House Price Crash Forum

‘It's like an open prison’: the catastrophe of converting office blocks to homes

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/housing-crisis-planning-converting-office-blocks-homes-catastrophe-jenrick

A policy designed to open up the planning system has left thousands in tiny flats, far from schools and shops. And with more deregulation coming, things will get worse

What's the alternative: commercial? Hopeless for a couple of years at least.  

The one advantage of a converted commercial property is that ( unlike new builds) it might be solidly built. 

Plus if things get bad, they might make the individual  flats bigger.

Commercial buildings aren't built to support a Residential footprint.  Anyone who's been in an office with a blocked toilet knows the entire floor gets shafted.  Never mind ventilation, fire suppression,  power loads.

The whole 'convert office for the plebs' suits the Daily Fail brigade who whine about  'feckless oiks and dirty immigrants getting free houses...' (yet are quite happy to claim their right to buy council house and heap on every Government housing prop they can).  It also Commercial Landlords look healthy.

There are people who look after office buildings too by living in them for a nominal fee as long as they're ready to pack up quickly.

If my health wasn't such an issue and I was a lot younger I'd be all over that. Especially if you could get gig economy work like Uber Eats, Deliverooo etc. Would be a bohemian lifestyle, you could busk and write music. It won't look great on the C.V. but would be a fun gap year as long as you got to move about a bit.

Edited by spacedin

As long as there is demand for this sort of housing there is nothing to be moaning about.

It is better to concentrate on other issues such as why there is demand for low quality housing and why people are ready to pay outrageous prices for it.

Commercial buildings aren't built to support a Residential footprint.  Anyone who's been in an office with a blocked toilet knows the entire floor gets shafted.  Never mind ventilation, fire suppression,  power loads.

The whole 'convert office for the plebs' suits the Daily Fail brigade who whine about  'feckless oiks and dirty immigrants getting free houses...' (yet are quite happy to claim their right to buy council house and heap on every Government housing prop they can).  It also Commercial Landlords look healthy.

My delivery office is full of these types. In their mid-fifties, thinking they've made it cos Maggie sold them their 2 up 2 down for 20k and they've traded up to large 4 bed semis on the back of their unearned gains. And they claim the NHS is failing and house prices have shot up because 'there's too many immigrants.' 

Oh, and without exception they all voted brexit and Boris. 

11 hours ago, Postman said:

My delivery office is full of these types. In their mid-fifties, thinking they've made it cos Maggie sold them their 2 up 2 down for 20k and they've traded up to large 4 bed semis on the back of their unearned gains. And they claim the NHS is failing and house prices have shot up because 'there's too many immigrants.' 

Oh, and without exception they all voted brexit and Boris. 

Thank you Pat. Did the privatization benefit these same people when RM was sold on the market?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/27/housing-crisis-planning-converting-office-blocks-homes-catastrophe-jenrick

A policy designed to open up the planning system has left thousands in tiny flats, far from schools and shops. And with more deregulation coming, things will get worse

How has this policy "left them there"? Were they there before? How did they get there? Why can't they leave?

How has this policy "left them there"? Were they there before? How did they get there? Why can't they leave?

Cheapest properties on the market so the very poorest* end up there.

* these are usually those who play by the rules of social security rather than those who have been told how to play and milk the system.

48 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

I presume they are picked up bodily, shoved in and the door welded shut after them.

24 minutes ago, Houdini said:

Cheapest properties on the market so the very poorest* end up there.

* these are usually those who play by the rules of social security rather than those who have been told how to play and milk the system.

Ok, so how about think on this...where would they be if this shitty accommodation hadn't been built?

I used to live in a purpose built block of flats a friend of mine used to live in a former office block and I would say it was better quality but smaller.

It can work - of course they have to have a bigger minimum size - but that should go without saying.

In the interests of balance, a friend of mine bought a converted office block flat in Croydon some years back. Two-bed, nice size living room - overall pretty good.

It did not seem to be any different to any other block of flats.

As long as there is demand for this sort of housing there is nothing to be moaning about.

Exactly - no one is forced to buy any property

'feckless oiks and dirty immigrants getting free houses...'

But they do - have you tried to get social housing > If you work and do not have kids you have zero chance

1 hour ago, richmondtw said:

But they do - have you tried to get social housing > If you work and do not have kids you have zero chance

Very true about social housing.  I know people who have got off the plane from Spain and got flats in central London.

Very true about social housing.  I know people who have got off the plane from Spain and got flats in central London.

typical giving to the rich spanish what about people who work and need it but nope! just because some slick backed hair greaser comes along with his 4 rings he will give you in return for a free lift to the local chippy

typical giving to the rich spanish what about people who work and need it but nope! just because some slick backed hair greaser comes along with his 4 rings he will give you in return for a free lift to the local chippy

She wasn't rich she just managed to persuade the local council to do this.

One of the most disgusting things ever. Look at Harlow.

Nye Bevan must be livid.

Would Nye have signed off on Blair's Open Door immigration policy? If yes, he cant complain about housing pressure.

I read the whole article. Not sure I have an answer. Many of those quoted were on the streets or out of prison - at least they get a warm room here.

"a BBC Panorama programme reported on mothers and children living in tiny studio flats, "

I wonder if the BBC would let these poor residents off the BBC licence fee? (Answer No)

16 minutes ago, dryrot said:

Would Nye have signed off on Blair's Open Door immigration policy? If yes, he cant complain about housing pressure.

I read the whole article. Not sure I have an answer. Many of those quoted were on the streets or out of prison - at least they get a warm room here.

"a BBC Panorama programme reported on mothers and children living in tiny studio flats, "

I wonder if the BBC would let these poor residents off the BBC licence fee? (Answer No)

Interesting question about Nye Bevan and housing and immigration.