House Price Crash Forum

Masks or no Masks ?

Masks or no masks  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wearing masks ?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/23/2020 at 08:23 AM

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your evidence to support your supposition is? 

I put those those that vehemently object to wearing masks in the same league as flat-earthers. Some people these days are so desperate to rebel against ‘authority’ that basic common sense escapes them, and they are embroiled with a sense of selfish entitlement.

Supposing with the passing of time we learn masks only reduced the R value by a fraction of a percent. 0.795 to 0.790. Supposing even we learn they made no difference. Why does that matter to some people? Just wear the mask to at least give those with poor health a little peace of mind when they venture out for some shopping. These morons are akin to the brainless ‘sad face’ daily mail mob that point at their expelled children’s black trainers, shocked that they didn’t comply with the dress code.

My 4 year old wears a mask and if you ask why, even she’s smart enough to articulate that it’s to prevent coughs and sneezes from reaching others.

Some people pick the most pointless of battles in life. Just wear a mask. It’s not all about you. 

Edited by Pmax2020

I put those those that vehemently object to wearing masks in the same league as flat-earthers. Some people these days are so desperate to rebel against ‘authority’ that basic common sense escapes them, and they are embroiled with a sense of selfish entitlement.

Supposing with the passing of time we learn masks only reduced the R value by a fraction of a percent. 0.795 to 0.790. Supposing even we learn they made no difference. Why does that matter to some people? Just wear the mask to at least give those with poor health a little peace of mind when they venture out for some shopping. These morons are akin to the brainless ‘sad face’ daily mail mob that point at their expelled children’s black trainers, shocked that they didn’t comply with the dress code.

My 4 year old wears a mask and if you ask why, even she’s smart enough to articulate that it’s to protect our coughs abs sneezes from reaching others.

Some people pick the most pointless of battles in life. Just wear a mask. It’s not all about you. 

Amen.

Bit of a straw poll to see where people sit on masks.

I think it's b******s, here is my evidence

Could the # masks be harboring germs and make infection rates worse ?

They say you can catch all sorts from old hankies, they are like petri dishes.

According to Dr. Fauci bacterial pneumonia played a major part in the mortality of the 1918

“We agree completely that bacterial pneumonia played a major role in the mortality of the 1918 pandemic,” says Anthony Fauci, director of National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease in Bethesda, Maryland"

My 4 year old wears a mask and if you ask why, even she’s smart enough to articulate that it’s to prevent coughs and sneezes from reaching others.

You've got it the wrong way round the flat earthers are the mask fanatics who have a superstitious belief that mask provide a benefit. 

Some people are so desperate to believe anything will help with whatever's got them scared that they'll go along with anything. Burning witches when the crops failed stemmed from the same mentality.

And then they'll attack those who question it. "Why not?" in such circumstances is usually the last resort from people unable to answer "why?"

Some people are so desperate to believe anything will help with whatever's got them scared that they'll go along with anything. Burning witches when the crops failed stemmed from the same mentality.

And then they'll attack those who question it. "Why not?" in such circumstances is usually the last resort from people unable to answer "why?"

Except burning witches at the stake is a HUGE departure from asking people to wear an item of PPE that’s worn by healthcare professionals.... particularly amidst a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!

If you genuinely believe that a busy supermarket full of maskless people are at no great risk of contracting a flu like virus than a retail outlet with people sporting face coverings then you’re frankly stupid.

It stands to reason that a face covering impedes germs being expelled from the nose and mouth, whilst also acting as a barrier to the wearer inadvertently touching their nose or mouth.

I think the benefit is probably very small, but it’s such a minor inconvenience that I think it’s pretty selfish and disrespectfully to wilfully refuse to wear one. Sure flu can carry a high fatality rate, but covid has a higher mortality rate so even if you’re a non-believer, why not show a little respect, at least for elderly people out doing a weekly shop.

Except burning witches at the stake is a HUGE departure from asking people to wear an item of PPE that’s worn by healthcare professionals.... particularly amidst a GLOBAL PANDEMIC!

If you genuinely believe that a busy supermarket full of maskless people are at no great risk of contracting a flu like virus than a retail outlet with people sporting face coverings then you’re frankly stupid.

It stands to reason that a face covering impedes germs being expelled from the nose and mouth, whilst also acting as a barrier to the wearer inadvertently touching their nose or mouth.

I think the benefit is probably very small, but it’s such a minor inconvenience that I think it’s pretty selfish and disrespectfully to wilfully refuse to wear one. Sure flu can carry a high fatality rate, but covid has a higher mortality rate so even if you’re a non-believer, why not show a little respect, at least for elderly people out doing a weekly shop.

Facts over feelings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EksGvthWMAEth9M?format=jpg&name=900x900

Unless you're sucking off Barack Obama while snorting coke.

Edited by Arpeggio

Imagine getting told you have to wear an I love Boris t-shirt everytime you leave the house as it protects against covid would you be just as keen to wear it? There is an equal amount of evidence for both.

How masks prevent aerosol transmission please explain. Unless you are wearing a N95 mask you might as well have a pocket full of posies. 

YWALnO.gif

That is far from obvious.

What is obvious:

If there had been a gargantuan genocide, terminating the vast majority of human life on earth, transmission would have been necessarily halted by that intervention.  Selfish people were not prepared to implement this certain solution, and - as a consequence - the COVID problem remains.

It could have been easily implemented... the government could have used the phrase "self sacrifice" in place of "self isolate".  Incomprehensibly justified instructions could have been delivered by a mobile phone app to the digital subservients... and the message reinforced with blanket mainstream media coverage. "Laws" requiring compliance could have been passed by decree - bypassing the problematic hurdles of an imperfect democracy.

As this decisive step was not taken, we will need to be satisfied that the people 'COVID' killed were the patients that could otherwise have received life-saving treatment... The media reinforced a ubiquitous hysteria... and the public only emerged from their political curfew to applaud the NHS on Thursday evenings... to express approval of the preventable deaths that had been achieved by denying patients access to hospital treatment during the preceding week.

Enjoy imposing social isolation. Don't meet friends or family. Wear a mask to remind everyone who sees you that they are hopelessly socially isolated too - all the while making prominent that you are prepared to remain silent and not question the absurdity of what you're told.  Relax, staring into oblivion, and wait until the suicide rate rises... it will.

Dostoevsky, eat your heart out: your fictional dystopias have nothing on our reality.

Brilliant post, especially the point that patients who would otherwise have survived, did not obtain treatment, either because it was denied, or because they were too scared to go to hospital.

I agree and would add the dumb, witless and feckless are a drain on society and are overdue to be thinned out, hopefully their lack of a mask will help with this 

I agree and would add the dumb, witless and feckless are a drain on society and are overdue to be thinned out, hopefully their lack of a mask will help with this 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Page 4. Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset.....

Never 6

Rarely 6

Sometimes 11

Often 22

Always 108

Edited by Arpeggio

I have just moved to Stockholm from the UK.

I am in absolute shock and disbelief.

WHY ARE THEY NOT SHOWING US THIS?

What's your point here - that they're not wearing masks?

You don't have to wear a mask in the street in the UK either.  I don't, and neither does almost everyone I walk past.  Here in the town I live in in the UK it looks pretty much like that footage you just showed.

I only put on a mask to go into shops - as the law requires it.

This thread is becoming more and more polarised, just like the whole Brexit debate did.

"Remain or Leave" started out as a discussion about the country's preferred level of integration with the EU, and ended up as two warring factions hurling insults about racism etc.  Slowly the middle ground cleared out, until got to the point where I felt I was the only person left in Britain who would say "well I voted Remain in the end but I think there are costs and benefits both ways". 

"Masks or no masks" started out as discussion about whether wearing a mask was worth the hassle for reducing COVID transmission a bit.  Now it seems you're either a "Masker" who thinks that "Non-Maskers" are trying to kill you and/or your grandma, or a Non-Masker who thinks the government are trying to use masks to instil fear and subservience into the population.

It baffles me that the middle ground that (A) masks cost money and are annoying, but (B) they do reduce virus transmissions a little bit so may have a place sometimes, is a middle ground space that 99% of posters have vacated.

This thread is becoming more and more polarised, just like the whole Brexit debate did.

"Remain or Leave" started out as a discussion about the country's preferred level of integration with the EU, and ended up as two warring factions hurling insults about racism etc.  Slowly the middle ground cleared out, until got to the point where I felt I was the only person left in Britain who would say "well I voted Remain in the end but I think there are costs and benefits both ways". 

"Masks or no masks" started out as discussion about whether wearing a mask was worth the hassle for reducing COVID transmission a bit.  Now it seems you're either a "Masker" who thinks that "Non-Maskers" are trying to kill you and/or your grandma, or a Non-Masker who thinks the government are trying to use masks to instil fear and subservience into the population.

It baffles me that the middle ground that (A) masks cost money and are annoying, but (B) they do reduce virus transmissions a little bit so may have a place sometimes, is a middle ground space that 99% of posters have vacated.

Yea, it’s more of a dumb ****** against not dumb ****** thing 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Page 4. Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset.....

Never 6

Rarely 6

Sometimes 11

Often 22

Always 108

Did you even bother to read the first line in the report?

You are literally stupid aren't you? I'd be surprised if it's not mentioned on your birth certificate. 

The human race has recently developed technology to prevent disease and starvation eliminating the stupid. Then along comes nature, with its ability to outwit that technology, to cull them off.

I agree with you but I could hardly be arsed typing a reply saying so. That's why there's a problem.

How masks prevent aerosol transmission please explain. Unless you are wearing a N95 mask you might as well have a pocket full of posies. 

YWALnO.gif

There’s a huge problem with your neat demonstration of someone vaping whilst wearing a mask. A flaw that even my 4 year old would recognise. 

How, in any way, can you liken exhaling fine vapour through a face covering that is designed to be breathable, to someone inadvertently expelling larger droplets of saliva whilst coughing or sneezing?! Larger droplets are propelled further.

The majority people aren’t wearing masks because they fear for their lives or think it gives them 100% protection. Its because they are intelligent enough to accept that even supposing the net benefit it very marginal, it’s a simple, measured precaution we can all take.