House Price Crash Forum
Alba

What Is Happening In Chester?

Many thanks for your response.

What is Chester like to live in these days? I always liked the city, but it is a number of years since I was last there.

Chester is turning into a bit of a dump in my opinion, it has nice parts but i wouldn't live there. We're on the wirral.

we aim to buy eventually in chester.

the problem is that there are only a small number of decent areas to consider.

much of the city/ housing is very poor.

dont understand how it ended up like this.

our preferences are:

christleton

curzon park

farndon.

the city itself has a good buzzz nad we like the proximity to snowdonia lakes etc

Chistleton is very nice, went to school there and still live with the parents nearby.

The city centre does seem to be heading downhill though, just this weekend there was a lot of trouble in some of the bars (football related apparently). Other people have commented to me about how the reputation of the City doesn't match the reality anymore. After the shops close the city centre can be quite a scary place!

It is such a pity that things have changed. I have nice memories of Chester.

However, this phenomenon of problem city centres now seems endemic in the UK.

Is there a city centre anywhere in the UK that remains nice and inviting?

We've been looking at Tarporley for a few years now. Prices have been pretty much static from July 2004 until present but I've noticed reductions in the last couple of months - leaving a mixed picture of what you can get for your money.

To track changes to asking prices in Tarporley - use this link, and like wise for Chester use this link.

I like Chester (the Mrs likes it even more because of the shopping!), it can have a good atmosphere when the races are on, but like very other large town or city it can have an element of anti-social behaviour at night time.