House Price Crash Forum

Masks or no Masks ?

Masks or no masks  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wearing masks ?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/20 at 08:23

HOLA441

I was in South China in January when the outbreak started. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY had to to wear a mask indoors. I took a 3hr train to Guangzhou at the peak and everybody was masked. Nobody protested, they just complied. While it may be cultural, it was very very effective. Now there is no worry, people are relaxed and the economy is back to normal.

Masks are not an invincible shield, they significantly reduce the rate of infection. They are not perfect, it's all about probability.

But perhaps more tellingly, a mask does not protect YOU. A mask protects those around you from catching something FROM you. 

The idea of doing something for others...is really alien in the Western world. Whether it's some kind of libertarianism or simply selfishness, it's downright stupid not to consider it.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Read what he said and quit being downright stupid and selfish. 

He says that masks don't protect me, they protect other people.

I'm not sick.

So since the mask will only protect other people from me and not me from other people, and I'm not sick, why is he telling me to wear one?

Because the whole thing has been nonsense from the start.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA445

He says that masks don't protect me, they protect other people.

I'm not sick.

So since the mask will only protect other people from me and not me from other people, and I'm not sick, why is he telling me to wear one?

Because the whole thing has been nonsense from the start.

Jesus wept. Are you for real? How long have you been following the pandemic and you are asking a simpleton question like that?

No wonder this country is f**ked.

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA446

Jesus wept. Are you for real? How long have you been following the pandemic and you are asking a simpleton question like that?

Which part of 'perhaps more tellingly, a mask does not protect YOU. A mask protects those around you from catching something FROM you' is proving hard for you to understand?

Edit: oh, and I've been following this scamdemic since before it hit the Western media in any significant manner, which is why I know it's complete nonsense.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA447
HOLA448

YOU MAY BE ASYMPTOMATIC!!

No wonder this country is f**ked.

And monkeys may fly out of my butt.

Every time people discover that the disease doesn't spread the way you people claim it does and that it doesn't harm people the way you claim it does, you come up with some new explanation of why we should be scared of it.

You're just like any other crazy conspiracy theorist, who always has a 'yes, but' when people point out how crazy their claims are.

There is far, far more evidence of spread through poop than there is of spread through the air from people who have no symptoms. But Muh Masks!

Edited by MarkG

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

So why are you telling healthy people to wear them?

Because unless you have a reliable test proving you are not infected, you don't actually know if you are "healthy". People who carry the virus and show no obvious symptoms can still spread it to vulnerable people (most likely older people or those who are immune compromised). 

Like I said, mask wearing is largely a communal responsibility to others. You are either responsible, or reckless. Recklessness leads to deaths. It's not political, it's a fact. That's why China has so few deaths and are nearly back to normal, while the USA is grappling with hundreds of thousands of deaths 

Meh. Do what you want. The lesson is there to be learnt. If you choose to be ignorant, that's your choice. Just don't be pretend that you are acting logically or rationally.

Edited by sPinwheel

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Every time people discover that the disease doesn't spread the way you people claim it does and that it doesn't harm people the way you claim it does, you come up with some new explanation of why we should be scared of it.

I would like to address your point.

The scientific method does not "claim" that an event always leads to conclusion. It proposes the most likely outcome for a given set of conditions based on real, rational experiences, will most likely lead to some conclusion (i.e. Covid infection)

Therefore the scientific method is self-correcting, and any assertion is always based on what we know to the best of our ability to recognise it.

So you have a choice. When you learn something new, do you ignore it and stick to dogma? Or do you adjust your world-view based on real-world experiences? 

Hint: the world will go about its way regardless if how you wish it to be. Like it or not, you cannot change it 

HOLA4414

I would like to address your point.

The scientific method does not "claim" that an event always leads to conclusion. It proposes the most likely outcome for a given set of conditions based on real, rational experiences, will most likely lead to some conclusion (i.e. Covid infection)

Therefore the scientific method is self-correcting, and any assertion is always based on what we know to the best of our ability to recognise it.

So you have a choice. When you learn something new, do you ignore it and stick to dogma? Or do you adjust your world-view based on real-world experiences? 

Hint: the world will go about its way regardless if how you wish it to be. Like it or not, you cannot change it 

Good news everyone, and even more reason not to be one of those bed-wetting half-brained covidiots refusing to wear a mask: 

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has updated its research around masks, saying that wearing one does not only protect others but also the person wearing the mask.

Previous guidance had rested on the idea that the main benefit of mask-wearing came from potentially stopping an infected person transmitting Covid to others.

But now, the CDC said "studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers' exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns".

It cited several studies including one that examined a case where two hair stylists with symptomatic Covid interacted with 139 clients over an eight-day period. Researchers managed to speak to and test 67 of the clients, none of whom developed an infection. The stylists and all clients had worn masks in the salon.

A study of an outbreak aboard a US aircraft carrier, the USS Theodore Roosevelt, found mask-wearing seemed to have reduced the risk of virus transmission by 70%, the CDC said.

It said masks with multiple cloth layers of higher thread counts were more protective than single-layer, lower thread-count masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA4415

Because unless you have a reliable test proving you are not infected, you don't actually know if you are "healthy". People who carry the virus and show no obvious symptoms can still spread it to vulnerable people (most likely older people or those who are immune compromised). 

Like I said, mask wearing is largely a communal responsibility to others. You are either responsible, or reckless. Recklessness leads to deaths. It's not political, it's a fact. That's why China has so few deaths and are nearly back to normal, while the USA is grappling with hundreds of thousands of deaths 

Meh. Do what you want. The lesson is there to be learnt. If you choose to be ignorant, that's your choice. Just don't be pretend that you are acting logically or rationally.

NHS should refuse treatment for anyone who refused to wear a mask. Refusal can work both ways. 

HOLA4416

NHS should refuse treatment for anyone who refused to wear a mask. Refusal can work both ways. 

Unfortunately mask wearers still end up getting Covid and spreading it too.  The non mask wearing countryside dweller who doesn’t use shops or public transport might be a bit put out....

HOLA4417

Good news everyone, and even more reason not to be one of those bed-wetting half-brained covidiots refusing to wear a mask: 

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has updated its research around masks, saying that wearing one does not only protect others but also the person wearing the mask.

Previous guidance had rested on the idea that the main benefit of mask-wearing came from potentially stopping an infected person transmitting Covid to others.

But now, the CDC said "studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers' exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns".

It cited several studies including one that examined a case where two hair stylists with symptomatic Covid interacted with 139 clients over an eight-day period. Researchers managed to speak to and test 67 of the clients, none of whom developed an infection. The stylists and all clients had worn masks in the salon.

A study of an outbreak aboard a US aircraft carrier, the USS Theodore Roosevelt, found mask-wearing seemed to have reduced the risk of virus transmission by 70%, the CDC said.

It said masks with multiple cloth layers of higher thread counts were more protective than single-layer, lower thread-count masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

Good to hear, its confirmation of what has been known for decades. The only reason the government pushed that line that masks don't protect you is because masks are not medical and the effectiveness is variable.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

And monkeys may fly out of my butt.

You're just like any other crazy conspiracy theorist, who always has a 'yes, but' when people point out how crazy their claims are.

There is far, far more evidence of spread through poop than there is of spread through the air from people who have no symptoms. But Muh Masks!

Don't bother, the whole mask thing has taken on the appearance of a religion, embraced by people who like religious certainty about being right and wrong. The whole complexity of might be useful in some situations, ridiculous in others is too much for them so they stick with the dogmatic "wear a mask!" atittude and hurl abuse at anyone who engages their brain, unable to tell them apart from that other group that's as mindless as themselves (the ones who go out of their way to do the opposite of anything that could plausibly reduce transmission).

Like the blindly religious who believe they're saving the world so do the mask worshippers. And like the religious they're keen on burning heretics and unbelievers (unlike the religious they do have a point in some situations).

HOLA4420

Mrs nightowl works in essential retail and noticed the weekend lockdown 2 was announced customers attitudes changed towards masks - the usage dropped as everyone scrambled for eggs and loo roll as if they were thinking "we wouldn't be doing lockdown2 if they actually worked as we were told". The number of wearers has crept back up since then apparently.

It is curious that studies in2020 say masks work but before 2020 (most notable the CDC and Hong Kong studies) did not🤔