House Price Crash Forum

The Economy is Healthy - The PlayStation 5 Index

Ordered a PlayStation 5 during the pre-orders a few weeks back. Arrived this morning and decided to advertise it on at £900 with no real plans to sell it. Quite surprised that demand was through the roof with my inbox literally swamped, so just punted it on at £1,000.

Clearly a lot of people out there have money to burn. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the supply is limited and they are in demand.

Sure that some people have lost their jobs and don't have cash. But no doubt there are others who are quite happy to lay out a grand to shut their kids up over Christmas, especially since they have not laid out for holidays this year.

It's pretty meaningless to extrapolate the selling price of one in demand limited supply item to the general financial health of UK families.

That plus people are just not making so many everyday discretionary purchases so have saved up for big-ticket items. I was flabbergasted with the demand. 

Yup - More ridiculous than the PlayStation is graphics cards. At least the PlayStation is an entire machine. £700 gpus like the 3080 and 6800xt selling out in seconds, and going for £1k on eBay, and you probably need another 1k of cpu / mb / ram / ssd if you’re going to have a pc to justify the card.

Yup - More ridiculous than the PlayStation is graphics cards. At least the PlayStation is an entire machine. £700 gpus like the 3080 and 6800xt selling out in seconds, and going for £1k on eBay, and you probably need another 1k of cpu / mb / ram / ssd if you’re going to have a pc to justify the card.

Madness. It does feel like there is a lot of money out there.

Tell me about it. Wouldn't mind looking in to building a 3080 based machine (I enjoy my gaming), but good luck trying to get one. There's no way I'm going to pay the eBay gougers. Anyway there are rumours that there'll be a 3080ti next year.

Fair do's. This is first time I've punted on a console. Was more curious what demand there would be.

How did you order so many Wii's?

Years ago argos never had a stock database you could check online.

You had to phone up and key in codes for stores and stock codes. reservations would clear in 24hrs at 12am so I just checked all the local stores and reserved all of them every day in a 50 mile radius.

Bought about 30 of them over a few weeks. Year after did the same with the handheld version. Nice crimbo bonus every year.

Is this because of mining? 

You had to phone up and key in codes for stores and stock codes. reservations would clear in 24hrs at 12am so I just checked all the local stores and reserved all of them every day in a 50 mile radius.

Bought about 30 of them over a few weeks. Year after did the same with the handheld version. Nice crimbo bonus every year.

Diabolical 😂

Crafty. 😂

Tell me about it. Wouldn't mind looking in to building a 3080 based machine (I enjoy my gaming), but good luck trying to get one. There's no way I'm going to pay the eBay gougers. Anyway there are rumours that there'll be a 3080ti next year.

Yeah, I cannot justify buying one until they up the VRAM. My 1080 has 8gb, and in certain productivity applications having more would help (and for longevity reasons for gaming too). The AMD cards have 16gb, which is awesome but they are compromised in other ways. 

Interestingly you can get 3090s (24gb) at their £1500 rrp - there is stock. If I was spending over 1k on a 3080, I’d pony up the extra monkey and be done with it.

Is this because of mining? 

No, mining on gpus isn’t really a big thing any more. It’s purely because there is a decent generational leap that’s meant 4K high quality/ high refresh rate gaming is now feasible. That and the fact that pc gamers enjoy lording it over console gamers. The Xbox series x and the PS5 are absolute bargains for their rrp compared to a Pc with the same horsepower

Clearly there's a lot of excess cash in the bank accounts of people working from home .... I've got a fair few thousand more sloshing around than I would otherwise have as a result of not splashing out on everyday stuff or going out.

There's also high demand (people stuck at home, new generation of consoles only every 6-7 years or so and gfx cards every couple of years, Christmas approaching) and limited stock, so we have a bubble of cash chasing restricted supply.

Fast forward 6-9 months, and see what happens ......  I guess it all depends on how long the governments can keep pumping money into the economy.  At this stage, I'm not even going to call it issuing debt as it's abundantly clear that the debt can never be meaningfully repaid and the authorities are just full bore printing.

Diabolical 😂

Its was great limit supply by reserving stock in stores too far away to force prices up then just collect in the one's I'm happy to collect from.

Always had to pay on those self service machines as it was one person but once you paid there was nothing they could do.

Sometimes I would sell the argos reservation codes on ebay for 50 to mix it up.

Lol

Yeah, I cannot justify buying one until they up the VRAM. My 1080 has 8gb, and in certain productivity applications having more would help (and for longevity reasons for gaming too). The AMD cards have 16gb, which is awesome but they are compromised in other ways. 

Interestingly you can get 3090s (24gb) at their £1500 rrp - there is stock. If I was spending over 1k on a 3080, I’d pony up the extra monkey and be done with it.

Certainly at present gaming-wise I don't think the extra VRAM of the 3090 will make much difference, although I there are non-gaming applications that could certainly make use of it. AFAICT it's a lot of money for what doesn't sound like a massive performance increase.

If I wasn't in to VR I'd probably still be perfectly happy with my 1080, that was a damned good card.

No, mining on gpus isn’t really a big thing any more. It’s purely because there is a decent generational leap that’s meant 4K high quality/ high refresh rate gaming is now feasible. That and the fact that pc gamers enjoy lording it over console gamers. The Xbox series x and the PS5 are absolute bargains for their rrp compared to a Pc with the same horsepower

Ha interesting thanks. 

Well the supply is limited and they are in demand.

Sure that some people have lost their jobs and don't have cash. But no doubt there are others who are quite happy to lay out a grand to shut their kids up over Christmas, especially since they have not laid out for holidays this year.

It's pretty meaningless to extrapolate the selling price of one in demand limited supply item to the general financial health of UK families.

Yep. There are millions of people with a decent disposable income such that they could run to a grand for a big ticket purchase, and this is perfectly consistent with there also being significant economic problems. We're I think about 60th centile for our family size, lost out a little bit because of the pandemic but my games loving husband still would probably be one of those willing to give you a grand for it if he'd not managed to get one through a retailer. I can't stand gaming myself but even I would have to admit that the cost per use can be pretty low. Especially at the moment.

Worked over the road from a record shop.....bought a single and it sold for double online.....for many,cheaper than time driving, cost parking, and the risk that will be sold out.;)

Edited by winkie