House Price Crash Forum

Just about to put house on sale, have I missed the boat?

I intend to put my house on sale in about 2 weeks, I'm currently getting some work finished off. The house is a 3 bedroom 1940s semi in Dunmurry. Have I missed the boat? Are houses still selling?

Houses seem to be moving on and off the Propertypal site fairly quick.  I wouldn’t hang about too long as I think the bubble will burst soon.  The post Christmas world will be like a mad max film

I agree I could see things getting very scary after Christmas, but I'd say shit will really only hit the fan after the end of the stamp duty holiday at the end of March. I can't imagine repossessions materializing for a year or so, but I would think a lot of buy-to-let landlords would wisely through in the towel soon.

Id say get a move on. I personally think the min bubble has already burst, you'll maybe not get fantastic money, but it will 100% sell. The problem now, for you, is there seems to be a large increase in listing. The time to sell was 2/3 months ago. 

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

All very true, whether now or in May the market is about to slide and it’s not going to be pretty.  Maybe only 20% falls in some areas as prices in NI are relatively cheap.  North coast will see some properties lose 70% at least, grotty bungalows at 500k is just nuts.  

The next crash has probably been delayed a few months by the news of furlough going back up to 80%. Would expect to see mass redundancies soon after this is reduced again, assuming the government don’t extend it again.

Beginning to think they'll destroy the currency before they'll stop furlough. Bit like QE and HTB, once the props are in place, it's nearly impossible to remove them. 

North coast will see some properties lose 70% at least, grotty bungalows at 500k is just nuts.  

Don’t think we’ll see 70% loss on any property in North Coast.  Wishful thinking.

Didn't see 70% loss post 2008-2012 in this region.

Don’t think we’ll see 70% loss on any property in North Coast.  Wishful thinking.

Didn't see 70% loss post 2008-2012 in this region.

Gosh I hope your right, of course prices were much lower then but fingers crossed it’s less than that 

I honestly think next year we will see huge economic fall out from all of the factors at play, furlough, bounce back loans, Brexit but mostly low interest rates for too long. It's gonna be a shit show, the likes of which will dwarf 2008/9, unfortunately the more you meddle with a market the more volatile it becomes and the bigger the drop when all goes kaboom! I have sympathy for any government in control at this time, they really can't win. Leave all alone, mass job losses and huge economic damage, provide support - market spikes followed by even greater job losses and even greater economic damage. The problem is if the house price falls are dramatic enough the whole banking system and the rest of the economy will collapse with it. 

I honestly think next year we will see huge economic fall out from all of the factors at play, furlough, bounce back loans, Brexit but mostly low interest rates for too long. It's gonna be a shit show, the likes of which will dwarf 2008/9, unfortunately the more you meddle with a market the more volatile it becomes and the bigger the drop when all goes kaboom! I have sympathy for any government in control at this time, they really can't win. Leave all alone, mass job losses and huge economic damage, provide support - market spikes followed by even greater job losses and even greater economic damage. The problem is if the house price falls are dramatic enough the whole banking system and the rest of the economy will collapse with it. 

The 2008 issue was different from now, major banks went under and as a result they’re all in a much stronger situation to weather the storm now. Falls yes, for all the reasons you’ve mentioned but a shit show to dwarf 2008, don’t think so.

The 2008 issue was different from now, major banks went under and as a result they’re all in a much stronger situation to weather the storm now. Falls yes, for all the reasons you’ve mentioned but a shit show to dwarf 2008, don’t think so.

If the government money isn't kept pumping, we're going to see enough corporate failures to take the banks down with them. 

What happens when the job losses go through the roof, people default on their mortgages and rent in droves, and the majority of the population get completely spooked into holding everything they can and stop spending? Any business based on consumer spending is toast, banks or financial institutions holding debt will be forced to right it off eventually, many investments products will hugely underperform. Then business owners notice how bad things are and try to cut cost leading to further job losses and we're into a deflationary death spiral! 

The problem is everyone believed the good times could never end (despite the fact that they have many times before) and everything could be paid for with cheap credit, so everyone borrowed as much as they could inflating asset prices, others looked around saw how much their peers had got into debt and did the same, now everyone's holding huge debt's and the music's about to stop.   

This time it’s not just the banks that will take a loss, it’s millions of businesses, it’s going to be far worse