House Price Crash Forum

UK shoppers urged to shun Amazon Prime Day to support small businesses

Going to work as well as the old 'Buy British' campaigns.

You need to level the playing field - either reduce costs and taxes for real shops or increase them against Amazon et al.

Any pushback from the US and we will claim associated IP to the Crown and auction them off

I always try to avoid Amazon like a plague. Week ago I bought a juicer from ebay. The guy took my money, ordered one from Amazon and they sent it to me.

Arbitrage is alive and well.  Find some fault with item and ask for your money back. The additional cost isn't worth it to him and he'll give you a 20% refund to keep quiet.

You need to level the playing field - either reduce costs and taxes for real shops or increase them against Amazon et al.

Any pushback from the US and we will claim associated IP to the Crown and auction them off

Getting amazon to collect the VAT on the sale would be a start.

Absolute insanity that people can sell + VAT on ebay/amazon etc from overseas. HMRC are chocolate teapot at enforcement of that whack a mole game.

Other parts of the world have made them collect VAT on their behalf. Just nonsense the UK hasnt made it happen yet.

Even if you level the playing field there economies of scale will surely continue to favour Amazon?

I love Amazon too. One click and the stuff appears in a locker near my house the following day. Prime day and Black Friday see some insane price drops too.

I mean don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of inflating of prices ahead of the likes of prime day before sticking the “come get me” prices. But in the main supermarkets and other online retailers can’t get close to amazons prices.

I appreciate ethically their empire can put a lot of people off... but i feel I support other local businesses in other ways. 

4 hours ago, squeezed said:

I always try to avoid Amazon like a plague. Week ago I bought a juicer from ebay. The guy took my money, ordered one from Amazon and they sent it to me.

LOL probably some van-lifer with his own "drop-shipping" company. 

'OUTRAGEOUS' Amazon to escape digital services tax while small traders using its marketplace get hit

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/12924274/amazon-escaped-digital-services-tax/

Amazon will escape landmark digital tax

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-will-escape-landmark-digital-tax-z3vbf52v3

Amazon will not be affected by the new digital services tax but small traders who use its online marketplace will be penalised, HMRC has admitted. Ministers had claimed that the tax, announced in April, would make “global giants with profitable businesses in the UK pay their fair share towards supporting our public services”.

In June Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, said that the coronavirus crisis had made tech giants even “more powerful and more profitable” and that they needed “to pay their fair share of tax”.

However, The Times has learnt that Amazon, whose total British tax bill last year was £293 million on sales of £13.73 billion, will not have to pay the levy on goods it sells itself.,,

amazon is superb why would you want to avoid ?! 

Its all hunky dory until they screw up your account and you need to speak to someone with a brain to fix it. Have you ever tried deleting your account? - what a mess and my account is still there 3 months later.

Edited by LetsBuild

Its all hunky dory until they screw up your account and you need to speak to someone with a brain to fix it. Have you ever tried deleting your account? - what a mess and my account is still there 3 months later.

Never had a problem to be honest...One time I needed to speak to them i did it on the chat/messenger and they sorted it out

Dear UK high street retail: it's a competitive market and nobody owes you a living, up your game and offer customers a decent value proposition or go out of business.

A good place to start would be negotiating that rent down hard instead of moaning that your potential customers don't want to pay higher prices so your commercial landlord can buy another ivory backscratcher.

Rents,rates and taxes have killed the high street.......the small generally pay the most, the big swallow the competition by buying them out or pricing them out....never been a level playing field....people naturally will move to the place that they see the best way for them......down to those in charge with the power to change any issue of competition fairness, mergers and monopoly....... don't blame the people, blame the cause not the effect.;)

Never had a problem to be honest...One time I needed to speak to them i did it on the chat/messenger and they sorted it out

Someone living at my old address didn’t bother putting their name in the delivery field and the system just stuck my name instead (because I had used Amazon from there in the past), so I consider that a breach of private data for starters.

If I hadn’t stumbled across parcels outside my old address with my name on I would have been none the wiser. I investigated and the person living at my old address had just moved in so whoever it was had lived there and moved again, but now our accounts became merged, so effectively their parcels were going to their now old address with my name on! Countless chats and phone calls couldn’t fix it but the amazon delivery man now started ringing me and delivering someone else’s parcels with my name and old address to me at my current address. Total mess that the Amazon simpletons couldn’t fix. Only way I fixed it was to ‘delete’ my account which is a total joke in itself and move address -I’ve not used amazon myself since Feb but I was getting 3 parcels of Chinese tat every week over summer lol.

Just thought I would add that my old old address was just a couple of doors down the hall in an apartment building to my newer address that I had to pass to get to the lift, I don’t routinely go round looking at the doorsteps of places I’ve lived - (just in case that sounded weird haha).

Edited by LetsBuild

Yep, from the viewpoint of a consumer, Amazon have always been excellent.

There are of course questions about them having an unfair advantage over brick and mortal retail, being a de-facto monopoly, working conditions for warehouse workers etc but from the viewpoint of someone who just wants to buy stuff, they can't be faulted.

I'm old enough to remember when everything had to be bought from local retailers and it was far from a golden age - High prices, very poor choice and often as not, poor service.  Being able to lift my phone and tap on the screen a few times to order practically any consumer item available for (usually) next day delivery is amazing.  I've been across the Atlantic and needed stuff - no problem, have it delivered from the local Amazon to a delivery locker near my hotel the next day.  On the few occasions I've had to return something, absolutely no issues. 

Someone living at my old address didn’t bother putting their name in the delivery field and the system just stuck my name instead (because I had used Amazon from there in the past), so I consider that a breach of private data for starters.

If I hadn’t stumbled across parcels outside my old address with my name on I would have been none the wiser. I investigated and the person living at my old address had just moved in so whoever it was had lived there and moved again, but now our accounts became merged, so effectively their parcels were going to their now old address with my name on! Countless chats and phone calls couldn’t fix it but the amazon delivery man now started ringing me and delivering someone else’s parcels with my name and old address to me at my current address. Total mess that the Amazon simpletons couldn’t fix. Only way I fixed it was to ‘delete’ my account which is a total joke in itself and move address -I’ve not used amazon myself since Feb but I was getting 3 parcels of Chinese tat every week over summer lol.

Just thought I would add that my old old address was just a couple of doors down the hall in an apartment building to my newer address that I had to pass to get to the lift, I don’t routinely go round looking at the doorsteps of places I’ve lived - (just in case that sounded weird haha).

Not sure what happened there - you can have multiple addresses in their system and you choose the one you want packages delivered to by default (if you just click 'buy it now') as well as being able to choose any of them when you go through their checkout.

I have two residential addresses on my account and my work address too, as well as a nearby post office to one of the residential addresses (not used much since I can now get them delivered at work).  Never an issue specifying exactly where I want stuff delivered to if I don't want it to go to the default.

amazon is superb why would you want to avoid ?! 

Agreed. I go to local premises for fruit and veg, general boring "weekly shop" stuff, the occasional haircut, clothes as required and to eat and drink. You have to be some kind of moron to think that any high street can compete with what Amazon does.

Also, those delivery drivers dropping off countless items in one trip surely has to have some green advantage too.

Once you whack parking fines, speed cameras, bus lane cameras, fuel cost and time into the equation things become even simpler. 

Sorry to hear it @LetsBuild  ...  Your story sounds similar in terms of 'deleting' your account as mine BUT with PayPal.  Now THEY really are a nightmare to deal with!! :P

Paypal are a law unto themselves,  I spent probably hours disputing charges that I incurred because some fool accidentally sent me money that Paypal subsequently refunded and then charged me for the privilege of rectifying the other party's mistake.

It's amazing that the regulators allow them to get away with so much, I can only assume that they are 'well connected' to key people in the process.