House Price Crash Forum

Do you have problems sleeping at night?

Do you have problems sleeping at night?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have problems sleeping at night?

Do you have problems sleeping at night

My companies new intake of 4 young people aged between 22-26ish, all 4 said they had problems sleeping at night, they are all very worried for the future.

Main worries seem to be

1. Buying a house (in London)

2. Career prospects (long term)

3. Where is the country heading?

There is the problem.

After years of saving I now have a deposit that would allow me to buy in London, but I cannot see the point when money goes much further elsewhere.

You play the hand you are dealt and I’ve made peace with the fact I was simply born too late to compete with boomers.  

I'm 30. I don't have trouble sleeping at night. I'm not worried about the future. I have a house deposit (which I'm planning to spend maybe not on a house. Early retirement.)

My line of business pays okay, (software engineering). But we're drastically underpaid compared to the USA.

But you are drastically overpaid compared to India

I sleep efficiently.

Out like a light, then up early for exercise,

I work in Highways and I’m on call most of the time averaging around 55 hours a week. I actually only have about 5 days off from now till mid January and that’s including weekends, Christmas and new year. I don’t need the extra cash which makes it feel even more pointless but I just can’t get out of it because of ‘contractural requirements’ and other people not being qualified/competent to do these additional bits of the business. 

Add a newborn to that and I barely get 5 hours sleep a night. It’s a little self-inflicted because by the time the kids are in bed I feel I need time to myself before the alarm goes off at 5.30am...

Oh and a bad habit is checking out sites like this before bed. Sigh. You guys promised a crash. 

I work in Highways and I’m on call most of the time averaging around 55 hours a week. I actually only have about 5 days off from now till mid January and that’s including weekends, Christmas and new year. I don’t need the extra cash which makes it feel even more pointless but I just can’t get out of it because of ‘contractural requirements’ and other people not being qualified/competent to do these additional bits of the business. 

Add a newborn to that and I barely get 5 hours sleep a night. It’s a little self-inflicted because by the time the kids are in bed I feel I need time to myself before the alarm goes off at 5.30am...

Oh and a bad habit is checking out sites like this before bed. Sigh. You guys promised a crash. 

Be careful; it does not sound like highways, a young child, and lack of sleep are a good combination over the winter months. Surely you have colleagues to share the workload with?

Be careful; it does not sound like highways, a young child, and lack of sleep are a good combination over the winter months. Surely you have colleagues to share the workload with?

Its a big highways contract where there are a few heavily restricted ‘named roles’ on the contract. This means the client only approve certain people to do the critical parts. Ie. Winter managers/ incident liaison officers. So you’re roped into being on call for this sort of stuff because the client only approves a limited number of people to do it. 

I’ve been told in no uncertain terms that I cannot come off these types of rota’s. 

Its a big highways contract where there are a few heavily restricted ‘named roles’ on the contract. This means the client only approve certain people to do the critical parts. Ie. Winter managers/ incident liaison officers. So you’re roped into being on call for this sort of stuff because the client only approves a limited number of people to do it. 

I’ve been told in no uncertain terms that I cannot come off these types of rota’s. 

Sounds utterly irresponsible of them. It's not HE?

It’s called business same on any large skilled tech product for instance MOD IT support 

You never have loads of people on the bench can’t afford to 

I've worked on large scale MOD IT projects over a number of years and I'll tell you the money WAS flowing. I also now know about the HE hence my question to the original poster. 

Sounds utterly irresponsible of them. It's not HE?

Maybe. The likes of HE won’t necessarily care how their DBFOs and Operating companies treat their staff. They bark instructions and demand more and more from them every time maintenance contracts are up and out for tender. 

Im not being melodramatic when I say they only way I can get out of these things is to leave and come back! Or just leave permanently. I sometimes day dream about a little local authority role... 35 hours a week... flexible working... no pressure because they have no budgets hah!

My companies new intake of 4 young people aged between 22-26ish, all 4 said they had problems sleeping at night, they are all very worried for the future.

Main worries seem to be

No

All unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

How much screen time / blue spectrum exposure are they getting in the evenings?

How is their diet? Are they avoiding inflammatory foods?

Are they getting enough strength / weight bearing exercise?

You are heading for a mental breakdown unless you decrease your workload 

Yes. None of the above. They have other personal issues.. 

Unless they're sheltered snowflakes.. 

Disclaimer: Millenial 

Agreed.  

No

All unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

How much screen time / blue spectrum exposure are they getting in the evenings?

How is their diet? Are they avoiding inflammatory foods?

Are they getting enough strength / weight bearing exercise?

Agreed.  What matters in life is your health and those of your families and friends who you love.  

Sadly many will spend their life on a screen and will have done so even prior to Covid or will be or seeking approval  on FB or Twitter.  

But you are drastically overpaid compared to India

Yes but that has nothing to do with some U.K. millennials being stressed?

You play the hand you are dealt

Totally agree.

A guy whom works for me was born with 1 arm.  Plays golf off a 24 handicap one of the happiest and most positive people I have ever had the good fortune to meet.  

Main worries seem to be

I just take a Bitcoin pill every night, out like a light, worry free. 

Literal problems sleeping at night? Not really. Seriously depressed about the future? Definitely, find very little positive there and a hell of a lot of negative, which is why I'm such a miserable *******. I suspect I might even be a fundamentally cheerful person underneath it, on the belief that the underlying personality comes through with inhibitions loosened when you get drunk.