House Price Crash Forum

Scam phone calls on landline - Childish retribution and more sensible suggestions?

So in my house shared with myself and an elderly parent, we recently and fairly regulary (once a week, sometimes twice a day) get scam calls (usually with an asian accent) claiming to be from Virgin media saying I need to login to windows to diagnose an issue with the internet. Now, a couple of things, we are no longer on Virgin Media and secondly I'm fairly tech savvy and wised up to scams like this.

So what I've done last two times is played it dumb and gone a long with it, in the meantime I've cued a song on my PC, set it to play very loudly, lined up the phone next to the speaker and Powwwww!!!! Loud as hell! Hopefully they are wearing headset and they lose hearing! Lolz. I may advance this strategy and line up a high freq sine wave for next time...mhwuahahaha!

I reccomend having ear defenders for yourself if you try this method, you don't want to damge your hearing after all ;)

But it angers me so much that elderly and non tech people will fall for this, why the fudge don't the phone operators/government don't do more? My mum would definintely fall for this if I did not make her aware.

Now for a more sensible solution, I know there are call blocking phone handsets by all the big brands, BT, panasonic etc and I think BT ones are reccomended right? I'm on Sky if that makes any difference, and I have caller ID. You don't need to be on a BT customer to use call blocking features do you?

What particular models are recomened? Any other suggestions?

So in my house shared with myself and an elderly parent, we recently and fairly regulary (once a week, sometimes twice a day) get scam calls (usually with an asian accent) claiming to be from Virgin media saying I need to login to windows to diagnose an issue with the internet. Now, a couple of things, we are no longer on Virgin Media and secondly I'm fairly tech savvy and wised up to scams like this.

So what I've done last two times is played it dumb and gone a long with it, in the meantime I've cued a song on my PC, set it to play very loudly, lined up the phone next to the speaker and Powwwww!!!! Loud as hell! Hopefully they are wearing headset and they lose hearing! Lolz. I may advance this strategy and line up a high freq sine wave for next time...mhwuahahaha!

I reccomend having ear defenders for yourself if you try this method, you don't want to damge your hearing after all ;)

But it angers me so much that elderly and non tech people will fall for this, why the fudge don't the phone operators/government don't do more? My mum would definintely fall for this if I did not make her aware.

Now for a more sensible solution, I know there are call blocking phone handsets by all the big brands, BT, panasonic etc and I think BT ones are reccomended right? I'm on Sky if that makes any difference, and I have caller ID. You don't need to be on a BT customer to use call blocking features do you?

What particular models are recomened? Any other suggestions?

Get a second computer or run a virtual machine (Oracle Virtual Box or Hyper-V are free)  connected to the internet. Then locate a bitcoin wallet that allows wallet monitoring of public addresses and find a large Bitcoin account, and display that wallet. Next time the hackers call, install the remote session software on the VM on the spare PC and watch them waste ages!!!