House Price Crash Forum

Masks or no Masks ?

Masks or no masks  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wearing masks ?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/23/2020 at 08:23 AM

The timing of the legal introduction of masks in this country was a certainly odd but even more troublesome is how and when to reverse it. What's the criteria? 

If the gov said they are voluntary from tommorow what percentage of the general population (ie not HPCers) would still wear them?

When do we reverse the mask wearing restrictions? At Zero Covid, obviously.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being 'scientifically trained' doesn't give someone automatic right to decide on how others living their lives. I have worked with very scientifically clever people who have no idea about the world beyond their specialiasm who are also vunerable to gross error...ie can't see the wood from the trees. Not all are like that though.

You don't see why people don't just do what they are told....have a look a history rather science to answer that one!

You're the guy who claims to know what the Laws of Nature are, right?

When do we reverse the mask wearing restrictions? At Zero Covid, obviously.

It's likely there won't be zero covid. We don't have zero flu, rhinovirus,norovirus and believe it not there isn't zero beubonic plague either.  So that criteria won't be met and we don't use masks to attempt to stop the others anyway. So back to question...what's the criteria?

You're the guy who claims to know what the Laws of Nature are, right?

I understand that nature will do certain things and if we understand that it makes handling or mitigation easier and maybe more effective.

In any case aren't you the guy who when I pointed out certain issues get politicised accused me of being an right wing banker or something...thus proving my point? 

I have to again say that the mask no mask debate shows how some things need to be either mandatory or be not required.  Many people don’t have any scientific training and don’t understand why masks are needed.  I don’t see why people can’t just do as they are asked and in lieu of people following the rules something different is needed. 

What is "mandatory" though? Watching the TV news, people, from government ministers to news anchors refer to measures as "mandatory" and "advice" in the same sentence.

It's likely there won't be zero covid. We don't have zero flu, rhinovirus,norovirus and believe it not there isn't zero beubonic plague either.  So that criteria won't be met and we don't use masks to attempt to stop the others anyway. So back to question...what's the criteria?

China, Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Niger, Rwanda etc. etc.

All Zero Covid.

A quarter of the world has eliminated it, and quite possibly the flu too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8875201/Has-Covid-killed-flu.html

I understand that nature will do certain things and if we understand that it makes handling or mitigation easier and maybe more effective.

In any case aren't you the guy who when I pointed out certain issues get politicised accused me of being an right wing banker or something...thus proving my point? 

You understand nothing.

Advice doesn't get you a smack in the mouth for ignoring it.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. They refer to the same rule as being "mandatory" and "advice" in the same sentence.

Advice....  guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent future action.

Mandatory..... required by law or mandate; compulsory.

I understand how to be a right wing banker...some person on the internet told me😏

I also seems I understand how to press certain HPCers trigger buttons too as they derail a thread😏

If you're not an expert you know nothing and should be on the receiving end of some abuse combined with an appeal to authority in order to make you shut up and obey.

China, Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Niger, Rwanda etc. etc.

All Zero Covid.

A quarter of the world has eliminated it, and quite possibly the flu too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8875201/Has-Covid-killed-flu.html

Give it a rest - the horse has bolted in the UK for elimination to be a effective strategy. 

If you're not an expert you know nothing and should be on the receiving end of some abuse combined with an appeal to authority in order to make you shut up and obey.

Yes master 😉

It's not really about knowing stuff it more about being able to learn, analyse and question things which might go against the grain and the upset and dispruption that causes people.

It's like if I query why masks haven't been effective in real life as hoped why is that? Why is it other virus come and go and those who do go it's not entirely gone?  Before 2020 these would still be valid queries but the socio political consequences near zero.

Yes master 😉

It's not really about knowing stuff it more about being able to learn, analyse and question things which might go against the grain and the upset and dispruption that causes people.

It's like if I query why masks haven't been effective in real life as hoped why is that? Why is it other virus come and go and those who do go it's not entirely gone?  Before 2020 these would still be valid queries but the socio political consequences near zero.

********. You rock up here making extraordinary claims about science and when asked to support them with argument or citation you're incapable of doing so. You're not a sceptic, your mind is set in stone: Like the rest of the QAnonist twits on here you believe for ideological reasons (the so-called efficiency of the free market) that the peer-reviewed science of Zero Covid must be false - despite the overwhelming evidence of its success - and will clutch at any straw in an effort to turn public opinion against it.

People are not scared, they are wearing masks anD looking at u thinking dumb ****** 

Classic internet reply 🙄  and a great example of the level of ‘debate’ in modern life.

You have simply assumed that I don’t wear a mask even though I haven’t mentioned that in the post.   

I don’t like mask wearing because it removes our main method of communication as humans.  Just because I don’t like them it doesn’t mean I don’t wear one when required by law and official advice.

I will ditch them as soon as the law and advice allows and celebrate seeing strangers faces again.  However, my original post’s point was that I believe that many people will be too scared to do so.

Classic internet reply 🙄  and a great example of the level of ‘debate’ in modern life.

You have simply assumed that I don’t wear a mask even though I haven’t mentioned that in the post.   

I don’t like mask wearing because it removes our main method of communication as humans.  Just because I don’t like them it doesn’t mean I don’t wear one when required by law and official advice.

I will ditch them as soon as the law and advice allows and celebrate seeing strangers faces again.  However, my original post’s point was that I believe that many people will be too scared to do so.

The post was a direct response to the previous one saying people were scared witless  and would continue to wear masks.  Your response here is wide of the point. 

A lot of modern debate ends up being directed to a dying left vs right debabte by proxy.  

Another reason to wear masks is protects other people from freaking out (back in July they were less freaked) but more so I feel for the small shop and venue owners who are terrified of being caught with someone with a mask 1mm under the nose or something on their premises.

A great article from Pharmaceutical Industry veteran on the science (or lack of it) behind mask wearing. 

https://www.aier.org/article/the-year-of-disguises/

The Year of Disguises

"I chose not to wear face coverings for two reasons, the first is all of the above, and the second is that I have experienced this virus. When I see people with them, I think of virus heaven. But, I am also not afraid because this virus does not frighten me."

A great article from Pharmaceutical Industry veteran on the science (or lack of it) behind mask wearing. 

https://www.aier.org/article/the-year-of-disguises/

The Year of Disguises

"I chose not to wear face coverings for two reasons, the first is all of the above, and the second is that I have experienced this virus. When I see people with them, I think of virus heaven. But, I am also not afraid because this virus does not frighten me."

Interesting read.

I understand the argument for circumstances where masks may be ineffective or even detrimental to people, but I don’t accept that putting a mask on very briefly to buy some groceries or pay for fuel puts me at a heightened risk. 

The trouble is we will never know if face masks have a net benefit or not. I think the direct/indirect benefits are marginal but at least something.

Im tired of the notion that mask wearers think the thing is literally saving their lives... I think most people appreciate they are one of many measures required to improve our overall safety. 

The burning question is how will this play out? Will there be a covid 20 before we have a vaccine for 19!

Give it a rest - the horse has bolted in the UK for elimination to be a effective strategy. 

No. Elimination in the UK would be easy.

Just stop testing.

People have pretty much stopped dying of it because the most vulnerable are either dead or staying home, so if you just ignored it and got rid of the lockdown nonsense, no-one would really notice any more. Certainly it would be impossible to spot by looking at the death rates.

One study shouldn't ever settle anything, and I'd be very reluctant to jump to the conclusion that conspiracy is the reason for a particular study not being published; that claim would need good evidence in its own right.

The CDC said recently that the vast majority of people who tested positive in the US usually or always wore masks.

The numbers typically show that the infection rate increases after an area imposes a mask mandate.

A study in Nature a few weeks ago said that properly-fitted, regularly-changed surgical masks and unvented N95 masks were fairly effective at preventing the spread of a virus in droplets, but that cloth masks probably made the spread worse unless they were regularly washed, because the droplets dried out and then the virus was blown into the air on small dust particles from the mask.

Lastly, I read a claim the other day that most of the new cases in Italy were due to spread in households, so unless you're planning to wear a mask all day at home, it's probably pointless.

I don't know whether it's conspiracy or incompetence, but it doesn't appear likely to have much impact on disease. At best it's Virology Theatre.