House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stressed-Out

Dinner Party Shocker

I was out at dinner over the weekend with a group of friends.

Inevitably, the chat turned to the property market since one couple, who are currently in rented, had just completed on a property to 'do up and sell on' (the wife actually said: 'I want to be the next Sarah Beeney'). They reckoned they'd 'timed it just right' since the market had 'dipped and was on its way up again - spring bounce and all that...' Good luck to them, of course, but I have to say the property in question is a pretty hideous 60s semi, so even if they do put in the 'telly in the bathroom, because people want that nowadays', I think they'll have a hell of a job selling it.

Anyway, the gloss was taken off the evening for them somewhat when another couple announced that the sale of their flat had just fallen through. 'The buyers pulled out because they thought the market was sliding,' they said. (I actually do feel rather sorry for them, because they have a young child in a two-bed flat. Still, guess they should have thought of that before they started procreating.) 'I don't think we'll ever sell it now,' she added, 'things have really taken a tumble round here, haven't they?'

AND THIS IS THE SHOCKING BIT, out of ten people at that table, eight of them were nodding. Bloody hell mate: I nearly chocked on my ciabatta. Just six months ago, I was being shouted down by all of them. Now, suddenly, they were agreeing with me. Despite all the 'news' 'reports' to the contrary.

It was truly a glorious moment. And I'd like to dedicate it to you all here at HPC forum.

God bless you!

AND THIS IS THE SHOCKING BIT, out of ten people at that table, eight of them were nodding. Bloody hell mate: I nearly chocked on my ciabatta. Just six months ago, I was being shouted down by all of them. Now, suddenly, they were agreeing with me. Despite all the 'news' 'reports' to the contrary.

It was truly a glorious moment. And I'd like to dedicate it to you all here at HPC forum.

God bless you!

Yay, go bears go!

Once the bearish sentiment has reached the hallowed hall of the yuppy dinner party (you *did* say ciabatta ;) ) then we know HPC is upon us.

frugalista

excellent!

Peoples opinions are changing, but I find they say they knew all along this is how it would happen.

Short gold-fish memories!

And don't expect them to acknowledge or thank you for telling them it would happen.

It will just be a case of "oh well, of course everyone knew the market was over-valued" etc.

Expect them to say things like "you were sooo lucky you sold when you did" etc...

And f you warned people who end up getting badly burned, expect them to hate you.

Edited by BandWagon

Once the bearish sentiment has reached the hallowed hall of the yuppy dinner party (you *did* say ciabatta ) then we know HPC is upon us.

frugalista

you can get that at tesco for 49p.

canadian plum fed moose is the new fashionable food for bright young international things...

God bless you!

"Of course (one of the guests says loudly) we all told you that the market was on the slide months ago, we said it would happen, and it did old boy, personally I knew all along and was expecting it so it's very fortunate that you listened to us and didn't buy, I say you owe us one big time! Cheers everyone, we're never wrong when we're always right" -- A smug dinner party, 2006

the wife actually said: 'I want to be the next Sarah Beeney.

Oh how shallow the world has become! So she doesn't fancy being a novelist, or solving third world food shortage, or doing something useful, or being generous to people, or being pleasant, or creative, or wise, or well-read, or talented, or respected.....no folks....she just wants to buy a run down old shack, do it up and sell for a profit.

That's Little Britain for you....not a nation of shopkeepers or even hairdressers...but a nation of wannabee Sarah Beenbags....great....just the sort of attractive place I want to live too!

It's ME ME ME all the way.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

the wife actually said: 'I want to be the next Sarah Beeney.

Oh how shallow the world has become! So she doesn't fancy being a novelist, or solving third world food shortage, or doing something useful, or being generous to people, or being pleasant, or creative, or wise, or well-read, or talented, or respected.....no folks....she just wants to buy a run down old shack, do it up and sell for a profit.

That's Little Britain for you....not a nation of shopkeepers or even hairdressers...but a nation of wannabee Sarah Beenbags....great....just the sort of attractive place I want to live too!

It's ME ME ME all the way.

VP

Nature or Nuture?

The old question.

you can get that at tesco for 49p.

canadian plum fed moose is the new fashionable food for bright young international things...

It obviously shows that I left Blighty well over a year ago. When I do finally return to that sceptred isle and put out at my dinner party some Korean smoked radish tofu, there will probably be some chortly smirks, and someone will mutter "oh my god, that's SO 2004"....

frugalista

In fact, do people still even say "that's SO ... "?