House Price Crash Forum

The creation of a Dickensian underclass

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read up on the Precariat by Guy Standing, its a very interesting book and illustrates how young people are having it much more difficult than older generations. 

I think in some instances we are already here with the precariat underclass. 

Even those with decent jobs aren't doing that great either.

Whats left of the poor working class will vote for whoever they are told to in order to keep what little they get.  The idea of working class kids 'doing good' evaporated. Just look at the comments here against 'lefty University' and 'liberal elites'

The underclass (chav, roadmen, ned) don't give a sh*t so long as the benefit cheques keep coming or they can steal enough and get away with it. The London Riots were a 2 way warning to keep the status quo.

They never went away. My teacher friend BUYS SOCKS for some pupils because they don't have any. Other teachers bring in food. Some schools have washing machines so kids can at least get their clothes cleaned. 

Whenever I hear someone desperately trying to win the Most Oppressed award, I remind myself there are children in this country being subjected to the worst sort of treatment, and it just gets ignored because they don't even know how to complain.

They never went away. My teacher friend BUYS SOCKS for some pupils because they don't have any. Other teachers bring in food. Some schools have washing machines so kids can at least get their clothes cleaned. 

Whenever I hear someone desperately trying to win the Most Oppressed award, I remind myself there are children in this country being subjected to the worst sort of treatment, and it just gets ignored because they don't even know how to complain.

It's very very very very difficult to do something about terrible parents. I agree, I've seen some of this poverty myself.

The problem is consolidation of wealth, power and media control at the very top over the last 30 years. The financial crisis of 2008 saw that consolidation of wealth and power put on turbo mode and now we are seeing it further exaserbated by covid. 

The game is rigged to favour those with the most and to protect what they have. An underclass is an inevitable consequence of such inequality and the reason why I find it absurd to get triggered over 'benefits scroungers'. They are victims of circumstance and a system that sees them as easy target for vilification. 

Edited by Postman

They believed the tories lies on Brexit, immigration exit. AGAIN

I spoke to a few old friends who had turned from Labour to Tory in traditional life long standing Labour areas and I got the feeling that they somehow thought that they had moved up the social ladder by voting Tory it was quite bewildering really.

I spoke to a few old friends who had turned from Labour to Tory in traditional life long standing Labour areas and I got the feeling that they somehow thought that they had moved up the social ladder by voting Tory it was quite bewildering really.

Well, they'll be right back down to the bottom of it by 2015.

They believed the tories lies on Brexit, immigration exit. AGAIN

No its the truth that ImIGrAnTs and B*XiT are the causes. I don't need proof and experts and if you try and challenge me you are part of the neo-liberal-pedo-elite. If you get offended then you are a snowflake and cant handle an argument.

</sarcasm>

The problem is consolidation of wealth, power and media control at the very top over the last 30 years. The financial crisis of 2008 saw that consolidation of wealth and power put on turbo mode and now we are seeing it further exaserbated by covid. 

The game is rigged to favour those with the most and to protect what they have. An underclass is an inevitable consequence of such inequality and the reason why I find it absurd to get triggered over 'benefits scroungers'. They are victims of circumstance and a system that sees them as easy target for vilification. 

Perhaps just perhaps everyone played a part in their own downfall - the B word or immigration isn't the issue at its core its globalisation which favours the elites probably more by accident initially then the saw how good it was for them

Kids are happy to steal peoples IP by copying books or films, Adults by buying goods and food at stupidly low prices and wealthy boomers going long haul for relative peanuts

The game is rigged but no one is blameless at any level - There is no nobility of the poor they just didn't have the opportunity to take advantage like others

Plenty aren't victims by a country mile either

Edited by GregBowman

It's very very very very difficult to do something about terrible parents. I agree, I've seen some of this poverty myself.

I'm not even sure social services/NHS Child Heathcare teams really try particularly hard to look for parents for instance who might be doing things like not sending their kids to school.

My kids go to a private school over the county border, and it has taken the local social services/NHS team 8 years to check the kids are actually going to school, as they aren't on the County Schools register.

I am fairly certain they only suddenly became interested because they were requested to drive and monitor flu vaccinations. 

I half wanted to joke that i sent them abroad for schooling in a Madrasa - but decided that being of British origin that they might count that as radicalisation.

I'm not even sure social services/NHS Child Heathcare teams really try particularly hard to look for parents for instance who might be doing things like not sending their kids to school.

I'm certain that's right. They only have the resources (or the proficiency) to look for the clear active cases of child abuse and severe neglect. Not washing your kid's school clothes is part of that. But there's much worse.

I was a kid in the eighties and imo, this was the last time ordinary people had any kind of chance at making a better life for themselves.  Once the 1990's dawned and then Tony Blair turned up pretending he wasn't a Tory, it was all over.

The cracks have been papered over since 1996 by fooling mug punters nto thinking that they are rich if they buy an overpriced property with a liar loan.

We are fooked and imo it's only going to get worse because all anyone ever thinks about is jumping on the housing ponzi.

The UK has become pathetic country.....truely pathetic.

"The American Dream" the idea that anyone can pull themselves up by their boot-straps just with hard work and a bit of luck

There is a very real reason there never was a 'British dream' also we don't have "free speech" 

We are a country of status quo and establishment, always have been and always will be. 

Only way to really be wealthy is to have generational wealth, where each generation is driven by money and saving/protecting it, and thus by its very nature is fragile as it only takes one person to mess it up for future generations. 

"The American Dream" the idea that anyone can pull themselves up by their boot-straps just with hard work and a bit of luck

There is a very real reason there never was a 'British dream' also we don't have "free speech"

American Claptrap.  The myth of the 'American Dream' is up there with the Yanks breaking Enigma, Winning Vietnam, and being good at football (the proper version).  US social mobility is markedly worse by any objective standard.

The idea of 'American Freedom' is the Elites freedom to exploit, any sort of freedom of equality is stamped upon - Try taking the knee.

its no so much of a comment on America, but of the fact the concept flourished in America and we have no such equivalent says a lot

modern day America now has its own establishment who put things in place to protect the status quo, things like excessive regulations, rents and other barriers which are designed to prevent small start ups or competition, while hiding behind health and safety etc

how would any young person starting out today actually end up very wealthy? even for those doing 'everything right' have such a slim slim chance, too many head-winds in the way, too many people who put up road-blocks.

we have a system which is set up to support old people, thats all its there for, how else would you make the capable young spend all their energy and time supporting the old? you cant, but force them to buy expensive houses, and face legal threats if you try and avoid it.

its just a long churn. 

That must be down to feckless parents? I know i have a good life but assuming we hit the skids and lost everything, relied on the state, I dont smoke, dont do drugs, booze would go until the basics were sorted and i would happily go back to a Nokia 2g brick phone and give up Sky Q if needed. I would make sure my kids had clothes, clean clothes and food before any of those luxuries for me.

Had to do a double take then as I read that as STOCKS. I thought, how out of touch is that teacher.

Edited by spacedin

Didn't legislation promoted by Jack Straw actually make it illegal for a child in a care home to speak out about abuse?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/why_did_jack_straw_make_it_illeg

We are a country of status quo and establishment, always have been and always will be. 

Only way to really be wealthy is to have generational wealth, where each generation is driven by money and saving/protecting it, and thus by its very nature is fragile as it only takes one person to mess it up for future generations. 

When did the dream start to become the nightmare?......we all know it is not the nightmare for those that have the ability to capitalise from those who believe all are equal and all can have a fair chance of living a or the dream.

....is the penny starting to drop?........are we now more (filter mode) informed? can the wool still be pulled easily over smokey eyes, where is that mirror?....none so blind as those that would rather not see?....all is fine and dandy, how we love bubbles, asset bubbles, including living in a bubble....;)

All a bit defeatist. 

You can tame the rich by making them earn their own money. They're not very good at it because they only know sponging. 

And you can do that by cutting down on monopolies, cartels, government contracts, sine cures and all the rest. Fake charities. Etc. 

The other thing you have to do is convince people to stop voting for the biggest thief ie the one that promises them the most money. 

Because until you pay off the national debt, you're being sponged. 

Once you've done those 2 things, you can let the working man keep his own money (instead of having to carry several parasites  all the time like atlas)

It's not impossible.