keep the population down and protect what countryside we have left.  I'm not anti-immgration, but I am very much against massive net immigration. 

Is it a future we should wish for, though? My local area in Staffordshire is disappearing under wave after wave of huge housing developments (the like of which didn't seem to happen to such an extent when I lived in the SE, maybe its different recently).

We need to keep the population down and protect what countryside we have left.  I'm not anti-immgration, but I am very much against massive net immigration. 

We have lots and lots and lots of countryside

All owned by the government and protected by green belt laws

isnt it something like 2% of the UK is built on?

Green belt laws need relaxing at that the unattractive stuff can be built on. Sure preserve genuine natural beauty, but not random unknown bits of semi green spaces. I think that's pretty much being done.

There is another argument that when highly skilled, motivated people move in they tend to create jobs and opportunities in their new home. Not just fight to be a bookkeeper. 

Look who founded most of tech in the States 

If Britain does want to trade with the world could be a great opportunity. 

If Britain wants to go up its own isolationist a rse then ban them all. 

About 12% total urbanisation, adding 2 million houses would increase that to 13%. So yes plenty of room to build more.

Aah thank you for the exact statistic. I don't know where the 2% came from. Probably way out of date.

The reality is we need more Milton Keynes. We need entire towns built. Never going to happen but it should!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/12/uk-government-underestimates-takeup-hong-kong-resettlement

Is there ANYTHING this government can’t f up????

600,000 more people, inevitably moving to London.

Another Brexit win for remainers and another Brexit loss for Brexit supporters.

Alternatively take the dutch approach. drain the wash, was suggested in the 1950's, could build millions of houses on the fens without decreasing farmland area.

True. There'd be both terrestrial and marine environmental objections. Draining the still wet bits of the fens would dry out the underlying peat and other highly organic soils, which currently store, on an aerial basis, a lot of carbon. I don't know about the esturine ecosystem in the wash but I'm pretty sure it would be subject to environmental protection. But then again if you're going to build somewhere it should be considered on an ecosystem-services valuation basis (such a thing exists)