House Price Crash Forum

I'm thinking of giving up on work

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a house deposit that is large enough to not need to work for about 5 years.

I have schizophrenia so I am quite ill, I'm thinking of jacking in work and just living off benefits when my cash runs out.

What do you think?

I'm a software engineer. I will stay on top of things in the industry.

No disrespect to you but I do not feel that you should be asking this type of advice on this forum. I’d urge you to speak to someone totally independent about your current situation. One of my good friends was schizophrenic and he ended up taking his life early last year. Please do not make any rash decisions and seek professional help. My DM is open if you would like any pointers to mental health resources. 

If you want to do it, do it carefully. Maybe you need a sabbatical year. It's better you do it by yourself before you are forced to do it because you broke down. 

Be smart, reduce your outgoings and since you are in a good position give yourself no limit. 

If you like coding, then please keep a github alive and do things you like. One year may be enough to sort you out

No disrespect to you but I do not feel that you should be asking this type of advice on this forum. I’d urge you to speak to someone totally independent about your current situation. One of my good friends was schizophrenic and he ended up taking his life early last year. Please do not make any rash decisions and seek professional help. My DM is open if you would like any pointers to mental health resources. 

I've been through the suicidal phase with one suicide attempt. Now I'm looking out for myself, how to live the best possible life with a terrible illness.

I think people work for too little money with what they have to put up with. So I'm thinking of giving up on work and living off savings.

I'm in contact with my psychiatrist, they support my decision not to work, I'm not sure they know what I mean though which is to deliberately stop working for as long as possible, to enjoy life, the best I can given the illness.

Why not clarify what you exactly mean with your psychiatrist then? No point in having a hidden agenda from someone who is there to help you. 

I have a house deposit that is large enough to not need to work for about 5 years.

I have schizophrenia so I am quite ill, I'm thinking of jacking in work and just living off benefits when my cash runs out.

What do you think?

Lol, is that you Longone

fiw-wallstreet.jpg?w=1140&h=500

Lol, is that you Longone

fiw-wallstreet.jpg?w=1140&h=500

@longgone is down to less that £100,000 in savings now (which is only enough to get a rabbit hutch in his Hull) so I don't think it's him. He also pretends to be a macho man. Which I am not sure is possible living in your mams basement. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

What do you think?

Don't stop working completely if it gives you structure in your life, which is an important factor with what is known as mental illness. If you must, shorten your hours. The devil makes work for idle hands can apply to the psyche as well.

IMO there is nothing morally wrong with living off benefits in your situation either and it's a drop in the ocean by comparison to what MPs and the like do.

Edited by Arpeggio

My advice is to get your medications reviewed before you take any decisions and talk to your HR department.  You might have the option to go part time or to take a break for a year.  

If you truly have significant savings consider contracting as it takes you out of the politics and you can take breaks when it becomes too much.

Id be concerned that you are finding work a problem and I wonder if there is an issue with the culture thats nothing to do with your condition.  In which case a move might be more appropriate.  

My advice is to get your medications reviewed before you take any decisions and talk to your HR department.  You might have the option to go part time or to take a break for a year.  

If you truly have significant savings consider contracting as it takes you out of the politics and you can take breaks when it becomes too much.

Id be concerned that you are finding work a problem and I wonder if there is an issue with the culture thats nothing to do with your condition.  In which case a move might be more appropriate.  

The work culture is awful. We pair program over Zoom. It's painful and slow. I'm used to whizzing ahead and doing lots of things but it's suffocating. We're micromanaged.

Really? Oh I don't really know Hull if it's good or bad. Just remember him saying he's from there. 

It is more complicated than that, from what he has said, his father was Greek-cypriot and his mother is English he grew up in West London and wants to buy a property in that area, the Hull part must mean his mother is from Hull and went back to her roots in old age.

It is sad he played the game wrong and did not buy a house and now he is upset, his anger stems from being priced out.

Flupentixol and venlafaxine for anti depressant.

No side effects, except I notice If I miss a dose of venlafaxine, as it makes you feel strange.

The meds don't work but I've told the psychiatrist that, they want to try increasing my dose more. I'm on a mild dose of flupentixol (injection).

Do you have a girl/boyfriend or Cat

Are you in lockdown and/or is it affecting you?

Yeah I'm in Scotland. It sucks, all my favourite cafes will be closing. And the library too.

There's a club house I can go to during the lock down because it's considered to be an essential service for people with mental health problems. So there's that, once or so a week.

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/

Contact a Samaritan

If you need someone to talk to, we listen. We won't judge or tell you what to do.

Call us any time, day or night

Whatever you're going through, you can call us any time, from any phone for FREE.

Find out more about our helpline

Write us an email

Sometimes writing down your thoughts and feelings can help you understand them better.

Find out more about our email service