House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dhpcza

Gm

I've gone short around the 2200 mark, with 100 pt stop and a 200 point limit (though ill move the stop to past breakeven if i get 30 points in).

Anyway.......What are your opinions on this stock?

I've gone short around the 2200 mark, with 100 pt stop and a 200 point limit (though ill move the stop to past breakeven if i get 30 points in).

Anyway.......What are your opinions on this stock?

Long term, it's a mangy, flea bitten, lousy dog.

Short term, it looks to be at a possible swing low. I reckon it's a long, good for 3 or 4 dollars.

IMO

ROLL THE DICE BABY!

Image039.gif

post-3500-1139564650.gif

Edited by wayneL

I have been following GM & Ford for a while now. They're losing market share to the Japanese manufacturers hand over fist. Take Ford.. their automobile business is actually very unprofitable - it's only their finance division that keeps them afloat. Ford has to spend 10 dollars for every 6 dollars in sales. Clearly this situation is unsustainable. Of the two, If I had to pick one to survive, it would be Ford, purely because I think they make better cars than GM (eg the Focus, which is by all accounts as good as a VW Golf from a technical point of view). If one of them goes under, it could create a huge void in the market which could provide the catalyst for the other to recover.

Long term, it's a mangy, flea bitten, lousy dog.

Short term, it looks to be at a possible swing low. I reckon it's a long, good for 3 or 4 dollars.

IMO

ROLL THE DICE BABY!

right now I would go with this.

your stop might get taken out or maybe not.

best of luck dazw01842

Moved my stop in too soon after i made the trade, so only made a few points. I agree that long term they could well be ******ed. At the time of writing stock is at 21.61. Shorted the dow last night, and have moved my stop in to lock in at least a small gain. Doing all this via spread-betting (small stakes) - interesting stuff :). I might keep logging trades in this thread - when i dont update it, you'll know ive either got rich or (more likely ) gone skint!

Long-term, GM may do OK. The problem is that before they get to the OK stage, they have to go bankrupt, cancel their debts and dump their pension liabilities onto the US taxpayers... otherwise I'd say it's going to be simply impossible for them to compete when they have hundreds of billions of dollars of debts and liabilities which foreign companies don't have.

This week's Fortune has a black cover with the following words in large type on it:

"It is the instinctive wish of most American businesspeople, even those unlikely to be directly affected, that General Motors not go bankrupt. True, some people will say, "They had it coming to them." But the majority will be more practical, telling themselves that the company is so central to the economy, so sprawling in its commercial reach, that bankruptcy--"going into chapter," as restructuring folks say--is ominous almost beyond contemplation. And yet the evidence points, with increasing certitude, to bankruptcy. Rick Wagoner, GM's 53-year-old chairman and CEO, may say, as he did in a January interview with FORTUNE in his aerie of an office high above the Detroit River, "I know that things will turn around." But he cannot know that. He may not, deep down, even believe it himself...."

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...69111/index.htm

Its a very interesting and in depth piece on GMs problems

You may want to consider the fact that both GM & Ford are taking action to overcome their problems.

GM would take approximately forever to pay off their debts by laying off workers.

Ok, shorted the dow at 10891, 30 point stop, 60 point limit (both subject to change if the price moves in my favour). Lets see how it goes.

*edit, also shorted the ftse shortly afterwards, at 5776, with a 39 point stop, and a 78 point limit (again, subject to change if things go my way).

Edited by dazw01842

Well, dow stopped out, and i closed the ftse for a 6 pt loss to free up margin, as ive just shorted starbucks (sbux) at 34.25. See how this pans out...

*edit just to add, stop at 3505, limit at 3265 (subject to change).

Edited by dazw01842

Ok, Sbux was closed today, not got a good feeling about that one, so closed early. My overall loss was about 44 points. tut, very silly.

Short the dow today - watch it smash 11k now. If you want to get rich, do the opposite of me. Think of this as a free anti tipping service. Good day! :D

haha...oh dear... :lol:

Tempted to go long the ftse tmrw, but im back where i started moneywise, and i think i shall withdraw while no damage is done. Now remember, that means im not going long ftse tmrw, do the opposite, and u will win :)

Some ideas for you...

Go short the dow with a 1,000 point stop. As the peak will be in 1 day or 1 year so you'd need a monster stop.

Go long gold with a 200 point stop. Inflation means you shouldn't be stopped out even if deflation occurs.

etc.

Basically short stops (mean short as in 5% of the current value) only work if you guess the top/bottom. Look at most graphs and see the volatility it's nearly impossible to pick the top. Yes the dow will fall but it's top might be 11K or 11,500 or even 12K before it starta long and volatile drop to 4-5K.

Remember the wheels of the stock market are greased by the cash of the amateur investor.

Some ideas for you...

Go short the dow with a 1,000 point stop. As the peak will be in 1 day or 1 year so you'd need a monster stop.

Go long gold with a 200 point stop. Inflation means you shouldn't be stopped out even if deflation occurs.

etc.

Basically short stops (mean short as in 5% of the current value) only work if you guess the top/bottom. Look at most graphs and see the volatility it's nearly impossible to pick the top. Yes the dow will fall but it's top might be 11K or 11,500 or even 12K before it starta long and volatile drop to 4-5K.

Remember the wheels of the stock market are greased by the cash of the amateur investor.

Wise words. You need a degree of luck to accurately call a significant market top/bottom...

Need fairly deep pockets to avoid a margin call, and pay for the rollover on long positions too. It's an idea if you have money you dont need to access in a hurry, and you're sure of the long term position. Sadly I'm neither! lol

Alas, we all knew here that it was a dog (most of you knew a lot more than me!) Sadly I didn't have the resources/know-how to make any money from it! Anyway, an interesting bump.

Alas, we all knew here that it was a dog (most of you knew a lot more than me!) Sadly I didn't have the resources/know-how to make any money from it! Anyway, an interesting bump.

It was a good first call by you though.