House Price Crash Forum

Halifax House Price Index Nov 2020

rantnrave

If the average house has gained £3k+ in value this month and me and my partner are saving between £1.5k-2k a month for a deposit to buy 'an average home', how am I ever supposed to afford one? It seems to me an unsustainable, and frankly absurd situation.

Because you multiply your deposit by the lenders multiplier, sounds like you will be fine.

I know right. Doesn't make sense. In my area I'm seeing 400k ish houses languishing for sale for months and taking 25-50k drops. 

Maybe this still fits in when you consider the declared rises only account for homes that have sold. Reading the press release between the lines, I presume there are sectors of the market that are getting totally reamed at the moment eg. Small flats in crowded city areas. 

Over the past year there are also shitloads of flats that cannot be sold even if they wanted to be. 

When it comes to London I would think there are a lot of falls yet to be recorded - even when the certificate comes in there are many ex-new builds that will have some pretty stark drops in value.

I would guess the indexes must have a far richer blend of houses as opposed to flats, which given the preference for outside space means the indexes rising is no surprise. Anecdotally I haven't seen either nice houses struggle to be sold, neither have I seen shitter houses that are not kite-flying prices either. In fact there are houses that I am quite surprised that were SSTC at their prices, the same cannot be said for flats.

I do wonder how they will try and accommodate falling flat prices when it does happen. Probably a re-jig of the methodology, the possibilities are many.

I do wonder how they will try and accommodate falling flat prices when it does happen. Probably a re-jig of the methodology, the possibilities are many.

I wonder what proportion of flats are shared ownership or HTB, so they effectively can't be sold anyway?

I wonder what proportion of flats are shared ownership or HTB, so they effectively can't be sold anyway?

157,000 shared ownership homes or 1% of all households as per https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8828/

IIRC 20% of homes in the UK are flat flats. 

So give or take 5% of flats are currently shared ownership.