House Price Crash Forum

lol didn't read it well enough.....probably  under ordered to conserve cash

Check the M&S link - I've never seen this sort of thing this early before. It may have to do with their new Ocado deal, but the same thing has happened with Waitrose, Selfridges. There's no posh Xmas cake to be had (online). 

I suppose their manufacturing capacities have been hit badly. Reckon cake could be the new bitcoin :D 

Check the M&S link - I've never seen this sort of thing this early before. It may have to do with their new Ocado deal, but the same thing has happened with Waitrose, Selfridges. There's no posh Xmas cake to be had (online). 

I suppose their manufacturing capacities have been hit badly. Reckon cake could be the new bitcoin :D 

Production capability in food processing plants has been badly hit I hear from a customer. Little bit of Brexit but not much,  more that precautions have had to be ramped up (you  don't want to be the centre of an outbreak..)

The problem is they are semi skilled jobs which just can't get people for easily, so  when people catch it or have to isolate your production capacity is really hit - these aren't jobs that can be done on a Zoom call 

Production capability in food processing plants has been badly hit I hear from a customer. Little bit of Brexit but not much,  more that precautions have had to be ramped up (you  don't want to be the centre of an outbreak..)

The problem is they are semi skilled jobs which just can't get people for easily, so  when people catch it or have to isolate your production capacity is really hit - these aren't jobs that can be done on a Zoom call 

Seems you're right. Probably not enough hands on deck. Doesn't bode well.

image.png.320d985d8c580567642d881d0d13a33a.png

It might also be explained by people mail ordering stuff rather than getting it from physical shops which arent open but have stock. Ie the demand is the same but can't access the same overall supply as easily.

That's said people go mad buying tat before Christmas anyway so a little bit of rationing will do em good😏

Edited by nightowl

Getting hold of a birthing pool has been frustrating. "Stuck in Folkestone" allegedly. Paid a bit more for one in stock in the end.

Loads of second hand baby stuff going on gumtree/ebay otherwise.

Midwife shortage as well I assume? Cheaper/easier for them to staff hospitals than lose headcount offsite. 

Edited by PeanutButter

Anyone seeing this for online stuff? Mostly to do with Christmas, but even simple clothes or supplies I click the link and Sold Out/Out of Stock.

Did shops not order enough stock?

There's a huge amount of supply chain disruption driven by Covid and Brexit (stockpiling)... shipping issues, etc. - hitting some lines of stock more than others (some clothing, plastic toys, etc.)

Midwife shortage as well I assume? Cheaper/easier for them to staff hospitals than lose headcount offsite. 

Thankfully not.

I'm not sure it is cheaper or easier to do a hospital birth- they are 5x more likely to result in a cesarean (2%-> 11%) and each of those requires a theatre with like 10 staff in it.

Plus the midwives were already trained and available anywho?

I get the feeling there is a baby boom going on-lots of people we know getting their first ones or trying for them.

Thankfully not.

I'm not sure it is cheaper or easier to do a hospital birth- they are 5x more likely to result in a cesarean (2%-> 11%) and each of those requires a theatre with like 10 staff in it.

Plus the midwives were already trained and available anywho?

I get the feeling there is a baby boom going on-lots of people we know getting their first ones or trying for them.

Yes baby boom for sure. Lockdown boredom. If you need to borrow my paddling pool say the word. Electric pump and everything. :D 

Re midwives I read that they’re discouraging home births this year and women are turning to private midwives (£4000!) or free birthing. 

This is worth a thread of its own.

Something similar happen due a particularly cold winter? or a storm or something?

Could mean a huge boost to the economy and a huge swing to the left in 18 years time. 

Something similar happen due a particularly cold winter? or a storm or something?

Could mean a huge boost to the economy and a huge swing to the left in 18 years time. 

There will be a new boomer generation similar to the post-war period. I am in that group that will be trying for the first one in early 2021. I've heard similar things with people i know. 

There is already a swing to the left happening now.  The next 2 GE's will see apx 1/2 the traditional Tory base die off. The middle-aged cohort that would replace them are still renting. Add in the 'woke' generation and the Rabid Right Wing are dead - it's whether Labour want to be centrist or move away to let a new party in.

Edited by msi
Missed 1/2

Yes baby boom for sure. Lockdown boredom. If you need to borrow my paddling pool say the word. Electric pump and everything. :D 

Re midwives I read that they’re discouraging home births this year and women are turning to private midwives (£4000!) or free birthing. 

We're planning on 4+, so will get our money's worth ;)

I think it must be difficult to get any cash for a "lightly used" birthing pool!!

It must depend on area. Here in the South East, they were more than happy to do home births. Other areas, I hear, not so much.