House Price Crash Forum

Masks or no Masks ?

Masks or no masks  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wearing masks ?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/23/2020 at 08:23 AM

Bit of a straw poll to see where people sit on masks.

I think it's b******s, here is my evidence

Could the # masks be harboring germs and make infection rates worse ?

They say you can catch all sorts from old hankies, they are like petri dishes.

More testing on the right side of your graph, and many people ignoring requirements. Your point is what, exactly? 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More testing on the right side of your graph, and many people ignoring requirements. Your point is what, exactly? 

The general point is we still got a small pick up in deaths so masks didn't stop that. 

If you look on worldometer for different countries and states who mandated them much earlier than here (ie during the main pandemic) the death rates didn't deviate even allowing for the lags.

The general point is we still got a small pick up in deaths so masks didn't stop that. 

If you look on worldometer for different countries and states who mandated them much earlier than here (ie during the main pandemic) the death rates didn't deviate even allowing for the lags.

Mandated masks in public view is not mandated.....who knows what goes on behind walls both in the workplace and in private homes....most infections happen outside public mandated mask wearing places.;)

People are talking as if covid was not existing:

image.thumb.png.ed5a066165b002c9e51fa9ad8d5508d3.png

almost 8k in hospital 3 days ago. And people are arguing about the inconvenience? the fear factor? For something that are literally killing people in this country. And in the face of that, the cost benefit analysis some people do won't justify the simple act of wearing a face mask the rare time you are around people you don't know. 

Seriously, people in this country who wanted to experience the Blitz spirit with Brexit are sometimes just selfish pricks

This is an interesting twitter thread from a medical scientist on aerosols, virus and masks. 

Nebulisers are used to deliver drugs to the lungs in aerosols. They do this by passing larger droplets through a membrane. They even used to deliver phages, which are viruses that attack bacteria to the lungs of people with bacterial pneumonia. 

A criticism of most mask studies is they've not consider aerosols, they have not used live viruses and they do not look at long term mask wearing. 

Living somewhere in Europe in a country that loves protesting, I've never been to a shop in the past few months and seen somebody without a mask. Whether they're effective or not, I couldn't really say, but if they reduce the viral load making the difference between being mild or quite bad vs really bad or dead, it's not a big inconvenience to put one on. If it's not for your own benefit, then at least do it for others, even if it's just to give them a bit more peace of mind. Obviously it's important to clean your mask regularly (unless it's a disposable), and to wash your hands.
I was a bit blasé to the whole thing until last month, when a good friend in the UK got hospitalised with the virus - not particularly old and was in good health prior. They had quite the battle on their hands, even when released from hospital a week later. It's clearly something you don't want to get, unless you like playing russian roulette.

This is an interesting twitter thread from a medical scientist on aerosols, virus and masks. 

Nebulisers are used to deliver drugs to the lungs in aerosols. They do this by passing larger droplets through a membrane. They even used to deliver phages, which are viruses that attack bacteria to the lungs of people with bacterial pneumonia. 

A criticism of most mask studies is they've not consider aerosols, they have not used live viruses and they do not look at long term mask wearing. 

so what virus is being used to treat pneumonia?  What a fab breakthrough, please share details? 

So what virus is being used to treat Pneumonia, what a fab breakthrough, please share details? 

But I don’t think anybody is arguing that masks provide robust protection against the virus. The general consensus seems to be that there is a very marginal benefit from wearing them. 

If 0.4% fewer people catch the virus thanks to masks and that results in 0.02% fewer deaths, then isn’t it worth the small inconvenience?

I think masks versus no masks is the least of our worries anyway. We have people in lower paid jobs that are working in unsafe conditions because they fear they may be struck off if they complain. People in warehouses and on sites being forced to share facilities intimately. The flip side is also having people breaching the rules by meeting in large social gatherings.

Right now we are faced with varying degrees of risk that have to be blended to protect people’s livelihoods and manage people’s well-being. Gyms, barbers, small business, attractions etc have to operate in some capacity but non-compliance puts them at heightened risk.

I’m glad the football is back on but jeez beyond the 22 players on the actual field, why are all the support staff sitting chilling like it’s 2019?! As soon as the whilst goes it’s all hugs and handshakes like they are in invincible!

If 0.4% fewer people catch the virus thanks to masks and that results in 0.02% fewer deaths, then isn’t it worth the small inconvenience?

And if we all didn’t drive cars then we wouldn’t have any road traffic fatalities....

I’m starting to wonder if a significant proportion of the population will be wearing masks for the rest of their lives - they’ve been scared witless with this nonsense 

And if we all didn’t drive cars then we wouldn’t have any road traffic fatalities....

I’m starting to wonder if a significant proportion of the population will be wearing masks for the rest of their lives - they’ve been scared witless with this nonsense 

People are not scared, they are wearing masks anD looking at u thinking dumb ****** 

In the UK there are tens of millions of car journeys each day that result in half a dozen fatalities. 

I’m not sure you draw any comparison between wearing masks and ditching cars to save lives. One of those measures results in a monumental change to our way of life; our ability to earn a living, see family and friends, travel to nice places for recreation etc. The other involves putting a bit of fabric over your face....

The timing of the legal introduction of masks in this country was a certainly odd but even more troublesome is how and when to reverse it. What's the criteria? 

If the gov said they are voluntary from tommorow what percentage of the general population (ie not HPCers) would still wear them?

Edited by nightowl

The timing of the legal introduction of masks in this country was a certainly odd but even more troublesome is how and when to reverse it. What's the criteria? 

If the gov said they are voluntary from tommorow what percentage of the population would still wear them?

Face coverings were advised early on in Scotland, but I agree it’s troubling how we lift their now legal requirement. We could be wearing them in shops for many years to come...

I actually work in highways and I’d estimate that 10-20% of fatalities arise from either medical emergencies while at the wheel, ie. stroke/heart attack, or sadly people inexplicably going off the road or striking bridge parapets etc in the very early hours. It’s pretty horrible to say the least. 

I still think that if everyone had worn a mask, all the time, the spread of CV would have been reduced and lives would have been saved.

The purpose of wearing masks is to perpetuate an atmosphere of terror.

You can score the success of the policy by the number of people who give up hope and commit suicide over the coming years.

Edited by A.steve

The purpose of wearing masks is to perpetuate an atmosphere of terror.

You can score the success of the policy by the number of people who give up hope and commit suicide over the coming years.

I think you need to delete the daily mail app from your phone. No government is perpetuating fear of covid, but rather they are currently trying to encourage people to get back to some form of normality because they fear for the economy.

No government is perpetuating fear of covid, but rather they are currently trying to encourage people to get back to some form of normality because they fear for the economy.

They did perpetuate fear back in April certainly and were possibly surprised how effective it was. Come the summer tried to reboot the economy but needed tricks like help out and masks to undo the fear.

What state of mind they are in now is anyone's guess.... Probably mentally worn out and being bullied by Sage.

I have to again say that the mask no mask debate shows how some things need to be either mandatory or be not required.  Many people don’t have any scientific training and don’t understand why masks are needed.  I don’t see why people can’t just do as they are asked and in lieu of people following the rules something different is needed. 

I try to avoid the mainstream media because its horrendously biased against the Scottish government. Nicola Sturgeon is vilified on a daily basis, and while I’m certainly no fan of hers she’s at least stood in front of the media every single day since this pandemic started and allowed her governments decisions to be scrutinised. Support for the government and levels of compliance are very high in Scotland but you’re lead to believe it’s the polar opposite. 

The thing that I can’t stand is the constant moaning about “you can do this but you can’t do that”. People constantly picking holes in restrictions. We’re in incredibly challenging times and there are always going to be nuances for people to critise. Sure I can’t meet my family indoors, but I can go for a meal with them. Ok, it’s a bit bizarre but at least it involves supporting local businesses and means the interaction/exposure is an hour or so, not 5 or 6 hours in a house. 

The one thing I feel was wholly wrong was reopening pubs fully, or at least allowing them to be open till 10pm. That was utter madness. 

I have to again say that the mask no mask debate shows how some things need to be either mandatory or be not required.  Many people don’t have any scientific training and don’t understand why masks are needed.  I don’t see why people can’t just do as they are asked and in lieu of people following the rules something different is needed. 

Being 'scientifically trained' doesn't give someone automatic right to decide on how others living their lives. I have worked with very scientifically clever people who have no idea about the world beyond their specialiasm who are also vunerable to gross error...ie can't see the wood from the trees. Not all are like that though.

You don't see why people don't just do what they are told....have a look a history rather science to answer that one!

Being 'scientifically trained' doesn't give someone automatic right to decide on how others living their lives. I have worked with very scientifically clever people who have no idea about the world beyond their specialiasm who are also vunerable to gross error...ie can't see the wood from the trees. Not all are like that though.

You don't see why people don't just do what they are told....have a look a history rather science to answer that one!

This is the problem right here, people have a issue with being directed by scientists or scientific analysis of what should work.  You would listen to a plumber or spark if they gave you advice for your own good.  People can and do follow advice but in our system it’s very difficult to enforce anything if you want to be re-elected.