House Price Crash Forum

Is their going to be a COUP in the USA

Is their going to be a COUP in the USA  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is their going to be a COUP in the USA

Is the USA on the verge of a Coup.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/11/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-transition/index.html

President Donald Trump's administration is taking on the characteristics of a tottering regime -- with its loyalty tests, destabilizing attacks on the military chain of command, a deepening bunker mentality and increasingly delusional claims of political victory.

In response, a visibly confident President-elect Joe Biden is going out of his way to project calm amid the deepening chaos, even as Trump and senior Republicans still refuse to acknowledge the President's defeat in a stunning break with America's democratic traditions.
Biden is taking calls with leaders of the country's top allies and appearing on camera, which reflects the inevitability of his ascent to power. Meanwhile the President is staying behind closed doors, tweeting in wild block capital letters and unleashing a purge of the Pentagon's civilian leadership in what one current defense official called "dictator moves." And William Cohen, former Secretary of Defense and Republican senator, said the administration's conduct is "more akin to a dictatorship than a democracy."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it's bluster. It's a footballer complaining to the ref after being sent off. It's the impotent "I'll show you" shaking of the fist to the manager after being fired. It's the angry remark from a salesman when you decide not to proceed with the sale.

So all very good and fun things to watch!

No, it's bluster. It's a footballer complaining to the ref after being sent off. It's the impotent "I'll show you" shaking of the fist to the manager after being fired. It's the angry remark from a salesman when you decide not to proceed with the sale.

So all very good and fun things to watch!

Agreed.

When Hitler, PolPot, Lenin, HoChiMinh etc had a setback in overthrowing the system, they didn't go and play golf.

I voted no because I think coups need physical action and bloated Don has all the dynamism of a stale McD's bun. He could no more incite action than he could touch his toes without scudding his adult nappy. 

Its not that straightforward. While we were scavenging for toilet rolls Americans were queuing up to buy guns.

Trump has been stoking up the tensions - especially racial tensions - that cause American gun anxiety as well as populism.  

Its not that straightforward. While we were scavenging for toilet rolls Americans were queuing up to buy guns.

Trump has been stoking up the tensions - especially racial tensions - that cause American gun anxiety as well as populism.  

I think only a minority of Trump supporters would actively use weapons. Most will accept the result but feel they were robbed.

Sure, but the guys buying the guns are obese thickos. Unless the military are siding with him - are they? Do the generals that he regularly insulted want another civil war?

Agreed.

When Hitler, PolPot, Lenin, HoChiMinh etc had a setback in overthrowing the system, they didn't go and play golf.

Hitler loved a good rally and abused the constitution to get himself into power without violent overthrow or revolution. He actually sprung to mind as the best comparator to Trump, but I am wary of Goodwin's law.

Hitler loved a good rally and abused the constitution to get himself into power without violent overthrow or revolution. He actually sprung to mind as the best comparator to Trump, but I am wary of Goodwin's law.

Did Hitler play golf though?

Edited by Si1

I think for a coup, you need to have the military on your side.

Let's not argue about definitions - if Trump is trying to overturn a democratic election, it is basically a coup, or whatever the the correct term is.

I never ls worry about Goodwin's law. If I see parallels between modern politicians and 20th century fascist dictators, I say so.

Agreed.

I guess by playing Golf Trump is creating a vacuum...

"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer."

-   Peruvian Shining Path guerrilla officer

or was it Axl Rose?

I voted yes just for the drama and comedy value of it all. ;)

The trouble America now has is that 70 million people voted for Trump, so it's nearly a 50/50 split.

If Biden had actually done better, none of this would even be on the cards.

Same here!!!

I never ls worry about Goodwin's law. If I see parallels between modern politicians and 20th century fascist dictators, I say so.

May be Trump will enact the US equivalent of Operation Valkyrie:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Valkyrie

Though he might want to check which way round he has  things, as Claus von Stauffenberg was trying to remove the mad dictator.

Trump simply doesn't have the motivation. Germany's economy and pride lay in tatters and Hitler himself had a visceral hatred of the Jews having caught syphilis off a Jewish prostitute, I believe. I don't think Trump has quite the same axe to grind.

It's all silly (unless... Unless they found solid evidence of 50,000 stuffed ballots, now that would be a game changer. )

The army is solidly behind the constitution. They'd need a solid constitutional excuse to start shooting looters, wokeists and other assorted criminals.  

Trump will golf off into the sunset directly he gets the same free pardon that he gave to Hilary Clinton.  (But poor Joe and kalamity may not play ball)

What do we mean by Coup here?

Trump overthrowing a legit election result?

OR

Are you saying the election result is invalid and its the Dems who are staging the coup with an illegitimate election result?

Either way I think it would be the supreme courts job to make that call.

Fortunately they are a mature democracy with distribution of power and in general, those in positions of power throughout the country are good people, there though merit.

So no, I cant see a coup happening in the leader of the western world.

But...if it does...we are all screwed.

What do we mean by Coup here?

Trump overthrowing a legit election result?

OR

Are you saying the election result is invalid and its the Dems who are staging the coup with an illegitimate election result?

Either way I think it would be the supreme courts job to make that call.

Fortunately they are a mature democracy with distribution of power and in general, those in positions of power throughout the country are good people, there though merit.

So no, I cant see a coup happening in the leader of the western world.

But...if it does...we are all screwed.

One fine day Rome fell......

00-4fallrome-1280x720.jpg