House Price Crash Forum

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/17/british-government-food-shortage-uk-fresh-europe-ports-storage-space

A survey by the UK Warehousing Association found that there is less than 3% spare capacity nationwide. Most of this consists of small corners, useless for major wholesalers. The association believes “the situation will quickly become critical”.

While the government has spent £1.4bn this year on border arrangements that would usually be made by the private sector, it has done nothing to ensure there is sufficient storage space, or that food is prioritised. Such issues, it believes, are best left to business.

I ask myself, do I trust this government to ensure cheap food supply? No. I emphatically do not.

Do I trust suppliers to hike up costs and boost profits at every opportunity? Yes. Yes I do.

Do I trust suppliers to hike up costs

Eh?

Good thing so much of the population is obese. They will probably be able to survive at least 2 months without eating a single thing.

Good times are over. Not long until the strong men arrive.

Eh?

Good thing so much of the population is obese. They will probably be able to survive at least 2 months without eating a single thing.

Good times are over. Not long until the strong men arrive.

Lol as if you’ve ever had to go a day without eating. 

image.jpeg.7bbdc9a4c6a47f48ed91d93009c1be3e.jpeg

Anyway back to topic. DO WE TRUST JOHNSON’S bunch of clown bullies not to f this up?

*breathes in the smell of lorry driver pee wafting over Kent*

Is food supposed to be insanely cheap?  Do we need so many fried chicken shops?

Yes and no. Seed oils are very cheap but are the root of literally every disease of modernity. Eating real food is a bit more expensive, but much cheaper in terms of medical costs and how much life you get to enjoy.

I'm actually fasting at the moment and haven't eaten since Monday. I will admit that it is voluntary though. Think of it as practice.

Anyway back to topic. DO WE TRUST JOHNSON’S bunch of clown bullies not to f this up?

No. I know what they will do. I had a little faith in the "small government" rhetoric, but at least my hatred of Government has now been vindicated.

*breathes in the smell of lorry driver pee wafting over Kent*

Not gonna happen.

Seen my parents go hungry.  When you're a kid and can't eat the meal in front of you because of the lump in your throat as you know the meaning of mums 'oh I'll when you're in bed and I get some peace' means.

Running out of food isn't the problem...it's finding the money.  When the banks, utilities, council, want their cut ahead of you putting food in your mouth.

I regularly did as a student could and not eat all day

When the banks, utilities, council, want their cut ahead of you putting food in your mouth.

Surprisingly enough these organisations have staff to pay.  That is why they charge for their services.  

2 months ago my bank stopped someone taking 40k out of my business account. I have no issue paying for that. 

Is food supposed to be insanely cheap?  Do we need so many fried chicken shops?

We're in a commodites bear market at the moment. That's one of the reasons we don't seem to have much inflation. If central bank money had poured into commodities instead of stocks the price of food would have risen dramatically. I'm not sure what will cause the trend to reverse but when it does you can expect food to become a higher portion of your monthly spending.

I'm not one of those survivalists, with a year's supply of canned goods and a rambo knife, but I do harvest seeds, and grow a great deal of food outdoors, keep a large poly tunnel, have an outdoor well and a gravity filter. This is food without pesticide, things that are expensive and tasteless in the supermarkets, but cheap and delicious homegrown. I keep a small orchard too. 

We sometimes get taunted for our diet (my kids at school too), but it's okay, we can take it. For some people it's not real food unless it's processed, oily, with added sugar and/or salt and wrapped in cellophane or a pretty box. A lot of people wouldn't touch fruit or veg too unless they're well formed and completely insect or insect damaged free.
I say real food will have the odd slug, spider, aphid, ant - these are good things - if they're missing, the chances are something very nasty was sprayed on your food. You can always rinse them off, and if you miss one, then it's a bit of extra protein. We often eat practically for free (just the labour time involved), and it's high in vitamins, minerals and protein.

If you have a tiny garden, try square foot gardening. If you live in an apartment and there's a supermarket shortage - well, good luck! :)

Edited by crash-and-burn