House Price Crash Forum

Belfast Airlift - Sausages imports banned

Looks like Brexit is going well for Northern Ireland as it seems there will be a border down the Irish Sea.

A report just now on Sky is indicating some imports from third countries, i.e processed meats, flour (hence bread) with certain additives, into the EU is illegal.

Northern Ireland supermarket shelves look likely to run out of food, and Asda were on in a complete panic.

Well done Brextards!!

Looks like Brexit is going well for Northern Ireland as it seems there will be a border down the Irish Sea.

A report just now on Sky is indicating some imports from third countries, i.e processed meats, flour (hence bread) with certain additives, into the EU is illegal.

Northern Ireland supermarket shelves look likely to run out of food, and Asda were on in a complete panic.

Well done Brextards!!

As we get closer to the end of transition I become increasingly certain that "plan" if it can be even called that, is to cut NI free or at least start the process. Would the core brexit voting English Nationalists even notice beyond the extra £11 billion in the bank account. 

As we get closer to the end of transition I become increasingly certain that "plan" if it can be even called that, is to cut NI free or at least start the process. Would the core brexit voting English Nationalists even notice beyond the extra £11 billion in the bank account. 

Be sh*te to break up the country though, Brexit is bad enough leave alone the UK then breaking up. Plus all those English nationalists might want to remember the reason why London is such a power house is because financial services firms seek social and political stability, would be seriously bad news for all of us if we start looking like a banana republic.

Mind you, I think if Scotland go the Independence route then a united Ireland is on the cards ... the flag would look pants without any blue in it if nothing else haha. 

Be sh*te to break up the country though, Brexit is bad enough leave alone the UK then breaking up. Plus all those English nationalists might want to remember the reason why London is such a power house is because financial services firms seek social and political stability, would be seriously bad news for all of us if we start looking like a banana republic.

Mind you, I think if Scotland go the Independence route then a united Ireland is on the cards ... the flag would look pants without any blue in it if nothing else haha. 

This NI problem could lead to that sometime, seems the most workable solution, if they now want to 'take back control' and have a democratic vote  blah blah.   This could be yet another unexpected sting in the tail for the flag waving patriotic leavers.

Welsh red dragon and English white dragon together on a flag could look pretty cool!

This could be yet another unexpected sting in the tail for the flag waving patriotic leavers.

100%, the pro-Brexit camp always struck me as a bit "four legs good two legs bad", waving the union flag then getting all "whey f*ck the EU, independence from the European union". For the sake of balance, I equally can't get my head around Sturgeon getting all braveheart then begging to join another union of 300m people, most of whom don't speak the same language.  

... but then I'm just a unionist at heart who thinks people coming together and cooperating is a good thing so what would I know :)

Edited by CityLAD88888

Welsh red dragon and English white dragon together on a flag could look pretty cool!

Yeah, I've thought that before actually, chance for Wales to get some representation in the flag too wouldn't it, bang a harp/St Paddy's cross in too for NI and Bob's yer uncle :)

Edited by CityLAD88888

Scotland will leave, NI might go but not anytime soon.  It’s more likely Scotland will go and then NI will drift more towards the EU.  Westminster don’t care about NI other than as a bargaining chip for the Brexit deal.  

100%, the pro-Brexit camp always struck me as a bit "four legs good two legs bad", waving the union flag then getting all "whey f*ck the EU, independence from the European union". For the sake of balance, I equally can't get my head around Sturgeon getting all braveheart then begging to join another union of 300m people, most of whom don't speak the same language.  

... but then I'm just a unionist at heart who thinks people coming together and cooperating is a good thing so what would I know :)

What I was going to add, but didn't for the sake of brevity -the endgame here is both UK and EU fragmentation.  For the dark forces at work behind the scenes, this would be a great victory without even having to win a war.

Scotland will leave, NI might go but not anytime soon.  It’s more likely Scotland will go and then NI will drift more towards the EU.  Westminster don’t care about NI other than as a bargaining chip for the Brexit deal.  

Yeah I think this is a pretty likely outcome depressingly, voices in Scotland getting louder and polls showing independence yes camp ahead (sad as I'd be I can't say I blame them to be honest, leaving the EU is a massive goalpost shift since their last independence referendum) then a depressing drift for NI (majority nationalist catholic population growing, even a lot of unionists p*ssed about Brexit and rightly so). 

I'll tell you what though, if the union breaks up, I genuinely reckon I'm offskie, Singapore, HK, Tokyo, somewhere still with a bit of business cut and thrust and fun. Stay and be a little Englander? tumbling economy? Corrupt housing market serving only a feckless baby boomer elite who voted for all this and borrowed against my future prosperity? Insult to injury: can't have a debate about any of it without identity politics sucking the oxygen out of everything and anything? ... f*ck that for a laugh.

Edited by CityLAD88888

Yeah I think this is a pretty likely outcome depressingly, voices in Scotland getting louder and polls showing independence yes camp ahead (sad as I'd be I can't say I blame them to be honest, leaving the EU is a massive goalpost shift since their last independence referendum) then a depressing drift for NI (majority nationalist catholic population growing, even a lot of unionists p*ssed about Brexit and rightly so). 

I'll tell you what though, if the union breaks up, I genuinely reckon I'm offskie, Singapore, HK, Tokyo, somewhere still with a bit of business cut and thrust and fun. Stay and be a little Englander? tumbling economy? Corrupt housing market serving only a feckless baby boomer elite who voted for all this and borrowed against my future prosperity? Insult to injury: can't have a debate about any of it without identity politics sucking the oxygen out of everything and anything? ... f*ck that for a laugh.

The only possibility is if BoJo comes to his senses (under the thumb of his good lady) and calls the whole Brexit farce off.

Either that, or he’ll go down as the worst PM in history.

The only good from this is that it has removed the veneer of BS comprising  the British exceptionalism myth.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

The only possibility is if BoJo comes to his senses (under the thumb of his good lady) and calls the whole Brexit farce off.

The only good from this is that it has removed the veneer of BS comprising  the British exceptionalism myth.

I doubt he will call it off to be honest, there will be a border down the Irish Sea, another step to a United Ireland.  Scotland will be gone in 5 years.   I do think lots of countries have the exceptionalisim thing but then Endland did. have an Empire so you can understand where it comes from.  

No sausage sandwiches in Belfast? Its literally the end as we know it.

We had the Berlin airlift - now the Belfast one. Still good news for the pigs - even if those of the human variety with their snouts in the trough aren't so happy.

well said

Seems we have agreed a trade deal now with Canada. What it took the EU 8 years to achieve Liz Truss has managed in less than six months.

So even if the poor folk of Northern Ireland won't be able to enjoy pork sausages - they at least will be able to enjoy some prime Canadian beef when Justin Trudeau comes to visit!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/21/uk-canada-agree-post-brexit-trade-deal/

Edited by MARTINX9

Seems we have agreed a trade deal now with Canada. What it took the EU 8 years to achieve Liz Truss has managed in less than six months.

So even if the poor folk of Northern Ireland won't be able to enjoy pork sausages - they at least will be able to enjoy some prime Canadian beef when Justin Trudeau comes to visit!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/11/21/uk-canada-agree-post-brexit-trade-deal/

won't make up for those sausages though.

Sounds more like an agreement to make an agreement 

ML there's a perfectly good - designated - thread ("brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads"), set up by the good people of HPC where you can post absurd anti-Brexit arguments and everyone can agree with them.

Please can you leave the rest of HPC alone?

ML there's a perfectly good - designated - thread ("brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads"), set up by the good people of HPC where you can post absurd anti-Brexit arguments and everyone can agree with them.

Please can you leave the rest of HPC alone?

Ulster Says Nooooooooooooooooooooh!

My local sausage factory (Halls brand) closed a few years ago and the site is now a new build housing estate. Britain in a nutshell. They said at the time they couldn't compete with Irish sausages subsidised by the EU.

I'd imagine that will now drive up the cost of cheap meat paste sausages. No local production ability and import taxes on the previously cheap sausages from the EU. Difficult to reconcile that increase in costs with a customer base you've trained to pay 99p for 10 of your sausages in a bag at Farmfoods. 

Reminds me of a visit to Tanzania. At the time the govt had decided that their local tyre factory couldn't compete with cheap American imports so they taxed them to make them more expensive than local tyres. Problem is the locals can't afford their local tyres, and they are crap quality for a country with poor infrastructure. The very definition of cutting off their nose to spite their face. 

No sausage sandwiches in Belfast? Its literally the end as we know it.

We had the Berlin airlift - now the Belfast one. Still good news for the pigs - even if those of the human variety with their snouts in the trough aren't so happy.

It's a little known fact that Northern Ireland makes some pretty decent sausages.

But the point is valid, and there'll be big problems importing food from mainland UK to Northern Ireland.  For UK supermarkets operating in Northern Ireland (and not the Republic) there will be big issues, especially with delivery trucks with mulitple different lines of food.  Each individual item will require documentation.

For supermarkets with very large 'all island' operations, such as Tesco and Lidl, there will not be such massive issues as they have pretty big depots in Ireland, where a truck full of maybe just a handful of different products can be delivered from mainland UK, but still unnecessary costs, inefficiencies and compromises will be incurred.

Interestingly, there will be no issue for Northern Ireland shops to get their sausages (and all other food products) from the EU.  So mainland UK businesses will lose out to EU businesses.  And the billions in subsidies to NI paid by English taxpayers will be re-circulated less into English businesses and UK tax revenues, and more into EU firms and economies.

Another Brexit tragedy that is lose-lose for all parts of the UK.

Edited by Ballyk
add clarity

It's a little known fact that Northern Ireland makes some pretty decent sausages.

But the point is valid, and there'll be big problems importing food from mainland UK to Northern Ireland.  For UK supermarkets operating in Northern Ireland (and not the Republic) there will be big issues, especially with delivery trucks with mulitple different lines of food.  Each individual item will require documentation.

For supermarkets with very large 'all island' operations, such as Tesco and Lidl, there will not be such massive issues as they have pretty big depots in Ireland, where a truck full of maybe just a handful of different products can be delivered from mainland UK, but still unnecessary costs, inefficiencies and compromises will be incurred.

Interestingly, there will be no issue for Northern Ireland shops to get their sausages (and all other food products) from the EU.  So mainland UK businesses will lose out to EU businesses.  And the billions in subsidies to NI paid by English taxpayers will be re-circulated less into English businesses and UK tax revenues, and more into EU firms and economies.

Another Brexit tragedy that is lose-lose for all parts of the UK.

There will be a bridge between GB mainland and NI within 10 years, if it is needed. Short term problem on UK historic timelines. 

equally can't get my head around Sturgeon getting all braveheart then begging to join another union of 300m people, most of whom don't speak the same language.  

I think that is mostly because the EU is a low touch regulation based single market and Scotland would be much more free to set their own economic policies with the EU than they are within the UK under control of Westminster.

I never supported Scotland leaving the UK, I always saw it as another divisional movement while I favour uniting rather than dividing. But since they were ripped out of the EU I can at least see the point a little more now.