House Price Crash Forum

Waiting list for council homes in England ‘will double to 2 million’

Maybe the practice of selling them off at a massive discount needs to end 🤔

It has ended, virtually. The discounts have been reduced and offers have been restricted to certain types of tenancy, to the best of my knowledge.

The problem is government/local authorities/housing associations have gone no where towards replacing those already sold off.

It has ended, virtually. The discounts have been reduced and offers have been restricted to certain types of tenancy, to the best of my knowledge.

The problem is government/local authorities/housing associations have gone no where towards replacing those already sold off.

I am not against a massive home building program to be fair.  Just where do you build ? Too much NIMBY-ism 

We need to start building on the green and pleasant land but vested interests will never allow it

Maybe the practice of selling them off at a massive discount needs to end 🤔

Reducing the discount % and increasing the payback period would reduce flippers.   (any resale profit in 1st year is clawback at 100% which goes to down to 20% in the fifth year of ownership,via a charging order currently)

I bought mine RTB at a 45% discount, after 16 years renting. So 70k 3 bed in stoke on trent for 36k! , in reality was worth about 50k ish cash at auction, (unmodernised, no central heating, yob area, low wages, high unemployment). I spent about the same again on extensive restortation.

I am apreciative of it but did it through housing need rather than trying to select the nicest postcode in the country, or make a fortune out of it. 

Reducing the discount % and increasing the payback period would reduce flippers.   (any resale profit in 1st year is clawback at 100% which goes to down to 20% in the fifth year of ownership,via a charging order currently)

I bought mine RTB at a 45% discount, after 16 years renting. So 70k 3 bed in stoke on trent for 36k! , in reality was worth about 50k ish cash at auction, (unmodernised, no central heating, yob area, low wages, high unemployment). I spent about the same again on extensive restortation.

I am apreciative of it but did it through housing need rather than trying to select the nicest postcode in the country, or make a fortune out of it. 

I've always thought that the council should take a pro-rata share of any increase in value of a right to buy home, the first time it is sold on. Could be a nice windfall to help fund housing provisions. 

Your situation sounds fair enough. I live just just down the A34 and in my town there ir are plenty of homes that have been modified at council expense and then purchased at a knock down price. On my estate you can tell many of the recently council owned houses due to the modifications they've received. 

How much total rent paid over 16 years?;)

Labour have no interest in providing cheap housing.

EVEN if they wanted to our finances as a nation are so SCREWED thanks to Brown and now Sunak and his job retention scheme or whatever he calls it costing 10's of billions.

Think of the housing that could be built with this !! 

Or the money p1ssed away over the years by the government and the eye watering sums borrowed.

It makes me bloody livid...

@longgone has made this point before.

Labour have no interest in providing cheap housing.

From the 2019 manifesto.

https://labour.org.uk/issues/housing-for-the-many/

Whatever measure you choose, Britain’s housing system is broken. Homelessness is up by 50% since 2010, rough sleeping has doubled, and 120,000 children are without a home to call their own.

Home-ownership has fallen to a 30-year low and the average home now costs eight times the average annual salary. Social housing waiting lists rise while luxury flats stand empty, and thousands are living in homes unfit for human habitation.

This is a crisis. Current Conservative housing policy is failing to fix it, so the next Labour Government must.

This is a crisis. Current Conservative housing policy is failing to fix it, so the next Labour Government must.

...and the Tories and the Daily Heil just wait in the wings ready with the 'Tax n Spend' label

Separate Council Housing into 'Emergency' and 'Social' housing.

Emergency Housing - created for short term / problem needs. Built with support services (social workers etc).  Camerons 'Troubled Families' policy had promising results

Social Hosing - built alongside existing providers, but tied to creating a stable community.  Applications only:

• If you have a 10 year tie to area and have employment and have paid council tax
  • No convictions in the last 5 years
  • Qualified citizenship / residency

A solution to this is comprehensive reform of the private rented sector to make social housing less attractive. 

Also I think many people who comment about this issue have a very rose tinted picture of social housing too. 

Social housing is great if you only want to live in the local area, have family nearby but it's not good for aspiration, say if you want to apply for a job or university course in another town or city, plans like that become pretty much impossible unless you give up your tenancy and go back to an AST or have some long term plan to move elsewhere and use mutual exchange with all its vagaries. 

Thus, you end up with large swathes of people will little aspiration or incentive to better themselves. This can put a brake on social mobility.

Don't get me wrong I hate the PRS, I'm just saying, reform and give social tenants an incentive to move.

Edited by spacedin

Stoke on Trent never had massive Price increase, How much is it worth now £80k

Lilac Close, Crackley, Chesterton, Staffordshire, ST5 7DH

See map

£75,000
82919_10209046_IMG_01_0000.jpg
Edited by shlomo

A solution to this is comprehensive reform of the private rented sector to make social housing less attractive. 

Also I think many people who comment about this issue have a very rose tinted picture of social housing too. 

Social housing is great if you only want to live in the local area, have family nearby but it's not good for aspiration, say if you want to apply for a job or university course in another town or city, plans like that become pretty much impossible unless you give up your tenancy and go back to an AST or have some long term plan to move elsewhere and use mutual exchange with all its vagaries. 

Thus, you end up with large swathes of people will little aspiration or incentive to better themselves. This can put a brake on social mobility.

Don't get me wrong I hate the PRS, I'm just saying, reform and give social tenants an incentive to move.

Council housing is there to fix a specific problem - how to house communities, and build them up into contributing to the council.

There will should be a PRS - regulated, monitored, and controlled - same as any other area.  What needs removing is the idea of leveraged payments, entitled scumlords, and the 'it's my pension, innit' bridage out to make a fast buck.  UK PRS is ripe for Pension companies that are capital rich, but want a solid income.  It's the fallout from 'evictions' that holds them back - adding 'emergency' housing stock would be a help.

Just force people to save up for a deposit, that will stop at least 50% of the sales. 

From the 2019 manifesto.

https://labour.org.uk/issues/housing-for-the-many/

Whatever measure you choose, Britain’s housing system is broken. Homelessness is up by 50% since 2010, rough sleeping has doubled, and 120,000 children are without a home to call their own.

Home-ownership has fallen to a 30-year low and the average home now costs eight times the average annual salary. Social housing waiting lists rise while luxury flats stand empty, and thousands are living in homes unfit for human habitation.

Empty words, they did ****** all about it when they last had 3 terms in a row in power relatively recently.

Actually it did, in % terms for a while before 2008; little terrace 2 beds for 15k quadrupling in a decade. I could have just about bought my house in cash shortly after moving in, but the place was dismal with half of the properties boarded up and unoccupied. (I had a choice of 20 deserted houses in my street, originally applied for a flat but they were keen to get houses occupied). 

Probably more than 80k now as it has a minibar,hottub and decking in the garden.

One other thing I think that also gets overlooked with social housing is the state some of these properties are in and the expectation that the tenant spend money on them. 

Don't get me wrong this doesn't necessarily have to involve much expense, especially if you're good at DIY but it's generally not something you'd do in the PRS. 

The majority of housing in the PRS is furnished too, so there's also that added cost and yet again another incentive for you not to move. 

Lilac Close, Crackley, Chesterton, Staffordshire, ST5 7DH

See map

£75,000
82919_10209046_IMG_01_0000.jpg

You have quite well illustrated exactly why there was a big rise in certain properties - the piss takers just laughing at what a dive it is, others noting silly cheap houses with very high rental yeilds.   Number 3 sold for 12k in 1999..,even with tripled 'values' elsewhere it is pretty strong HPI. Looks like a prefab?