House Price Crash Forum

The pandemic has made it clear that housing is England's greatest divide

Can you imagine what it must be like living in a crappy HMO during this crisis, especially if you already have health problems. 

And one of your house mates works at the local hospital as a paramedic. 

Can you imagine what it must be like living in a crappy HMO during this crisis, especially if you already have health problems. 

I can speak from experience, I did it for 2 months and was working from an ironing board as my desk, it was horrible. Couldn't even use the kitchen when I wanted to due to everyone WFH.

I feel sorry for people who have to endure this life into their 30s and 40s.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/17/pandemic-housing-england-divide-owners-tenants

The pandemic has made it clear that housing is England's greatest divide

Coronavirus has highlighted the gap between owners and tenants – and how politicians are failing to close it

Tue 17 Nov 2020 05.40 EST

What I’ve learned, and partly as a result of visiting this site, is that 99.999% of the population don’t have any regard for discussing or even considering house price rises or potential crashes.

In fact most people who p*ss themselves laughing if they saw the tens of thousands of posts about something that hasn’t even happened, not even during  2020...

I can speak from experience, I did it for 2 months and was working from an ironing board as my desk, it was horrible. Couldn't even use the kitchen when I wanted to due to everyone WFH.

I feel sorry for people who have to endure this life into their 30s and 40s.

Vote Labour. Get some decent social housing built.

Twit.

Yeah cause Blair and Brown built so much. Would Corbyn/Starmer be any different?

Blair was the poster boy for BTL and private renting.

If you haven’t figured out that politicising the housing issue isn’t the answer then you are lost.

Edited by PalmerEldritch

Yeah cause Blair and Brown built so much. Would Corbin/Starmer be any different?

Blair was the poster boy for BTL and private renting.

If you haven’t figured out that politicising the housing issue isn’t the answer then you are lost.

Corbyn as continuity Blair? :rolleyes:

The housing issue is already politicised. It was Osborne's choice to underwrite an echo housing bubble with public money; he didn't have to. There's only way to repair the market wihtout causing an almighty recession and that's to commission a nationwide program of general needs social housing similar to the one adopted after WWII. It would immediately relieve the acute demand pressure in the private rental sector while at the same time putting the country back to work.

And one of your house mates works at the local hospital as a paramedic. 

Yeah but they are young with fully fuctioning autoimmune defence systems far far far from the age of 82 so are ripe as herd immunity 'clients'. That is according to the resident anti-mask bed-wetters @Grayphil @Mikhail Liebenstein @The Preacherman @nightowl etc...

The housing issue is already politicised. It was Osborne's choice to underwrite an echo housing bubble with public money; he didn't have to. There's only way to repair the market wihtout causing an almighty recession and that's to commission a nationwide program of general needs social housing similar to the one adopted after WWII. It would immediately relieve the acute demand pressure in the private rental sector while at the same time putting the country back to work.

And collapsing btl investments, the ones owned by most mps. 

Nothings going to change until something drastic happens. 

A bank collapse, brexit and a pandemic and the ####s are still inflating their unearned untaxed wealth 

You have a pre Blairite mindset to solving the issue.

There’s no way back, no putting the Genie back in the bottle. Mass social housing is not a solution and there’s no appetite for that except with the trots who yearn for the good old days where entire generations of the population could be written off and kept herded on their estates.

Markets and economics (or pandemics) may swing back to favour the buyer at some point despite political influence but to blindly believe a party will resolve this is just pure delusional wishful thinking.

lol best joke all day 

Have you felt good about the UK we live in for the last 10 years? To me it has felt like a continual decline with more and more people unhappy.

I can't really think of a single thing the Conservative government has done that has made it a better place. You?

Have you felt good about the UK we live in for the last 10 years? To me it has felt like a continual decline with more and more people unhappy.

I can't really think of a single thing the Conservative government has done that has made it a better place. You?

The UK has been on the slide for a long time but as always, the Tories are the party for the few, not the many.

Mass social housing is not a solution and there’s no appetite for that except with the trots who yearn for the good old days where entire generations of the population could be written off and kept herded on their estates.

Worked ok for the Tory supporting mill owners and mine owners who kept entire generations to be written off and kept herded in their back to backs.

You have a pre Blairite mindset to solving the issue.

There’s no way back, no putting the Genie back in the bottle.

What genie is this? The genie of national bankruptcy and sovereign debt default? :D

do you really think a few more council houses are going to fix this ? the problem isn't only supply 

No, I think that 2 million council houses is going to fix it. The problem is almost entirely supply.