House Price Crash Forum

British woman attempts to fly to Dubai with £2m stashed in her luggage

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/british-woman-attempts-to-fly-to-dubai-with-2m-stashed-in-her-luggage-1.1090003

A British woman has been charged after attempting to fly from Heathrow to Dubai with nearly £2 million in cash in her luggage.

Tara Hanlon, 30, from Leeds, was charged with money laundering after Border Force officers found £1.9m ($2.57m) inside five suitcases.

She was arrested at about 8pm on Saturday along with a 28-year-old woman from Doncaster, who authorities have not named.

The haul is the largest cash seizure at the border this year.

UK immigration minister Chris Philp said: “This is the largest individual cash seizure at the border so far in 2020 and I am delighted with the efforts of Border Force officers.na07-OCT-Luggage.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/british-woman-attempts-to-fly-to-dubai-with-2m-stashed-in-her-luggage-1.1090003

A British woman has been charged after attempting to fly from Heathrow to Dubai with nearly £2 million in cash in her luggage.

Tara Hanlon, 30, from Leeds, was charged with money laundering after Border Force officers found £1.9m ($2.57m) inside five suitcases.

She was arrested at about 8pm on Saturday along with a 28-year-old woman from Doncaster, who authorities have not named.

The haul is the largest cash seizure at the border this year.

UK immigration minister Chris Philp said: “This is the largest individual cash seizure at the border so far in 2020 and I am delighted with the efforts of Border Force officers.na07-OCT-Luggage.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$

Ah hooky money.  £10 notes LOL.  She'd have spent the rest of her life changing it😄

I hope its not illegal to do this if it is your legitimate cash though..🤔

In a decent country, you'd be allowed to keep your own money. 

Strange how envy and spite seem to dominate everything. 

I wonder if there's a reason they're flying 2m in cash and not using a balance transfer 🤔.

In a decent country, you'd be allowed to keep your own money. 

Strange how envy and spite seem to dominate everything. 

She's entitled to it if it's hers and it has been legitimately acquired and taxed. She just needs to demonstrate this. A simple explanation as to why she has that much money in cash should suffice. Quick checks by the authorities and she'll be on her way. 

There are probably rules about the amount of cash she can carry through the airport - I think ten grand or so. 

She's entitled to it if it's hers and it has been legitimately acquired and taxed. She just needs to demonstrate this. A simple explanation as to why she has that much money in cash should suffice. Quick checks by the authorities and she'll be on her way. 

There are probably rules about the amount of cash she can carry through the airport - I think ten grand or so. 

They're hoping to confiscate it. 

And everyone applauds?

3 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

Ah hooky money.  £10 notes LOL.  She'd have spent the rest of her life changing it😄

I hope its not illegal to do this if it is your legitimate cash though..🤔

Anything over £1000 can be confiscated. Don't believe the custom warning about £5k being the limit without declaring it, UK law allows £1k cash and they will use UK law not the customs limit.

For a forum that prides itself on being hard nosed and cynical hpcers are often surprisingly naive. 

The reality is that £2m is probably one of several similar packages and the loss of one of them is seen as a cost of doing business. Drugs mules operate in the same way; you go with a scattergun approach, assume 1 or 2 will get caught and price it in.  

For a forum that prides itself on being hard nosed and cynical hpcers are often surprisingly naive. 

The reality is that £2m is probably one of several similar packages and the loss of one of them is seen as a cost of doing business. Drugs mules operate in the same way; you go with a scattergun approach, assume 1 or 2 will get caught and price it in.  

LOL

Edited by shlomo

Jesh. Criminals are dumb. I legit you would just pay the cash in the bank , and bank wire it for a fee, or wire it to a bitcoin exchange and buy Bitcoin, and transfer that. 

If a criminal i would slowly pay it into dozens of of bank accounts, they could be fake identity theft ones as long as you had access, £1000 a day at a time, then transfer it £5k a time to a non KYC crypto exchange, then buy Monero with it, and then transfer and sell the Monero in a local exchange in Dubai. 

Pretty sure Muslim's have declared crypto all good with the Koran as there is no interest involved. 

Jesh. Criminals are dumb. I legit you would just pay the cash in the bank , and bank wire it for a fee, or wire it to a bitcoin exchange and buy Bitcoin, and transfer that. 

If a criminal i would slowly pay it into dozens of of bank accounts, they could be fake identity theft ones as long as you had access, £1000 a day at a time, then transfer it £5k a time to a non KYC crypto exchange, then buy Monero with it, and then transfer and sell the Monero in a local exchange in Dubai. 

Pretty sure Muslim's have declared crypto all good with the Koran as there is no interest involved. 

35182.png

They're hoping to confiscate it. 

And everyone applauds?

Sadly that attitude does run through this website irrespective of where that money came from...legit or not.  Paying for something in cash in Dubai may well not raise any eyebrows at all and given the cost of property out there it's hardly loads.

Sadly that attitude does run through this website irrespective of where that money came from...legit or not.  Paying for something in cash in Dubai may well not raise any eyebrows at all and given the cost of property out there it's hardly loads.

Envy and jealousy are incurable diseases 

Sniffer dogs can smell cash, I once had a few hundred pounds and a few hundred euros on me going through an airport, and they detected me.

I think it is fairly likely the money was obtained illegally, or tax hasn't been paid on it.  But who knows?  Maybe there is a reason.  Maybe she just doesn't like banks.

Sniffer dogs can smell cash, I once had a few hundred pounds and a few hundred euros on me going through an airport, and they detected me.

I think it is fairly likely the money was obtained illegally, or tax hasn't been paid on it.  But who knows?  Maybe there is a reason.  Maybe she just doesn't like banks.

And despite all the signs saying you need to declare more than 10k at the airport she forgot about the 2m in the suitcase?