House Price Crash Forum

Ultimate Landlordism - Van life: Durham couple's six years on the road (and counting)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54842438

Van life: Durham couple's six years on the road (and counting)

'The idea of packing up your possessions to live life on the open road has its appeal, but the practicalities put a lot of people off actually doing it. Six years ago, after one of them nearly died and both were diagnosed with depression, Dan Colegate, 38, and Esther Dingley, 37, swapped their careers and a permanent home for motoring through the mountains, valleys and coastlines of Europe.'

'They found a campervan - quickly nicknamed Homer - a tenant for their flat and a buyer for their car.'

'One year has become six and counting, with the couple living off a combination of savings, rental income and money earned doing odd jobs.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54842438

Van life: Durham couple's six years on the road (and counting)

'The idea of packing up your possessions to live life on the open road has its appeal, but the practicalities put a lot of people off actually doing it. Six years ago, after one of them nearly died and both were diagnosed with depression, Dan Colegate, 38, and Esther Dingley, 37, swapped their careers and a permanent home for motoring through the mountains, valleys and coastlines of Europe.'

'They found a campervan - quickly nicknamed Homer - a tenant for their flat and a buyer for their car.'

'One year has become six and counting, with the couple living off a combination of savings, rental income and money earned doing odd jobs.'

They never add the raw figures in these articles. I wonder how they go about publishing whilst missing such a glaring point.

I admire them, fair play. I suspect they've had a helpful gift / inheritance for the property rental to contribute meaningfully to their monthly living costs, and I'd guess it would be more difficult if you were planning kids, but then they've took on 5 dogs so I guess they could make a child work in the earlier years at least.

It makes me question my own choices, though ultimately every person's path through life is very different. Maybe in my later years I can try an emulate what they've done :)

I admire them, fair play. I suspect they've had a helpful gift / inheritance for the property rental to contribute meaningfully to their monthly living costs, and I'd guess it would be more difficult if you were planning kids, but then they've took on 5 dogs so I guess they could make a child work in the earlier years at least.

As long as they keep feeding the dogs, maybe.