House Price Crash Forum

did you scan the radio waves as a kid ?

Back in the 80s we had a world band radio

National panasonic that had loads of funky bands on it, picked up police a lot, among other things. Did you ever scan for the numbers stations ?

https://youtu.be/u0F984w4vLQ

Back in the 80s we had a world band radio

National panasonic that had loads of funky bands on it, picked up police a lot, among other things. Did you ever scan for the numbers stations ?

https://youtu.be/u0F984w4vLQ

Yep, I did, and remember the East German number stations.

That said, I always wondered why they didn't use a scrambler - but I guess shortwave radio was a bit flakey.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Yep, I did, and remember the East German number stations.

That said, I always wondered why they didn't use a scrambler - but I guess shortwave radio was a bit flakey.

i always thought they used some kind of proprietary morse code special stasi spetznas language

we had this beauty loved the light button the top 🤣

s-l1600.jpg

Somewhere at my parents house is one of these (video below). I remember messing about with it as a kid after my old man brought it back from a business trip to Japan, really cool piece of hardware; nice design, tuning meter and the side rotary dial feels very mechanical. I should of messed about with it more but can remember picking up aviation transmissions and wierd sh1t on SW, all in all though a real design classic I think.

The coolest thing I ever did with radio though was when I worked in maritime Nav. and Coms. High frequency modem coupled to an SSB transceiver with RS232 connection to a laptop for emails via the SSB. Awesome! Digital gets turned into analogue tones that then bounce off the ionosphere to a base station thousands of miles away and then re-encoded into digital and injected into the net from the base station. I sent emails from a yacht in Wales to a base station on east coast US and back to me, great fun. When I was in Chile I stayed at a farm that was operating one of these base stations and it was amazing seeing the transceiver constantly shifting frequencies and feeding text into the internet.

One of these is what me old man brought back Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4qNUcdzBc

Somewhere at my parents house is one of these (video below). I remember messing about with it as a kid after my old man brought it back from a business trip to Japan, really cool piece of hardware; nice design, tuning meter and the side rotary dial feels very mechanical. I should of messed about with it more but can remember picking up aviation transmissions and wierd sh1t on SW, all in all though a real design classic I think.

The coolest thing I ever did with radio though was when I worked in maritime Nav. and Coms. High frequency modem coupled to an SSB transceiver with RS232 connection to a laptop for emails via the SSB. Awesome! Digital gets turned into analogue tones that then bounce off the ionosphere to a base station thousands of miles away and then re-encoded into digital and injected into the net from the base station. I sent emails from a yacht in Wales to a base station on east coast US and back to me, great fun. When I was in Chile I stayed at a farm that was operating one of these base stations and it was amazing seeing the transceiver constantly shifting frequencies and feeding text into the internet.

One of these is what me old man brought back Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4qNUcdzBc

essentially its just a load of protocols, not dissimilar to how old routers used x25 to tcpip or token ring to ethernet. 

my car has DAB and if you set the station logo to show song titles its actually downloads album covers and the radio station DJimage via the radio station to a jpg image. 

pretty cool first time a saw it. but then everything is data after all.