House Price Crash Forum

Mum who saved £25,000 by doing a ‘no-spend’ year shares her top tips for sorting out your money

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/30/mum-who-saved-25000-by-doing-a-no-spend-year-shares-her-top-tips-for-sorting-out-your-money-13348449/

Lara-Money-Mistakes-8902.jpg?quality=90&

Lara Jarvis, 36, didn’t plan to do a no-spend challenge for an entire year. But when she saw how much money she had saved after just one month, the mum-of-two decided to keep going. One year later, Lara and her family had saved £25,000 towards a house deposit – and while they haven’t stuck rigidly to the same no-buy rules in 2020, the family has continued to put away the pennies and pounds throughout lockdown

This raises an awful lot of questions... A couple for starters....

What was the combined income and regular non-optional outgoings?

What would be the effect on the economy if everybody did this?

£68.50 a day is an awful lot of discretionary spending... Avocado toast? 

This raises an awful lot of questions... A couple for starters....

What was the combined income and regular non-optional outgoings?

What would be the effect on the economy if everybody did this?

£68.50 a day is an awful lot of discretionary spending... Avocado toast? 

Quite. I plan on spending just £30 per day, and I do buy a lot of crap. No kids which helps a lot though.

Edited by Huggy

The word SMUG comes to mind.

She works from home as a blogger and somehow managed to spend £300 a year on takeout coffee? I'm wondering if there's a trust fund involved.

Quite. I plan on spending just £30 per day, and I do buy a lot of crap. No kids which helps a lot though.

£30 a day......that is a lot for one person to spend on themselves a day.......what are you spending on?;)

God she does look smug in that pic. I have to concur with the above comments, these social media and instagram influencers are really talking out of their arses.

You can be frugal and miserable and depressed.

You can spend your hard earned money reasonably and enjoy life.

I have done both, earned in excess of 80K but only spent 1k per month.

I would say, save money when you can, cook food instead of take aways, restaurants, less spend on clothes, etc, and when you have cash in bank, spend it on holidays, experiences.

God she does look smug in that pic. I have to concur with the above comments, these social media and instagram influencers are really talking out of their arses.

You can be frugal and miserable and depressed.

You can spend your hard earned money reasonably and enjoy life.

I have done both, earned in excess of 80K but only spent 1k per month.

I would say, save money when you can, cook food instead of take aways, restaurants, less spend on clothes, etc, and when you have cash in bank, spend it on holidays, experiences.

Not read it......face enough to put anyone off, no influence there, the exact opposite.

You can be however frugal and happy.

You can spend your hard earned money recklessly and not enjoy your life.

Wise ways, cooking for yourself, not spending much on clothes..... sharing experiences, travel, meeting new people.....living well doesn't have to cost packets of money.;)

It's always a grift with these people.

"Having seen firsthand the power of learning about budgeting and the basics of personal finance, Lara is keen to spread the word and help people get control of their money, and now shares her wisdom on her website and YouTube channel."

I have beef with anyone using their kids as accessories or merchandising opportunities. Fine, prostitute yourself for clicks, but don't involve minors who can't consent to having indelible intrusion and lack of privacy. 

Hand on my heart I must confess I've watched some of her videos on youtube.  To be spercific her ones about house hunting as a first time buyer.

In her defence she has said the stamp duty holiday doesn't help if you can't save the 15% deposit,

The holiday is the governments desperate attempt to get life into the market.  

Mini boom prices wasn't a true reflection of house values.

Waiting until furlough ends and the market to sort itself out at the end of the year was the smarter thing to do.

So y'know....there were some useful opinions she has voiced even though she gets way to excited about houses but then I'm not her target audience.   

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/30/mum-who-saved-25000-by-doing-a-no-spend-year-shares-her-top-tips-for-sorting-out-your-money-13348449/

Lara-Money-Mistakes-8902.jpg?quality=90&

Lara Jarvis, 36, didn’t plan to do a no-spend challenge for an entire year. But when she saw how much money she had saved after just one month, the mum-of-two decided to keep going. One year later, Lara and her family had saved £25,000 towards a house deposit – and while they haven’t stuck rigidly to the same no-buy rules in 2020, the family has continued to put away the pennies and pounds throughout lockdown

####ing propagands nonsense. 

Starve yourself so you can pay someone a fortune for a house