House Price Crash Forum

Planning reforms aim to making building easier, but who wins?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-54740588

Got some NIMBYs on here too who aren't NIMBYs because even though it's behind their house it affects people the other side of the field too. An old boomer couple fighting against 3,000 new homes. I feel for them (their naivety really in thinking a field in the middle of a village wouldn't be built on) but that's 3,000 families. 

Anyway, enjoy. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-54740588

Got some NIMBYs on here too who aren't NIMBYs because even though it's behind their house it affects people the other side of the field too. An old boomer couple fighting against 3,000 new homes. I feel for them (their naivety really in thinking a field in the middle of a village wouldn't be built on) but that's 3,000 families. 

Anyway, enjoy. 

Dont worry, they will never win, they just slow things down a bit. They just need to accept the fact they are losing a view of fields and put up screening, a fence or a row of trees. But they want high screening they had better get on with it before the estate is built oher wise they may be sued for loss of light.

Dont worry, they will never win, they just slow things down a bit. They just need to accept the fact they are losing a view of fields and put up screening, a fence or a row of trees. But they want high screening they had better get on with it before the estate is built other wise they may be sued for loss of light.

Just frustrates me. They slow things down and add costs and then the other side of the argument moans about builders making profits and that they should have their building plots taken from them despite the fact they need a pipeline of land to effectively run that business and it takes a long time to jump through the hoops on objections. 

I audited a large builder several years ago and just for funzies worked out they spent more on external legal counsel to fight objections and appeal against refusals than they did on bricks!

Obviously we can get into the whole supernormal profits debate which is another point but.... anyway I'm rambling. 

I audited a large builder several years ago and just for funzies worked out they spent more on external legal counsel to fight objections and appeal against refusals than they did on bricks!

Obviously we can get into the whole supernormal profits debate which is another point but.... anyway I'm rambling. 

Not rambling, you have found out "nimbys" help cause HPI, by making newbuilds cost more to build!!

Those boomers could just do equity release and buy the land nearest the house if they want it kept clear.

Then their 7 year old grandson could continue to not play in the field.

If it has outline planning permission it will no longer be valued at "agricultural rates" , but brownfield building rates. They could never afford it. what they could do now is record a perspective size 4k video , 365 days long, then when the houses are built erect a "fence" of 8ft Video screens and had a 4k digit media player "replay" their old view and sounds in real time. 

Bit ********, and expensive, but technologically possible.

Popular places where people want to live will always change faster than those places less desirable....pros and cons. Nobody asked that their home/area to become more in demand.....run to the hills......those that want to make a quick profit often don't live there.... councils don't mind, the more buildings, the more upgraded buildings, the more people living in area the more Council Tax....needs must.;)

If it has outline planning permission it will no longer be valued at "agricultural rates" , but brownfield building rates. They could never afford it. what they could do now is record a perspective size 4k video , 365 days long, then when the houses are built erect a "fence" of 8ft Video screens and had a 4k digit media player "replay" their old view and sounds in real time. 

Bit ********, and expensive, but technologically possible.

Haha, I actually love this idea. 

I guess the lawyers win. But that always seems to be the case. 

My parents do this. They go to all the local NIMBY protests. They actually also remember the time when the fields once stood where their house is now. I think there's a lot to be said for the elderly still having little part time jobs. The devil makes work for idle hands.

My parents do this. They go to all the local NIMBY protests. They actually also remember the time when the fields once stood where their house is now. I think there's a lot to be said for the elderly still having little part time jobs. The devil makes work for idle hands.

They're in good company. I used to work in a small company where an old boomer was moaning about them building some houses near him on 'fertile farmland'. 

To the amusement of everyone in the office I asked him what his house was built on.

Nimbys near me have spent 30k to stop someone building a house.

Evil to the core once they are dead it's over.

The only NIMBY example I've ever agreed with is when two very wealthy people bought the in-between plot to prevent it being built on. It had planning so they paid the top rate for that. 

It was a former colleague's grandmother doing this. Said former colleague had to get something through the help to buy on account of being priced out..... still he took great satisfaction in explaining how his grandmother had denied the creation of one extra dwelling but in this example at least she did own the view. Fair enough. 

People buying a house in the country and then being upset against the loss of the view etc I get, I sympathise but that's where I draw the line. Yes it's a shame you've not got your quiet little hideaway but on the plus side 3,000 families now have a new home. 

Doesn't take genius to work out: developers give money to the tory party. Therefore it's designed to benefit developers. 

Good news is: the developers may go bust if they have to build in a long recession. 

Doesn't take genius to work out: developers give money to the tory party. Therefore it's designed to benefit developers. 

Good news is: the developers may go bust if they have to build in a long recession. 

Building houses will benefit developers since that's the way they make money (and provide jobs and employment for literally millions throughout the country either directly or indirectly.

I don't mind anything that supports the building of more houses. I do have an issue though with the help to buy and all that nonsense. This seems far less damaging and how else to overcome the NIMBYs?

I don't have an issue with Nimbyism so long as people get home that need them. A Nimby that is anti immigration and has less than their replacement rate of offspring and only owns 1 home for example could perfectly well object to new homes being built. I certainly could fall into that category.

I don't have an issue with Nimbyism so long as people get home that need them. A Nimby that is anti immigration and has less than their replacement rate of offspring and only owns 1 home for example could perfectly well object to new homes being built. I certainly could fall into that category.

You're a BANANA?

Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone?

The only NIMBY example I've ever agreed with is when two very wealthy people bought the in-between plot to prevent it being built on. It had planning so they paid the top rate for that. 

It was a former colleague's grandmother doing this. Said former colleague had to get something through the help to buy on account of being priced out..... still he took great satisfaction in explaining how his grandmother had denied the creation of one extra dwelling but in this example at least she did own the view. Fair enough. 

People buying a house in the country and then being upset against the loss of the view etc I get, I sympathise but that's where I draw the line. Yes it's a shame you've not got your quiet little hideaway but on the plus side 3,000 families now have a new home. 

These old people are house mad. Strange as they never spend a bean on the upkeep of them internally always money is spent on the garden  nothing else.

I guess that's why the view is so important to them and they hate change. They are are happy for lockdown change though to save them.

I got a pre filled in form by protesting zombies to submit to the council how ni e of them to think of me, so I thought of them too and sent my own in saying what a great idea the development is.