House Price Crash Forum

Masks or no masks  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wearing masks ?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/23/2020 at 08:23 AM

Bit of a straw poll to see where people sit on masks.

I think it's b******s, here is my evidence

Could the # masks be harboring germs and make infection rates worse ?

They say you can catch all sorts from old hankies, they are like petri dishes.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Count?  I like your posts and  expected more from you - this is 'spoons level of analysis.

The left of your line was based on hospital led tests (i.e people turning up to hospital are generally more ill).  The asymptomatic folks spreading it around in aren't counted here as we didn't have mass testing rolled out.

The right of your line includes mass testing (so include the asymptomatic folks) and more serious hospital cases

A fairer (but not without criticism) would be to look at deaths

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deaths

There are specific situations where they might make a difference, most of the "should wear masks" claims are based on rather ludicrous extrapolations from that, and it looks like being another example of the boy who cried wolf effect that means people are going to be more likely to ignore measures where they really matter.

It is pretty obvious to me that if everyone had worn a mask, all the time, the spread of CV would have been reduced and lives would have been saved.

However, it was apparently not obvious to our incompetent government who initially advised against the wearing of masks by the general population. From discouragement to compulsion in six months :rolleyes:.

It is pretty obvious to me that if everyone had worn a mask, all the time, the spread of CV would have been reduced and lives would have been saved.

However, it was apparently not obvious to our incompetent government who initially advised against the wearing of masks by the general population. From discouragement to compulsion in six months :rolleyes:.

It's even more obvious that it would've made very little difference, at least unless a very significant proportion of transmissions are in the limited number of circumstances mentioned above.

Edited by Riedquat

It's even more obvious that it would've made very little difference, at least unless a very significant proportion of transmissions are in the limited number of circumstances mentioned above.

My point was that the government discouraged the wearing of masks, by the general population, because there were only just enough to satisfy the requirements of the NHS and they didn't want to shoulder any blame for not "Protecting Our NHS". 

You know some of us have been wearing masks for decades, it simply depends what line of work you are in. Don't think I've suffered any more bacterial diseases than your average non mask wearer. However if you wear the same old mask, day after day, then perhaps you are asking for trouble.

I wear one in the supermarket or other shops. Basically crowded indoor areas. As soon as I'm outdoors the mask comes off. If you think walking around a supermarket in a mask makes breathing a little difficult try wearing one for a couple of hours whilst lifting countless bags of plaster, climbing stairs too!.

Really Count?  I like your posts and  expected more from you - this is 'spoons level of analysis.

The left of your line was based on hospital led tests (i.e people turning up to hospital are generally more ill).  The asymptomatic folks spreading it around in aren't counted here as we didn't have mass testing rolled out.

The right of your line includes mass testing (so include the asymptomatic folks) and more serious hospital cases

A fairer (but not without criticism) would be to look at deaths

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deaths

Yeah, agree. I'm also looking at the graph and thinking about the dates where lockdowns were imposed and relaxed. about a 2 week delay between cases going up or down.

Lockdowns really help against COVID. Masks help but by a bit less (IMHO). If there is something in front of your face, then at leaast some of the nasty stuff that has virus in it will not be expelled so far towards other people.

I haven't got ODD so maybe my view is skewed.

I wear one in the supermarket or other shops. Basically crowded indoor areas. As soon as I'm outdoors the mask comes off. If you think walking around a supermarket in a mask makes breathing a little difficult try wearing one for a couple of hours whilst lifting countless bags of plaster, climbing stairs too!.

I did a 5K run with a mask on just to see if it caused problems.  Apart from condensation on my nose it was still piece of p*ss to do.

The two side of the graph cant be compared, in between you have the numpty eat out to help out scheme and opening up everything with no masks.  You also have at least a doubling in testing and people being allowed to go out in the middle of a Pandemic.  I would also argue the death rates are very low which may be due to reduced viral load when people are infected but were only given a small Covid dose due to wearing a mask or the person carrying it wearing a mask.  

What chance does the country have when you have people with the analytical abilities of a kindergarten starting threads like this. Wow just wow.

Yes, they do tend to rather get derailed by the likes of you, whose analytical ability extends no further than "there is a risk" and "it might help."

The thing is that preventing even one transmission breaks the chain. It's not like a situation where you're only as strong as the weakest link.

What chance does the country have when you have people with the analytical abilities of a kindergarten starting threads like this. Wow just wow.

What chance does the country have when you have people with no manners or sense of humor being allowed to post on the internet.

Wow just wow.