House Price Crash Forum

Johnson’s ‘Generation Buy’ is a catastrophe in waiting

HOLA441

Looks like lockdown of housing market 2 is on the cards.

Followed by more "pent up demand"? more props? Not this time.

If we emerge from lockdown in a couple of months, I predict no pent up demand, mass unemployment, massive crash.

But over optimistic that. Winter traditionally quiet. I've given up. I've been renting for several years and hoping things would decline , 10, maybe 15% for a decent house in the East Midlands for around the 200k mark. Not happening. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I purchased in 2016 as I’d spent 10 years waiting for a crash. I put everything into it , so no pension at age 45. 
I remember Osborne and the more spineless Dave C berating Labour for what they did to the housing market and then almost doubled them as soon as they got in.
It’s a strong word to use “hate”, but my disgust for Cameron was that he didn’t need to be a career politician.  He just wanted an easy ride and write his memoir.  Boris Johnson is not different.  Spineless weak glutton.  No will to do the right thing and make painful decisions, as in the short term it would crucify him. 
Where all this is going I have no idea, but I’m certainly worried about what the future brings. 

HOLA443

I purchased in 2016 as I’d spent 10 years waiting for a crash. I put everything into it , so no pension at age 45. 
I remember Osborne and the more spineless Dave C berating Labour for what they did to the housing market and then almost doubled them as soon as they got in.
It’s a strong word to use “hate”, but my disgust for Cameron was that he didn’t need to be a career politician.  He just wanted an easy ride and write his memoir.  Boris Johnson is not different.  Spineless weak glutton.  No will to do the right thing and make painful decisions, as in the short term it would crucify him. 
Where all this is going I have no idea, but I’m certainly worried about what the future brings. 

Over the next decade, possibly:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/businessreview/2020/09/18/the-great-demographic-reversal-and-what-it-means-for-the-economy/

"The determination of (real) interest rates during the great reversal

The rising inflation that we foresee in the future will raise nominal interest rates, but not necessarily real interest rates. There are multiple factors influencing the equilibrium real interest rate, r*.  We doubt whether the prospective slowdown in world growth will depress r*.  While slower growth will tend to reduce both ex ante saving and ex ante investment in the private sector, we tend to believe that savings will fall by more. If so, the public sector should ideally move back towards primary surplus to balance the economy. But rising health and pension costs, and the political unpopularity of tax increases, will hinder that. Political pressures may force central banks to hold short-term rates below the level consistent with inflation targets, thus keeping short real rates low, while market pressures lead to stronger increases in long rates, both nominal and real.  The yield curve will become much more upwards sloping."

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

My sympathies.  I have a relative in Australia who is Tory supporting but no where near 100% loyal.

When I told her what they did with help to buy they just said "That is crazy".

The future is either

a) no crash and more and more people have to pay crazy amounts

b) or a crash

c) hyperinflation so current prices become affordable?

None of these are good.  This situation could have been stopped so many times in the past it makes me weep that we are like this.

IIRC there was just one UKIP councilor somewhere who was against Help to Buy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

They dont think its already on course for a collapse? 

Have these loons no seen how crazy the proces are? 

Their journalists will he out of work in the next 5 years 

HOLA4412

They dont think its already on course for a collapse? 

Have these loons no seen how crazy the proces are? 

Their journalists will he out of work in the next 5 years 

I think it may extend the bubble and lead to horrible ramifications over the next decade.

Boris thinks he's a visionary but he's just playing cargo cult politics hoping for a win in 2024.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4413

I think it may extend the bubble and lead to horrible ramifications over the next decade.

Boris thinks he's a visionary but he's just playing cargo cult politics hoping for a win in 2024.

Long term a crash - blamed on Covid - could be better for them.  Sadly no British politician wants house prices to reduce - very few want even want stability!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Long term a crash - blamed on Covid - could be better for them.  Sadly no British politician wants house prices to reduce - very few want even want stability!

2015 was a spectacular GE win off the back of Help to Buy and triple lock

One day the demographics won't support that. Not sure how soon.

HOLA4416

To short sterling, you have to nominate (at least one) other currency - against which you expect relative value to decline.

When I was young, I assumed everyone wanted their own currency to be strong - so they could buy lots from abroad.  I was shocked when I realised, a bit over a decade ago, that the opposite has (almost always) been the case... where representatives for each currency seek to devalue their own.  On reflection, this makes some kind of perverse sense... if you assume those in control are selling assets priced in thier own currency.

Or just want to level the balance of trade through competitive exports.......

Germany famously undervalued the DM when they went into the Euro making most others relatively expensive. The Euro effectively pegging the relative value of all currencies at each other on day one. Don't have to look to hard to understand why they did that. 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Thank you. The original headline was a bit misleading, and quite confusing, but this (with a new headline) clears it up.

Just a quick message to Ben Chapman too. Supply is one of the causes of HPI. Probably not the main one, but lack of it has not helped.

HOLA4420

Brilliant. Thanks for this. I couldn’t find an alternative link to post earlier. I’ve updated my original post to include your link.

I thought it was great to finally see an article in the MSM which succinctly illustrates so much of what’s been said on here over the years.

Like many on here I imagine, I’ve been banging my head up against a wall for years trying to explain this whole rotten situation to people (particularly boomers) who either don’t get it, can’t see what the problem is, or think I’ve completely lost the plot. I’ll be sending them these links so that they can take it all in from a ‘credible’ source. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

His central argument is that interest rates will eventually rise.

They will not.

Not even in the face of wild inflation because it will trigger a wave of global sovereign defaults. 

Nominal interest rates will have to rise a bit if inflation goes up.

But his academic background is history, law and journalism; so I don't think he's speaking from a position of actual authority.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4425

Nominal interest rates will have to rise a bit if inflation goes up.

Sorry, seems intuitive and they may in the short term but CBs and governments can trash currency and sit on the sidelines/buy bonds until the whole system unwinds. I now see that they will, I once thought as you but I have stared into the abyss and seen their dark hearts.