House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Brown trending on twitter....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

after all these years he still makes my teeth itch!

He was the architect of the mess we face today. I can't believe he still gives interviews. If I were him i'd just disappear quietly.

A lot of younger people have no idea who he even is never mind what he's done to this country.

I'm amazed he still has the hubris to pop up from time to time but here he is and trending on twitter.  Here are some sample tweets from the timeline:

@spyguy @zugzwang

No friends around the table....

Gordy is probably the most despised Pol in Westminster. None - and I mean - noone has any time for him, bar the girmmleslefty journos in BBC who cant quite work out why hes not elected Leader of the World.

Noone would put a good word in for him, so there was no post Politics job for him.

Brexit is a dire t result of tax credits, bringing in (officially) 5m EUers, mainly EE.

Green, Acadia and Debenhams are the result of his gormless light tou h, which saw tbe Scottish banks grow to monstrous size and lend out billions to be speculated on property and financial engineering. The banks all went bust, the financially engineered businesses are ruined, and PE weasels n the likes of Green are rich.

Noone would put a good word in for him, so there was no post Politics job for him.

Game-keeper turned poacher at Pimpco alongside Bernanke and Trichet and a woman called Slaughter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/08/gordon-brown-investment-firm-pimco-global-advisory-board

Gordon Brown is to join the former central bankers Ben Bernanke and Jean-Claude Trichet on a new five-strong new global advisory board established by the international investment firm Pimco in his first role in the private sector since resigning as prime minister in 2010.

The board will help to guide Pimco’s investment process with what the company described as their “economic, geopolitical, and market expertise and insights”.

In addition to Bernanke, the former chairman of the US Federal Reserve – who will chair the new board, and Trichet, the former president of the European Central Bank, the board members also include Ng Kok Song, the former chief investment officer of the Singapore government’s sovereign wealth fund, and Anne-Marie Slaughter, former director of policy planning for the US State Department.

4531940.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Game-keeper turned poacher at Pimpco alongside Bernanke and Trichet and a woman called Slaughter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/08/gordon-brown-investment-firm-pimco-global-advisory-board

Gordon Brown is to join the former central bankers Ben Bernanke and Jean-Claude Trichet on a new five-strong new global advisory board established by the international investment firm Pimco in his first role in the private sector since resigning as prime minister in 2010.

The board will help to guide Pimco’s investment process with what the company described as their “economic, geopolitical, and market expertise and insights”.

In addition to Bernanke, the former chairman of the US Federal Reserve – who will chair the new board, and Trichet, the former president of the European Central Bank, the board members also include Ng Kok Song, the former chief investment officer of the Singapore government’s sovereign wealth fund, and Anne-Marie Slaughter, former director of policy planning for the US State Department.

4531940.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Ed Balls brother works at Pimco.

I can can see the dour Boxing day family get together.

Ok, we dont want him. Can Ed ring his brother? I bet theyve loads of paperclips to be counted.

I don't understand the fascination with Gordon Brown. He is not responsible for the economic situation Britain finds itself in today. If anything, the people who had power after him had plenty of time to change things.

As @spyguy points out, he and Blair did a vast amount to make Brexit happen.

I don't understand the fascination with Gordon Brown. He is not responsible for the economic situation Britain finds itself in today. If anything, the people who had power after him had plenty of time to change things.

I do agree that the people after him haven't done much to reverse the idiocy he introduced.

I guess the excuses would be that the Tories had their hands tied by the LibDems.

Then when Cameron actually had a majority government, everything got blown up by the Brexit vote and aftermath.

Having said that, I didn't see much appetite for massive change from Cameron, Osborne, May, Johnson etc.

I do agree that the people after him haven't done much to reverse the idiocy he introduced.

I guess the excuses would be that the Tories had their hands tied by the LibDems.

Then when Cameron actually had a majority government, everything got blown up by the Brexit vote and aftermath.

Having said that, I didn't see much appetite for massive change from Cameron, Osborne, May, Johnson etc.

Yes. I'm more focused on how a future HPC might happen or how affordability can be improved (relative to wages). We cant change the past but we can influence the future.

I think the role of the central bank in creating this mess gets neglected as well. I wonder how long it will be before interest rates ever go up again.

Edited by ucnvpe0

Ok, to give a very recent example - making foreign aid of 0.7% GDP a law rather than just a policy.

Reversing a law takes a lot of time and effort.

The Cons dont, as a rule, play these daft **** games.

The laws they out to bring in are -

1) Work permits only fo people earning 2xuk median wage.

2) Public sector spend capped at 30% of GDP

3) Public pension costs to be accrued in year they are earned I.e fully funding pensions.

Yes. I'm more focused on how a future HPC might happen or how affordability can be improved (relative to wages). We cant change the past but we can influence the future.

I think the role of the central bank in creating this mess gets neglected as well. I wonder how long it will be before interest rates ever go up again.

You are right to ask....

Help to Buy and even the latest SDLT holiday are all apparently Labour and Gordon Brown's fault. He set something in motion apparently impossible to stop...nonsense.

TPTB is a nice little club and this divide and conquer works well. The wealthy have benefitted and it fascinates me that the defending of one party against another still goes on. I guess it shouldn’t bother me, I have done well out of it  

Seems accountability for everything lays with new Labour. 

I ain’t a fan of Gordon, Blair or Thatcher but I don’t blame them for the 500 decisions and ‘builds on their policies’ that happen subsequently. 

They're obsessed with the 'wealth effect' from rising asset prices from low IRs. Without seeing the damage they also cause.

He was the architect of the mess we face today. I can't believe he still gives interviews. If I were him i'd just disappear quietly.

A lot of younger people have no idea who he even is never mind what he's done to this country.

The way he singlehandedly crashed the entire Western world's economy was incredible.

I've also heard he was responsible for all the "let the bank's go free!" deregulations stuff us Tories were pushing pre-2008. ;)

Seriously though, hindsight is easy. I'm blue and I was there. (Still involved in Tory politics before the financial crash I mean.)

Is it related to benefits and/or immigration?

You say those like they are too minor tweaks, like changing the face on a banknote.

The UK will be living with Labours benefit and immigration f-ups 2002ish - 2010 for several decades.

Those changes brought Brexit and Conservative MPs in Northern areas that, if youd said theyd be voting Con in 2010,  youd have been put in a looney bin.

Is it related to benefits and/or immigration?

There's a joke among anti-anti-immigration people about Schrodinger's immigrant: simultaneously claiming benefits and driving down wages (or 'stealing our jobs' to put it less accurately).  With Tax Credits for 'economic' migrants, Gordon Brown made the joke a reality.

You say those like they are too minor tweaks, like changing the face on a banknote.

The UK will be living with Labours benefit and immigration f-ups 2002ish - 2010 for several decades.

Those changes brought Brexit and Conservative MPs in Northern areas that, if youd said theyd be voting Con in 2010,  youd have been put in a looney bin.

Ok, I'm trying to get a better understanding. What about the post war immigration from the Commonwealth? Is that not similar in terms of the lasting impact. 

The way he singlehandedly crashed the entire Western world's economy was incredible.

I've also heard he was responsible for all the "let the bank's go free!" deregulations stuff us Tories were pushing pre-2008. ;)

Seriously though, hindsight is easy. I'm blue and I was there. (Still involved in Tory politics before the financial crash I mean.)

Dammit.

VF have pulled the full article

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/08/aig200908

You can have all of this instead

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2005/nov/28/economicpolicy.budget2006

The moron hadntgrasped howdangerous banks CSN be.

Iirc the entire US fjnsec assets were 30% of US GDP in 2008.

RBS assets alone were 300% of UK GDP