House Price Crash Forum

Unfortunately it either doesn't work or only relates to HMO licences. I have put in two properties that I know and are rented out in an area that requires a landlord licence and both come back as not needing a licence.

at the moment it only relates to HMOs so still a long way to go

I love property118! :)

Even Martin Lewis money saving champion of the UK is having a go at landlords!

https://www.property118.com/even-martin-lewis-money-saving-champion-of-the-uk-is-having-a-go-at-landlords/

Dr Rosalind Beck

10:02 AM, 19th November 2020
About 2 days ago

Yes, Martin Lewis has jumped on the populist, landlord-bashing bandwagon. He gives no advice to landlords or even acknowledgement of the terrible crises being experienced by many now who have tenants who know they can live rent-free for 2 years or more. Shameful bias. If he as a multi-millionaire was being screwed over day in day out he'd be less garrulous.

Report Comment Reply

Judith Wordsworth

10:25 AM, 19th November 2020
About 2 days ago

Yet another reason to get out of rentals.

Report Comment Reply

Roseanne Turvey

11:24 AM, 19th November 2020
About 2 days ago

Reply to the comment left by Judith Wordsworth at 19/11/2020 - 10:25
Trouble is we won't even be able to do that in a minute and sell up if they decide to clobber us with a higher rate of capital
gains tax.

Oh man, the Landlord Derangement Syndrome is strong here, isn't it? It's a site to help consumers save money dealing with businesses. Imagine having the planet-sized sense of entitlement you must have to think he shouldn't tell anyone about it because the poor landlords have suffered enough. And why the beggary flip do they think MSE should give advice to landlords? Don't they realise they're running businesses? Cheeses. 

I actually think the time it became more difficult to become a LL was down to the end of mortgage interest rate relief and additional stamp duty charge being levied.

The only LLs who must be doing OK right now are ones who own their property outright.

The days where you could be a part time LL incoming to an end.

I actually think the time it became more difficult to become a LL was down to the end of mortgage interest rate relief and additional stamp duty charge being levied.

The only LLs who must be doing OK right now are ones who own their property outright.

This is true, I have had reason to look in detail at buying half a London flat and renting it. Tbh you would be lucky to make a profit at all. 

I've now decided the only way is to buy a cheaper one outright, you would get a slightly better return than a savings account. Hardly worth it without price increases. 

I rent out a flat in central Edinburgh (bought in 2010 and then ended up emigrating) and although the yield at 6.6% isn't great, mortgages are dead cheap so I reckon it's actually a forgiving environment for LLs who aren't leveraged up to the eyeballs.

This is true, I have had reason to look in detail at buying half a London flat and renting it. Tbh you would be lucky to make a profit at all. 

I've now decided the only way is to buy a cheaper one outright, you would get a slightly better return than a savings account. Hardly worth it without price increases. 

A former colleague had a london flat which he owned outright and he said that it was better than a savings account.  I am not advocating it - but are you sure you are right?

Of course both savings accounts and being a landlord are not good deals now.