House Price Crash Forum

Up to 30,000 affordable houses to be scrapped under Tory planning reforms

Close to half of affordable homes in some of the most expensive areas of England will not be built if ministers proceed with planning reforms, analysis by councils suggests.

The government’s proposal to scrap the duty of developers, to build affordable housing on sites for up to 40 or 50 homes, would have led to 30,000 of such homes going undelivered over the last five years, according to the Local Government Association (LGA).

Some areas likely to be most affected are the least affordable and under greatest housing pressure, the cross-party grouping said.

Elmbridge in Surrey, where the average house price is over £760,000, has 486 affordable homes either built under construction or with planning permission over the past five years. This would be reduced to 271 if the proposed 40 or 50-unit threshold is introduced, the LGA said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/07/up-to-30000-affordable-houses-to-be-scrapped-under-tory-planning-reforms

Tories showing their true colours.  Serves everyone who voted for them.

Home owning Boomers who voted for them won’t care about this policy, though?

I don’t know what the Tories would have to do to stop the vast majority of Boomers voting for them?

I don’t know what the Tories would have to do to stop the vast majority of Boomers voting for them?

Nothing. Democratic evaluation and assessment has been replaced with Ideological purity - Orwell would be terrified how far we've gone. Like Trump said - he could shoot someone in Times Square and his base wouldn't care.

The Tories could burn the UK and surrender to Russia and the Daily Fail brigade would 'welcome a new strong arm....'

Nothing. Democratic evaluation and assessment has been replaced with Ideological purity - Orwell would be terrified how far we've gone. Like Trump said - he could shoot someone in Times Square and his base wouldn't care.

The Tories could burn the UK and surrender to Russia and the Daily Fail brigade would 'welcome a new strong arm....'

Agreed. We're past the point where people can change their minds now. We do what we're told. https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81254224

I don't understand what "affordable homes" are. If (in the area quoted) average house price is over £760,000, is that affordable? If not, how will the builder sell them?

If the builder builds a certain number of "unaffordable" homes and puts them on the market at £760k which don't sell because no-one can afford them, how much are the "affordable" homes sold for? Are they proportionally smaller, lower quality, or what?

None of this makes any sense to me.

Close to half of affordable homes in some of the most expensive areas of England will not be built if ministers proceed with planning reforms, analysis by councils suggests.

The government’s proposal to scrap the duty of developers, to build affordable housing on sites for up to 40 or 50 homes, would have led to 30,000 of such homes going undelivered over the last five years, according to the Local Government Association (LGA).

Some areas likely to be most affected are the least affordable and under greatest housing pressure, the cross-party grouping said.

Elmbridge in Surrey, where the average house price is over £760,000, has 486 affordable homes either built under construction or with planning permission over the past five years. This would be reduced to 271 if the proposed 40 or 50-unit threshold is introduced, the LGA said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/07/up-to-30000-affordable-houses-to-be-scrapped-under-tory-planning-reforms

i`m on the self build register for elmbridge 🤣 

bob hope and ............

Who do they work for? Who do the Tories actually, really and truly work for?

Hint: It's not the voters. 

Actually quite a lot of Tory voters agree with everything they do. I know many of them. Being extremely wealthy they are not impacted by their policies negatively.

Try getting a social rented house if you are an English single person or couple who do not have kids.  try getting a social housing place if you work and do not have kids. 
All you guys here who rent on the private market have to approached your local authority and asked to be put on the list for social housing?

If not - why not? 

Try getting a social rented house if you are an English single person or couple who do not have kids.  try getting a social housing place if you work and do not have kids. 
All you guys here who rent on the private market have to approached your local authority and asked to be put on the list for social housing?

If not - why not? 

Because most know that under those conditions there would not be a snowball in hells chance of getting social housing.

There lies the problem.Thirty years ago housing was affordable.They would not even have thought of approaching the council as they would go straight to buy.

I bought at the age of 18 with an ex.I was first grade council office employee married to a postman.1983 to be precise.

Try that now and a Doctor married to a solicitor would find it tough.People in my circumstances as were back then,not a bloody chance.