House Price Crash Forum

Went to get a Chinese take away, and they had no other transactions in 25 minutes

I ventured out tonight and fancied a Chinese take away, and was in the establishment and vicinity for at least 25 minutes, no other customers came in and they had no orders from ubereats or deliveroo.

The Local pizza eatery place only had 2 couples inside, the spoons was also empty compared to normal i am not sure if it was the weather or people are afraid to go out or they have less money.

1_Brentwoods-Wetherspoon.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well my local curry house has just lost my business. I don't mind paying a premium for decent takeaway food but:

• Quantity of curry was a bit light.
  • Judging by the consistency they're trying to save on oil and tomatoes.
  • The tomato slices wee missing.
  • None of the pilau rice had pilau seeds/essence in it.
  • The normally hot balti was as weak as a korma.
  • They missed out the free popadoms for orders over £30.

So overall not impressed and looking at their recent Google reviews I'm not alone.

Well my local curry house has just lost my business. I don't mind paying a premium for decent takeaway food but:

• Quantity of curry was a bit light.
  • Judging by the consistency they're trying to save on oil and tomatoes.
  • The tomato slices wee missing.
  • None of the pilau rice had pilau seeds/essence in it.
  • The normally hot balti was as weak as a korma.
  • They missed out the free popadoms for orders over £30.

So overall not impressed and looking at their recent Google reviews I'm not alone.

Customer numbers must be down, so they are  trying to make more profit per customer to survive, if they have lots of competition they will close.

That was my thought although strange to see a squeeze given how much money people around here apparently have to spend  / spray up a wall. They do deliveries as well though so you'd think they'd be doing better, especially given the closure of the pubs although that said I'm told Domino's have been doing some unusually good deals recently so perhaps this is just the gusts before the storm?

I ventured out tonight and fancied a Chinese take away, and was in the establishment and vicinity for at least 25 minutes, no other customers came in and they had no orders from ubereats or deliveroo.

Since March this year, I've hardly eaten out at all... Preferring to cook at home than dine around people acting-out "fear of the plague". Prior to this, I ate out many times each week.

My 'wow' moment on takeaway was on ~9 February 2020.  A mate and I had spent much of the weekend looking at some paperwork at my place - and I suggested I get a take-out delivered.  We checked reviews and selected the best rated curry house - which happened to be a restaurant at which we'd previously dined in and enjoyed the food.  I called in the (price-not-really-important) order... and asked if they could deliver.  They couldn't - they didn't have a delivery driver available. I offered to pay by card (wanting them to be confident that it was a firm order) but was asked if I could pay cash on collection - I was offered a discount for cash before I could respond.  I agreed to collect... and to bring cash.  When I arrived (about 30-40 minutes after having ordered - at around the usual time of peek demand) I walked in the door - the ~60-seat restaurant was empty - every table pristine and set... Front-of-house greeted me by identifying my take away order before I had even identified myself.  It was absolutely obvious that they had let their delivery driver go and I was the only customer for the evening - perhaps the weekend - two kitchen staff and one front of house.  I could only imagine other take-aways being even quieter.

I can't imagine demand having improved since then.  Not only do people like me dislike associating eating with people imagining endemic disease (undermining the value proposition of the entire hospitality sector) but people are also being encouraged not to meet in person... which will dramatically reduce demand for shared take-aways and restaurant meals.  This effect will be reinforced by those who recognise that such businesses can't be breaking even... and who decide not to take the risk of buying prepared food when the risk of cost-driven short-cuts has increased.

Edited by A.steve

Since March this year, I've hardly eaten out at all... Preferring to cook at home than dine around people acting-out "fear of the plague". Prior to this, I ate out many times each week.

My 'wow' moment on takeaway was on ~9 February 2020.  A mate and I had spent much of the weekend looking at some paperwork at my place - and I suggested I get a take-out delivered.  We checked reviews and selected the best rated curry house - which happened to be a restaurant at which we'd previously dined in and enjoyed the food.  I called in the (price-not-really-important) order... and asked if they could deliver.  They couldn't - they didn't have a delivery driver available. I offered to pay by card (wanting them to be confident that it was a firm order) but was asked if I could pay cash on collection - I was offered a discount for cash before I could respond.  I agreed to collect... and to bring cash.  When I arrived (about 30-40 minutes after having ordered - at around the usual time of peek demand) I walked in the door - the ~60-seat restaurant was empty - every table pristine and set... Front-of-house greeted me by identifying my take away order before I had even identified myself.  It was absolutely obvious that they had let their delivery driver go and I was the only customer for the evening - perhaps the weekend - two kitchen staff and one front of house.  I could only imagine other take-aways being even quieter.

I can't imagine demand having improved since then.  Not only do people like me dislike associating eating with people imagining endemic disease (undermining the value proposition of the entire hospitality sector) but people are also being encouraged not to meet in person... which will dramatically reduce demand for shared take-aways and restaurant meals.  This effect will be reinforced by those who recognise that such businesses can't be breaking even... and who decide not to take the risk of buying prepared food when the risk of cost-driven short-cuts has increased.

So many establishments will shut, without paying customers that business model is over so much of the high street will be empty so a banking crisis soon

So many establishments will shut, without paying customers that business model is over so much of the high street will be empty so a banking crisis soon

Perhaps... it's definitely a tough environment for any business that does not have deep pockets and/or reliable lines of cheap credit.

I've wondered if the objective might be to facilitate asset acquisition at scale by large US corporates.

You mean like the highland clearance

I wasn't aware that the Highland Clearances could be attributed to Authentic Brands.  I thought it was some English aristocrat, or other, and that this justifies anyone with an incomprehensible accent accusing anyone who's ever been to England as being personally responsible for instigating a programme of ethnic cleansing.

You mean like the highland clearance

story21.jpg

Often Scots getting one up on other Scots who got shipped off to the colonies.

The great myth of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Culloden was that it was an English vs Scottish battle. In fact it was a Scottish civil war - the Scottish lowlanders in Edinburgh and Glasgow backed the Hannoverians against the Highland clans.