House Price Crash Forum

how kind of them.

jimmy2x3

HOLA441

glasgow university who have locked down all their students and are only doing online courses have offered every student a months rent back and 50 quid for their trouble. 

how wonderfull of them. whats happened is they have with tuition fees and digs taking the best part of £20k for this year from students and in return they get locked into their accomadation and a couple of online lectures.

it kind of reminds me of the bar scene in good will hunting 

seems a rip off if you ask me. and also if deemed a sucess will it mean cheap online learning will start to be the norm? all that property and jobs not needed anymore as students maybe turn up to class for a lecture a month and the rest via zoom or some such thing. 

at any rate if i was a uni student just now i would definetly feel ripped off and being used to save the rather large salaries of the education institutes. 

HOLA442
HOLA443

glasgow university who have locked down all their students and are only doing online courses have offered every student a months rent back and 50 quid for their trouble. 

how wonderfull of them. whats happened is they have with tuition fees and digs taking the best part of £20k for this year from students and in return they get locked into their accomadation and a couple of online lectures.

seems a rip off if you ask me. and also if deemed a sucess will it mean cheap online learning will start to be the norm? all that property and jobs not needed anymore as students maybe turn up to class for a lecture a month and the rest via zoom or some such thing. 

at any rate if i was a uni student just now i would definetly feel ripped off and being used to save the rather large salaries of the education institutes. 

HOLA444
HOLA445

How do you like them apples?

HOLA446

In Scotland tuition fees are free. In future I suggest you do a bit more research before putting your foot in your mouth in front of everyone. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's insane to ship kids all over the country to take on huge debts to study things they'll never use in their life after they graduate. And now they won't even be able to get a job in Starbucks afterwards.

The Universities have become big business and our young people have become the commodities.

They are ceremoniously shipped off at their and their parents expense for their left wing brain washing/indoctrination.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Ooops, nerve touched!

Sorry.

Did I say that they all left with a communist membership card?

Lets agree to disagree and you can go back into your safe space.

No you didn't, but you basically suggested everyone who has been to university is "brainwashed" or "indoctrinated".  I expect half this message board went to university, and none of us would consider ourselves "brainwashed" or "indoctrinated".

I don't think anyone would disagree that universities are an environment which is "left-leaning" - but give those who attend a bit of credit for sufficient independent critical thinking to avoid being "brainwashed"...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The demand for university all boils down to the demand the good employers demand for degrees......there is more to gaining and fitting into the right job with prospects than a piece of paper, it is only a part of it.....other tests and interview questions can be more, should be and are more weighted. ;)

HOLA4414

The demand for university all boils down to the demand the good employers demand for degrees......there is more to gaining and fitting into the right job with prospects than a piece of paper, it is only a part of it.....other tests and interview questions can be more, should be and are more weighted. ;)

Degrees are simply there as an easy way of filtering people out at the CV stage. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Degrees are for intellectual development and critical thinking and not merely for the convenience of potential employers.

Not to mention for learning actual useful stuff too!  I still use things I learned at university regularly in my work, as do no doubt a large number of doctors, dentists, architects, engineers, scientists, teachers etc etc

HOLA4417

Degrees are for intellectual development and critical thinking and not merely for the convenience of potential employers.

I think you mean, that is what they -should- be for.

I think what they are actually for is to get young people out of the way so they're not unemployed and making a nuisance of themselves, and also to get them loaded up with private debt so as to increase the amount of debt in the system without the Government needing to borrow it.

HOLA4418

Sadly  in a bad recession, ( which this soon will be), the only thing that gets someone a job (who is just starting out) is personal connections. 

Who you know, not what you know ( as the old saying went). 

Degree holders are looking at 3 years on the dole, most of them ( I'd say)  

It's  depression

HOLA4419

"Go to University, everyone does"

"But it's a global pandemic, won't my experience be affected? Why don't I just wait until it makes more sense to go?"

"No it'll be OK, please pay us 10s of thousands of pounds and be a good sheep"

"OK"

"Buy a house, everyone does"

"But it's a global pandemic, won't prices be affected? Why don't I just wait until it makes more sense to buy?"

"No it'll be OK, please pay us 100s of thousands of pounds and be a good sheep"

"OK"

HOLA4420

I would be in favour of the first year of university being taught entirely online and at a distance whenever possible.

Generally speaking you can split universities into those that are mainly teaching based and those that are research based. Physically attending the latter is worth its weight in gold imho.

It didn't work out for me, I became quite sick but not getting involved in research is one of the things I regret the most. There's nothing quite like doing lab work for people actually involved in the research you're interested in and you can't really do that at a distance I'm afraid.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA4421

Why not just pay to have an operation to have a Tesla Nural-link installed and then a-la Matrix, just download anything you want expert PHD knowledge in.................. connnect.......bbbrrrrrrrrrrr.................."I know Political Science" , "****" ,"i wanted kung-foo" . 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
7 hours ago, winkie said:

The demand for university all boils down to the demand the good employers demand for degrees

Which employers and which degrees? Graduates from elite universities (Oxford, Cambridge and perhaps a few other very selective ones, like LSE) have good prospects regardless of degree (they will have developed transferable skills and demonstrated intelligence and other desirable qualities just by being admitted). Graduates in fairly high demand subjects at Russell Group universities will also be in quite high demand. Graduates in some high demand subjects some other subjects will do OK from lower ranked universities, especially if they excel. 

That probably leaves a majority who won't be in much demand as a result of a combination of one or more of 

1) studying a non-marketable degree

2) studying at a low ranked university

3) getting a poor degree classification

I think most of these people think they will enjoy going to university and boosting their income is a relatively distant concern.

HOLA4425
12 minutes ago, Will! said:

I didn't study humanities, so I'm not sure, but I think studying film is approached the same way as literature or art. People can think critically about film in just the same way they think critically about literature, paintings, music etc.

A better example of subjects which encourage people not to think critically might be the so called "grievance studies"