House Price Crash Forum

Do We Need A Seperate Northern England?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The north voted for Brexit and are now going to be shutdown until they all go bust.

Interesting idea.

Is there a demonstrable correlation between regional lockdowns and 2016 referendum regional voting outcomes?

Interesting idea.

Is there a demonstrable correlation between regional lockdowns and 2016 referendum regional voting outcomes?

The north are compalining now, but their vote welcomed in Boris, Cummings and Gove.

Thick tw4ts who all need sent to Coventry......................a sh1thole for them, worse than Preston.

The north are compalining now, but their vote welcomed in Boris, Cummings and Gove.

Thick tw4ts who all need sent to Coventry......................a sh1thole for them, worse than Preston.

I’m in the north and voted for Brexit and for Bojo – and yes Bojo is a w*nker of the highest order, so you get some of idea of what I thought of the opposition at the time.

Anyway, you’ve made my day demonstrating how demented spoiled soft  southerners  like yourself are over the situation. Tough is it? not getting your own way? Ah diddums..

Oh yes I think some ex labour failed politician is whinging about something regarding the lockdowns.  Just another as*hole I don’t pay close attention to.

I’m in the north and voted for Brexit and for Bojo – and yes Bojo is a w*nker of the highest order, so you get some of idea of what I thought of the opposition at the time.

Anyway, you’ve made my day demonstrating how demented spoiled soft  southerners  like yourself are over the situation. Tough is it? not getting your own way? Ah diddums..

Oh yes I think some ex labour failed politician is whinging about something regarding the lockdowns.  Just another as*hole I don’t pay close attention to.

Turkeys voting for christmas springs to mind. Brexit was a southern idea (could only have come from them) , born of people that want to rape the country, they won, you voted for their ideology. 

Those NE folk wont be so chipper with their vote come next year. Its going to be hysterical watching them whinge when the car industry disappears.

I recently came back from working in Cologne for a year. It amazes me how countries in Europe have several great cities with airport, train and general infrastructure at a good level.  It never hits home more than arriving back at Manchester airport and finding my way to the train station, then home.  The north has some beauty, but it’s infrastructure is horrendous and really does look grim to boot. When the next financial crisis hits, it will be a nightmare here.  I spent most my working life in the south of the uk and am looking at getting back there.  
Making comments about the north voting brexit means nothing.  It’s just picking out a small joke amongst a box of jokes being played on us all.

The irony is that the north voted for the current government and now Manchester are wanting to take them to court.

You couldn't make...................it up....................

No, the north didn't. You could be forgiven for not knowing this given the coverage, but Labour were the largest party in the north in 2019 once again, and the region returned a majority of Labour MPs despite having lost several. See below for regional breakdowns.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8749/

And Manchester particularly didn't vote for the current government: there are 27 MPs in GM, 18 Labour and 9 Tory. I've not been able to find a vote percentage breakdown for GM, but the average majority held by Labour MPs is much smaller than the equivalent Tory figure.

The north voted for Brexit and are now going to be shutdown until they all go bust.

I think Scotland, Wales and the North should go independent and the south should be a new country...........................'Great Southern'..................and rejoin the EU.

Yes, the south should operate under a rail franchise model, getting bailed out by the government every so often

My idea, suggested a few times, is split the UK into two countries. One remains in the EU and everyone who wants to remain in the EU moves to that country, the other is outside the EU and everyone who wants to be outside the EU moves there. Boris, Gove, Mogg etc can go rule Outer UK under the FPTP system they seem to like. We'll change to proportional representation in Inner UK.

It would be interesting to see which country is the happiest and most successful after 10 years.

Social league justice has a pathological hatred of the north. They are the new foreigners. A classic example of hate and divide. Just to be clear though, the two most influential leading politicians that enabled Brexit were Farage and clown Johnson. Both (essentially from the south) and yes I know the coco was born in NY.  

I think Scotland, Wales and the North should go independent and the south should be a new country...........................'Great Southern'..................and rejoin the EU.

I agree, we'll be better off without a bunch of soft *****s leeching us dry.

Social league justice has a pathological hatred of the north. They are the new foreigners. A classic example of hate and divide. Just to be clear though, the two most influential leading politicians that enabled Brexit were Farage and clown Johnson. Both (essentially from the south) and yes I know the coco was born in NY.  

Indeed I think he has lost the plot. Gone off on a rant. The reason the Tories had such a huge majority today is because labour voted for a referendum then the remain lot tried to null the result. The public just wanted to leave but the remain section of the labour party (Jeremy obviously isn't part of that group) so voted just to get Brexit done. I say this as a labour leaver I hold the metropolitan parts of the labour party for abandoning the traditional labour voters.

Indeed I think he has lost the plot. Gone off on a rant. The reason the Tories had such a huge majority today is because labour voted for a referendum then the remain lot tried to null the result. The public just wanted to leave but the remain section of the labour party (Jeremy obviously isn't part of that group) so voted just to get Brexit done. I say this as a labour leaver I hold the metropolitan parts of the labour party for abandoning the traditional labour voters.

That's another extreme position. You lot just love to divide, classic Trumpian politics. The truth is that the vote was split, with the Tories being the largest party in a system that over represents the winning party. They got in on 'an oven ready deal' to 'get Brexit done'. Their oven ready meal is ashes. 

That's another extreme position. You lot just love to divide, classic Trumpian politics. The truth is that the vote was split, with the Tories being the largest party in a system that over represents the winning party. They got in on 'an oven ready deal' to 'get Brexit done'. Their oven ready meal is ashes. 

It didn't need to be split though. We voted to leave in 2016 and should have left way before the start of 2020. Remainers must be held accountable for Boris' 80 seat majority but they seem to wash their hands of the result they helped achieve.

I enjoy that he has that kind of majority, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing us to have it (and also destroy Comrade Corbyn's traitor politics too, that was nice red cherry to be placed on our democratic cake of freedom), but if you're not a fan of Boris or someone else who promises this democracy, maybe allow the next vote you don't like the result of to go through without so much blocking and moaning.

"You lot" is ironically quite devisive too.

People didn't actually vote to get Brexit done (at least the majority didn't). The parties that were either against Brexit or in favour of a second referendum won a majority of the vote in 2019.

Edited by thecrashingisles

People didn't actually vote to get Brexit done (at least the majority didn't). The parties that were either against Brexit or in favour of a second referendum won a majority of the vote in 2019.

What about 2016 and 2017?

Wasn't 2017 about 85% for "getting Brexit done" parties? 2016 was just shy of 52%. Just saying like 🙂

What about 2016 and 2017?

Wasn't 2017 about 85% for "getting Brexit done" parties? 2016 was just shy of 52%. Just saying like 🙂

2016 was clearly a vote for Brexit. In many ways the Labour surge in 2017 was just a vote against Brexit, unless you can give me another good reason why 40% of people would vote for Corbyn?

2016 was clearly a vote for Brexit. In many ways the Labour surge in 2017 was just a vote against Brexit, unless you can give me another good reason why 40% of people would vote for Corbyn?

Well, in 2017 Labour said they would honour the referendum. In 2019, they said they'd go for a 2nd ref. I'm not saying they're exactly aligned with the election results that came to pass (good for Labour, and an utter drubbing respectively), but I have a suspicion there might be a link.

Such a ridiculous argument that you know yourself to be silly. I dont vare about Brexit, but I voted Labour because I'm not dim.

I don't think that the "people voted for parties who promised x around Brexit" is any form of decent analysis. It was just a response to the statement that 2019 was somehow a vote for Remain. It's always much more complicated

For me, a 2019 vote for the Conservatives was a vote for the preservation of democracy and also a vote for the rejection of communism. Either could be more important to one person or another, and as you have said, your own vote was not a vote for Remain and this is consistent with the "people who voted for parties..." statement above.

I didn't really vote for Brexit either. I wanted the democratic vote passed 3.5 years earlier to be enacted, and if it was a result for Remain, and the Brexiteers were still keeping on and threatening to leave against the will of the majority, I would have voted for the party who promised to "get remaining done".