House Price Crash Forum

Fifth of countries at risk of ecosystem collapse, analysis finds

I’m sure this won’t cause any problems whatsoever.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/12/fifth-of-nations-at-risk-of-ecosystem-collapse-analysis-finds

One-fifth of the world’s countries are at risk of their ecosystems collapsing because of the destruction of wildlife and their habitats, according to an analysis by the insurance firm Swiss Re.

Natural “services” such as food, clean water and air, and flood protection have already been damaged by human activity.

More than half of global GDP – $42tn (£32tn) – depends on high-functioning biodiversity, according to the report, but the risk of tipping points is growing.

Nature will recover faster than humans with their ludicrous, unwise & naive dependency on ever more complex & derivative support structures.

End of Home Sapiens <> End of the world.

And for the narcissists:

End of you <> End of the world.  With knobs on.

4 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Thank you.

Please make sure you pays lots of taxes.

"Daddy, why did you and mummy have me?"

"Because the government were paying better rates than savings accounts."

Nature will recover faster than humans with their ludicrous, unwise & naive dependency on ever more complex & derivative support structures.

And for the narcissists:

Well last time i went shooting rabbits there were thousands of them, and now that TV bird loving twit has has the general licence suspended via the courts, there is a slow explosion of pigeons and crows that could be eaten too. 

We should be ok, just need lots more home grown food in gardens.

It's not simply a population numbers game, it's also a consumption game. When 1% of the worlds population consume more than than the bottom 30%, where do you think 'restraint' should be applied?

Is it depressing, like the end of the world or something.

It’s the rush to the bottom. Quantity over quality. Money over everything. 

Yeah it’s depressing but I’m glad to see it in prime time. Too many people have no idea what we voted for.

It's not simply a population numbers game, it's also a consumption game. When 1% of the worlds population consume more than than the bottom 30%, where do you think 'restraint' should be applied?

Equally everywhere, but especially to the people selling the stuff to the 1%. 

Pyramid schemes don’t end well. 

Equally everywhere, but especially to the people selling the stuff to the 1%. 

Pyramid schemes don’t end well. 

You think the 1% are innocently sitting there, just passively consuming all the tat created by the 3rd world?

Erm...who put the factories in the 3rd world and why?

You think the 1% are innocently sitting there, just passively consuming all the tat created by the 3rd world?

No I said the people selling the stuff to the 1%, the 0.01%. The people who have watched their worth soar during the pandemic. If we didn’t have billionaires running our governments then we’d stand a chance. Most people don’t actually want to pillage the world and destroy the lives of people less fortunate than themselves, but they make choices that contribute to it because it’s presented as a quick, easy, neutral option. Steak Tuesdays.

image.jpeg.ae5776402ebc6b99529757fb2b8599ad.jpeg

But nothing will change. We’ve blown it.

But nothing will change. We’ve blown it.

I misinterpreted your post and agree that a tiny 0.01% have had way too much power without accountability. What really angers me are the numerous apologists that for the 0.01% that are convinced there is no alternative.  Worse than Turkeys voting for Christmas, it's Turkey's saying they are better off with Christmas.

Change will happen, just not the change we need.  Like you said, all pyramid schemes collapse.  Having some real world skills, good health, an open mindset, and not being tied down to a single country are the tools we need now.

And for the narcissists:

We're not facing the end of homo sapiens anyway, even with the worst case scenarios (out of the even vaguely plausible ones).

Isn't every UK Citizen in the 1%?

You're forgetting the elephant in the room:

People don't listen to the environmental lobby.

(Is it because they're always crying wolf about something or other, then demanding a direct debit payment so they can carry on their noble do goodery.  ?

Is it because they've queered their pitch with perennial hysteria? )

So people just zone them out directly they start preaching. 

(They could mail us all a football with a poison logo over a world map, and it would go straight in the bin.)

So it will be quite a struggle to convince people it's not just more charity collection box hysteria... 

The only preaching I’ll admit to is suggesting that having fewer people on the planet would benefit everyone. David Attenborough says the same thing. And I prefer electric vehicles, because I hate smelling exhaust fumes and seeing grimy buildings. 

As for the rest, it’s absolutely baked in that we’ll hit 2C warming well before the end of the century. Emissions are rising, not falling. Short of some miraculous carbon capture there’s nothing we can do to stop the big melt (and associated catastrophes such as famine, disease etc). 

On the bright side I expect house prices in newly unliveable zones to plummet, so fill yer boots.

The only preaching I’ll admit to is suggesting that having fewer people on the planet would benefit everyone. David Attenborough says the same thing. And I prefer electric vehicles, because I hate smelling exhaust fumes and seeing grimy buildings.

I hate most of the electric infrastructure more, pity they're unwilling to stump up the expense of nuclear and burying cables. There's no win-win there (although I do like electric vehicles).

Fully agree with fewer people though, those having lots of children are massively irresponsible.

.. pity they're unwilling to stump up the expense of nuclear and burying cables. There's no win-win there (although I do like electric vehicles).

Are you suggesting that getting Nuclear helps bury cables?

Are you suggesting that getting Nuclear helps bury cables?

Not at all. Just two aspects of electricity supply, not related beyond the fact that they're both part of the overall infrastructure. Merely two things I'd like to see in my ideal world (well nuclear is more of a least bad than ideal option).

Edited by Riedquat