House Price Crash Forum

House occupancy statistics...

I have realised that it would be extremely interesting to know what proportion of houses (inc. flats etc.) are occupied, and what proportion are unoccupied.

Ideally, I would like to find statistics at the granularity of local authorities... and to be able to see how occupancy of the houses/flats in the UK have changed over time... perhaps the past decade?

Has anyone got any ideas how I might come by statistics that might help me form an opinion about this?

Are such statistics readily available from anywhere?

uk census gets that household data, also the full electoral register -except of course those under the radar.

Seems to be changing a bit now towards lower average occupancy, one aspect of bedroom tax is that a lot of council 2 beds here were converted to 3 beds but identical houses otherwise hence placing an artificial demand on 2 beds.   Seems the average 3 bed semi is least in demand, over larger and smaller.    This may a a local midlands thing, just what I've noticed.

uk census gets that household data, also the full electoral register -except of course those under the radar.

A census (if done once every 10 years) does not really help me... I'd like monthly stats - but I'd settle for annual...

Electoral Register - nice idea - but it isn't practical to collect stats from the written records I'm entitled to view at the council offices.  I assume there is no nice way to access the info online - preferably in a suitably summarized form?

My guess is 'real time' info would be council tax data, although a pretty blunt instrument as it only gets those on the radar.  FOI requests from councils, in my experience, are a bit hit and miss -also potentially a lot of work collating the info which can be used as a valid objection . Data protection act is often misused for secrecy too.

I bet facebook and ISPs would have a much clearer picture of this 'under the radar' data - if you could afford it.  Maybe see if ONS have an unpublished data?  good luck.

Define occupancy.

You have:

- OO occupied.

- Rented - private or public

- Empty - derelict.

- Empty - for sale

- Empty - for rent

- Empty - just empty.

- Holiday let

- Second home

In the South West, empty properties is a hot topic, so most councils/unitary authorities publish data on empty homes and holiday homes.

In Cornwall, overall about 10% of houses are empty, as defined by the council through council tax data.  Holiday homes are concentrated in geographically limited areas, but can be 30% of the houses, again through council tax data.

Would be interesting also to compare the offical stats with the name and adress big data held by amazon, ebay, uber, parcel couriers, ISP's etc.   

I wonder if any of this big data is used for council tax/electoral register 'track and trace' yet, and if so, what level of under reporting occupancy is seen.