House Price Crash Forum

Since my old thread got archived - microplastics

Here's my prediction up front. In 10, 15 years or whatever, they're going to make the connection between microplastics and autoimmune diseases, and probably also autism. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/19/bottle-fed-babies-swallow-millions-microplastics-day-study

Bottle-fed babies swallow millions of microplastics a day, study finds

Exposure is far higher than previously thought and also affects plastic food containers

Bottle-fed babies are swallowing millions of microplastic particles a day, according to research described as a “milestone” in the understanding of human exposure to tiny plastics.

Scientists found that the recommended high-temperature process for sterilising plastic bottles and preparing formula milk caused bottles to shed millions of microplastics and trillions of even smaller nanoplastics.

The really interesting part will be if the plastics industry will know in advance and try to pull a Big Tobacco gaslighting on us. 

• 2 months later...

Starting to join the dots.

Microplastics revealed in the placentas of unborn babies

“It is like having a cyborg baby: no longer composed only of human cells, but a mixture of biological and inorganic entities,” said Antonio Ragusa, director of obstetrics and gynaecology at the San Giovanni Calibita Fatebenefratelli hospital in Rome, and who led the study. “The mothers were shocked.”

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

We're poisoning the entire world and ourselves with it. 

As plastic isn't toxic, poisonous or carcinogenic I can only puzzle as to why it has become so dangerous since 2017. Prior to then it wasn't seen on any watch list from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and still isn't.

Certainly no peep was squeeked by Boaty McBoatface, Archangel Greta or Hugh Fearnley-Whitingstall before 2017 until the Chinese stopped taking plastic waste unless it was 99.5% unmixed. I'm guessing it is just coincidental that the the dates correlate.

Those bloody Chinese are getting to be a real problem..._

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Cigarettes weren’t toxic in 1950.......

That's correct, but they were known to be carcinogenic.

Truth is, you could eat a lump of Lego every day and never get anything more than funny poos to play with..._

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/28/shanna-swan-fertility-reproduction-count-down

The professor of environmental medicine explains how chemicals in plastics are causing our fertility to decline – and what we can do about it

Shanna Swan is a professor of environmental medicine and public health at Mount Sinai school of medicine in New York City, studying fertility trends. In 2017 she documented how average sperm counts among western men have more than halved in the past 40 years. Count Down is her new book.

You’ve spent more than 20 years examining the effects of hormone disrupting chemicals on reproductive health. Are you now sounding the alarm?
I am directly speaking to this hidden problem people don’t like to talk about, which is their sub-fertility or reproductive problems, and how that is tied to the environment. People are recognising we have a reproductive health crisis, but they say it’s because of delayed childbearing, choice or lifestyle – it can’t be chemical. I want people to recognise it can. I am not saying other factors aren’t involved. But I am saying chemicals play a major causal role. It is difficult to use that word, “cause”, but it’s a body of evidence. We have mechanisms, animal studies, and multiple human studies.

On 19/03/2021 at 12:04, DiggerUK said:

That's correct, but they were known to be carcinogenic.

Truth is, you could eat a lump of Lego every day and never get anything more than funny poos to play with..._

There's thousands of different types of plastics. Some are absolutely toxic to living beings. Lego may be fine, but BPA is not.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

....... Lego may be fine, but BPA is not.

Oh please, stop scraping the dregs of plausibility off the pavement.

Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers.......

Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects.......

Additional research suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure.........

*DiggerUK warning*......fact checking can harm ignorance..._

On 28/03/2021 at 14:55, DiggerUK said:

Oh please, stop scraping the dregs of plausibility off the pavement.

Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers.......

Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects.......

Additional research suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure.........

*DiggerUK warning*......fact checking can harm ignorance..._

Lol. You work for a plastic company don't you? Wild times here on HPC Off Topic. 

I can't think of any other reason why a sane person would cape for a product that's been banned from babies bottles https://echa.europa.eu/hot-topics/bisphenol-a 

Bisphenol A (BPA) is an industrial chemical that has been commonly used since the 1960s. Most of it is used to manufacture polycarbonate plastics and resins.

Due to its hazardous properties, the use of BPA has been limited or is being limited in the EU to protect people's health and the environment.

:D 

It's a chemical. You're trying to white knight a chemical.

4 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Due to its hazardous properties, the use of BPA has been limited or is being limited in the EU to protect people's health and the environment.

:D 

It's a chemical. You're trying to white knight a chemical.

Water's a chemical.

I'm not persuaded that "limited by the EU to protect..." is a good sign of a genuine concern any more (and that's not EU bashing per se, more a feeling that "this is hazardous on paper, if you pour gallons down you it won't do any good, so that'll do to phase it out, much easier than working out whether it has any real negative impact in the real world.")

35 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Water's a chemical.

I'm not persuaded that "limited by the EU to protect..." is a good sign of a genuine concern any more (and that's not EU bashing per se, more a feeling that "this is hazardous on paper, if you pour gallons down you it won't do any good, so that'll do to phase it out, much easier than working out whether it has any real negative impact in the real world.")

I know you're not convinced. You've said it loads of times that you prefer to believe the establishment line "Don't worry, capitalism is always for the benefit of the proles" over any proofs offered by anyone else. 

You're not convinced that air pollution is bad - your premise being that 'it used to be worse'. 

But you are convinced that Big Oil and their colleagues down the road at Big Plastic and their cousins over the hill (of trash that doesn't degrade, layered up with man-made chemicals that don't degrade) at Big Auto are all simply maligned characters that the nasty scientists and EU are out to destroy! :D 

The VW emissions scandal was simply miscommunication!

See this? This is the side you're on. Me, I think 8 billion humans ransacking the planet and destroying its natural systems is a gross state of affairs and nothing to be proud of, and frankly it's not surprising at all that we're at the point of poisoning our children with it all. 

Britain's growing litter problem: how to take action - Countryfile.com

Sorry, what's a pile of litter got to do with it? Can't stand litter but it's a problem with a throwaway, massive consumption culture that loves to get excited about the environment as a political concept but doesn't actually seem to give a shit about crapping all over it in any real sense (there would be considerably greater objections to things like concrete use and development overall if that wasn't the case).

There's rather a big dose of one extreme or the other with your post don't you think? You seem to be making the rather large assumption that because I'm profoundly sceptical about the real-world impact of some issues I'm 100% on the side of big business and don't believe there are any issues with anything?

You'll need a lot more than that collection of third-rate personal accusations to make a decent point.

Edited by Riedquat

”......what's a pile of litter got to do with it....."

Litter is what this plastic waste issue is all about. It's just a litter problem, all the world needs to do is tidy up.

The screaming abdabs, who run around getting hysterical about micro plastics, never get excited about the sand ingested from a pot of Blackpool winkles.

Now I'm the first to acknowledge that sand and micro plastics are different chemical substances, but they both go in one end of a digestive system and come out the other end causing no danger to the ingester..._

Edited by DiggerUK