House Price Crash Forum

Chancellor considers plan to CHARGE motorists for every mile they drive on UK roads to fill £40billion tax hole

Warlord

HOLA441

Toll roads seem to work ok and not too difficult to implement with modern technology.

I think the government should auction off the roads and let people sort it out themselves.

Piffle. There's less traffic on the M6 Toll now than there was when it opened in 2004.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Toll roads seem to work ok and not too difficult to implement with modern technology.

I think the government should auction off the roads and let people sort it out themselves.

I already live on Private road, works fine, we all pay £20 pcm into a service company that is run buy the residents.  Not ever had to be worked on since it was built. The benefit is i do own the kerb outside my house, and can tell people who perk there without my permission to fook off, and give them the third degree about how di they get through the coded Gate to the estate. 

Man it is so sweet to see their faces when they cant use the "you dont own the road / kerb" line the plebs have to put up with.

HOLA444
HOLA445

This will have a terrible impact on concentrated shopping areas, city centres, commercial/office areas etc....

People who do shop will now look to join the home shopping bandwagon, work form home rather than drive to work etc...etc... Shops, services, restaurants etc who rely on walk-in custom would be driven to further debt and losses.

HOLA446

Wouldnt the easiest way to collect the mileage revenue be to whack up the tax on fuel?.

eg estimate car does 20 miles/gallon, then incease fuel tax by £20/gallon if the tax is £1/mile.

Perfect. Agree with that too.  Buy 2025 Diesel will be £5 a litre. Like it, gets my vote. lets drain the filthy polluters with ever increasing fuel duty. 

HOLA447
HOLA448

This will have a terrible impact on concentrated shopping areas, city centres, commercial/office areas etc....

People who do shop will now look to join the home shopping bandwagon, work form home rather than drive to work etc...etc... Shops, services, restaurants etc who rely on walk-in custom would be driven to further debt and losses.

unless you are "economically forced" to move into the towns and cities.

Will also keep HPI going

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Electric cars and hybrids use less braking as they use regenerative braking.

my brake discs and pads have been changed once on my hybrid after over 200k miles 

It’s not just from brakes, but also from tyre wear, especially as EVs are typically heavier than ICE..

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/this-is-why-electric-cars-won't-stop-air-pollution

HOLA4411

Have to agree with getting rubbish diesel's off the roads.

Diesel engines should only have been used for trucks and buses, like in the good old days.

It's becasue of all the dumb middle classes buying diesels to be "green".....lol, that the environmental lobby is forcing just about everyone off the road now.

How anyone could ever have thought that a p1sh diesel oil burner was any good for air quality is hilarious.  They'' all pay the price for buying those sh1tters now.

HOLA4412

Have to agree with getting rubbish diesel's off the roads.

Diesel engines should only have been used for trucks and buses, like in the good old days.

It's becasue of all the dumb middle classes buying diesels to be "green".....lol, that the environmental lobby is forcing just about everyone off the road now.

How anyone could ever have thought that a p1sh diesel oil burner was any good for air quality is hilarious.  They'' all pay the price for buying those sh1tters now.

I drive a diesel, mostly for the tractability and low down torque. Also, diesel is a more energetic fuel than petrol and hence more economical.

HOLA4413

This could work but not at £1.50 a mile, that’s nuts.

The cost is not the point, the price will always go up.......it is all about living and travelling in a different way......taking away freedom of movement and individual choices......covid and Brexit the start of things to come.......rent as you go until you die.;)

HOLA4414

Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for every mile they drive on Britain's roads to fill a £40billion tax hole left by a push to electric cars, according to reports.

The Chancellor is reportedly 'very interested' in the idea of a national road pricing scheme - which would steer motorists into a new 'pay-as-you-drive' type system. 

A similar type of scheme was dramatically shelved by Labour in 2007 amid uproar that drivers could be charged up to £1.50 a mile.

Road pricing in England is limited to schemes such as the M6 Toll in the Midlands, the Dartford crossing on the M25, London's Congestion Zone and a handful of small tunnels and bridges.

But a national scheme is now being considered amid fears a switch to electric vehicles will leave a massive tax shortfall from the loss of key revenue raisers such as Fuel Duty and Vehicle Excise Duty, according to the Times.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8951969/Rishi-Sunak-considers-plan-charge-motorists-mile-drive-Britains-roads.html

This guy is pure evil...

You said in your other thread you're happy to pay for road use? 

HOLA4415

Because if you only consider CO2 and going up and down the motorway they are better than petrol for air quality. Diesels that spend most of their mileage in urban stop-start traffic were and are terrible, the reason we've ended up with so many is the result of over-simplified one size fits all thinking. We're potentially doing the same thing again by trying to get rid of all of them instead of the areas where they cause the most problems, and those areas are also the ones where electric cars are most suitable. But trying to get rid of all diesels is a harder problem than getting rid of most, for little extra gain.

HOLA4416

HOLA4417

^ -I read something a few years back about batteries with roughly the energy density of petrol, which would be a pretty major thing. The downsides were that I think they only existed on very small scales in labs and were phenomenally unstable (if you're worried about lithium batteries catching fire...) but that at least demonstrated it's theoretically possible to have much better batteries, so it's not too far-fetched that someone could've moved on with that. Hope so, it's actually something I can be net positive about!

HOLA4418

In response to this I'm in favour of price per mile and anyone who uses an Uber is already accepting the entire concept of pricing a journey based on demand and distance (and giving your data out too). 

You can more easily charge diesels for driving into polluted areas and reward them for staying on motorways. You can have varied pricing based on your time of commute to more efficiently utilise the infrastructure. 

If anything this increasingly supports the local community and towns and would encourage people to walk or cycle to get about for short journeys. 

Driving isn't some basic human right despite what the DailyWail carps on about cyclists, road taxes and EVs. I'd rather the chavvy boy racer with the stupid exhaust got hammered heavier for driving about aimlessly and cretinous diesel powered 4X4 owners got destroyed for dropping the darlings off at a town centre school in rush hour.  

HOLA4419

^ -I read something a few years back about batteries with roughly the energy density of petrol, which would be a pretty major thing. The downsides were that I think they only existed on very small scales in labs and were phenomenally unstable (if you're worried about lithium batteries catching fire...) but that at least demonstrated it's theoretically possible to have much better batteries, so it's not too far-fetched that someone could've moved on with that. Hope so, it's actually something I can be net positive about!

I think it is! Looks very promising. The main issues were needing pure aluminium which has been overcome. The new electrolyte is stable. The downside is they need to be recycled and can't be recharged but that in itself is a simply process and can be done with renewable energy alone. More power, longer ranges and quicker fuelling times than existing ICE. 

If they can scale it it'll be curtains for anything else including Lithium!

HOLA4420

ha, ha, ha, poor boy, you are deluded. As a two family electric car, you need ludites the "nudge" to electric. This will be an extra cost for ALL drivers, basically for ICE drivers a "pollution tax" per mile.  

We were planning on electric in 2026 when the Japanese tariff is removed. 

HOLA4421

Win, win for an authoritarian government. More money and, more importantly, more surveillance.

Yes, I'd say that this is almost as much about getting the population under tabs as it is about the money.

We can't have people moving around all over the place in vehicles without the authorities knowing about it.

HOLA4422

Yes, I'd say that this is almost as much about getting the population under tabs as it is about the money.

We can't have people moving around all over the place in vehicles without the authorities knowing about it.

Not unless they're going to Barnard Castle to test their eyesight. Or visiting a Tech Entrepreneur at her flat. 

Lockdown in Dubai involved all traffic cameras logging plates on the roads after curfew. Despite us having many times higher density of CCTV I have no fears of that ever happening here.  

HOLA4423

Q. How do we stop big city house prices falling?.

A. Make people want to move back in.

Q. How do we do that?.

A. Screw them if they commute

Or a slight twist on that:

1. Announce the policy in advance, knowing there is no govt time to actually introduce it, but which still might have the effect of slowing or stopping the rush of people all trying to move out from London at once.

2. Sell own house in central London before it's too late.

HOLA4424

It’s not just from brakes, but also from tyre wear, especially as EVs are typically heavier than ICE..

https://www.imeche.org/news/news-article/this-is-why-electric-cars-won't-stop-air-pollution

So less engine noise, less petrol and diesel exhaust fumes, less brake dust

at a trade off for some more tire wear, I would take that anyday! 

Just the war on pollution with continue with steadily improving tyre compounds 

Edited by jiltedjen

HOLA4425