• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

what I don't understand is why didnt the government take this as an opportunity to introduce a complete review of the benefit system and move everyone to a UBI. They've had since March to review it and change. 

1- people who don't get furlough don't feel left out

2- people on "normal" benefits dont feel left out

3- people who continue working don't feel left out

4- get rid of the entire means testing nonsense and admin

5- get rid of the tax free band for income tax

6- get rid of housing benefit and all the other "stealth" benefits.

7- roll the state pension into UBI

Edited by hayder

HOLA448
HOLA449

what I don't understand is why didnt the government take this as an opportunity to introduce a complete review of the benefit system and move everyone to a UBI. They've had since March to review it and change. 

3- get rid of the entire means testing nonsense and admin

4- get rid of the tax free band for income tax

Vast cost if set at anything like furlough.

If way less than furlough doesn't solve the my business has been shut by SAGE sorry government and therefore i cant pay my bills. 

HOLA4410

3- get rid of the entire means testing nonsense and admin

4- get rid of the tax free band for income tax

UBI isn't acceptable as it "pays people not to work"..........oh wait...........that's what we're doing already.

HOLA4411

Vast cost if set at anything like furlough.

If way less than furlough doesn't solve the my business has been shut by SAGE sorry government and therefore i cant pay my bills. 

Of course it would be much lower than furlough. 

This is about helping workers / self employed who are harmed. Its not about corporate support.

HOLA4412

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-first-arrests-made-over-alleged-fraud-linked-to-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme-12123492

For all those thinking Rishi was dishing out free money - it always comes with conditions.

Note it is HMRC not the NCA doing the investigations.  One thing I've learned is you play HMRC with a straight bat or you are ****'ed

6 people?

Are we at £5billion direct to organised crime or £8billion - truth is we dont know until March 2021 at the earliest the total.

Edited by captainb

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

UBI isn't acceptable as it "pays people not to work"..........oh wait...........that's what we're doing already.

all children

all pensioners

all the "disabled" adults

all the "16hr tax credit" types

all the furlough schemers

all the ones in ******** jobs which really should be eliminated

a vast number of people don't work. this is a positive outcome of being an advanced society that can produce surpluses in necessities with tiny amounts of labour.  

Let the proles live.

HOLA4415

Furlough forever, what was it Sunak saying some months back about not being able to save every single job? Seems they just can't let it go. Astounding for a Conservative government. This also echoes my thoughts that next year is a write off; wait for the inevitable extension to sometime in summer 2021.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Furlough forever, what was it Sunak saying some months back about not being able to save every single job? Seems they just can't let it go. Astounding for a Conservative government. This also echoes my thoughts that next year is a write off; wait for the inevitable extension to sometime in summer 2021.

The county will never pay this debt off as the furlough will end up costing £500 billion of more.

Hilarious how a Tory government has done a better job of destroying the country than Corbyn ever could.

HOLA4419

it will have 0 workers. 

and UBI won't care either way. 

If the business served a useful purpose, someone else will come along and make a better alternative.

So extend the logic - why ever work....

Your option of setting UBI at a level that is so low it forces people to work, is fine, but doesnt work as a solution for furlough where millions of businesses and their employees by extension have been temporarily forced shut by SAGE. The "better alternative" is a misnomer. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

it will have 0 workers. 

and UBI won't care either way. 

If the business served a useful purpose, someone else will come along and make a better alternative.

Agree, they might as well just pay everyone now as it's becoming anoying for the many who have worked the whole way through since March watching others sit around drinking wine all day, financed by the state.

HOLA4422

So extend the logic - why ever work....

Your option of setting UBI at a level that is so low it forces people to work, is fine, but doesnt work as a solution for furlough where millions of businesses and their employees by extension have been temporarily forced shut by SAGE. The "better alternative" is a misnomer. 

how about people re-learn the novel, revolutionary idea of having savings set aside for a rainy day? 

what an infantile society we live in. You see it daily. on facebook and everywhere else. adults in their masses screaming for the "government to wipe their asses". sad.

Edited by hayder

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

how about people re-learn the novel, revolutionary idea of having savings set aside for a rainy day? 

what an infantile society we live in.

Ah... let them eat cake?

The millions who are set aside on the CV19 scrapheap have a strong correlation of being young and on minimum wage.. bar staff etc etc. Also not of any more risk of CV19 than driving.

Of course those earning £7 an hour have enough savings to last 5 or 6 months of unemployment...

Those making the decisions to do that, have a strong correlation of public sector and no risk whatsoever to their own income or employment status but a risk of CV19. Funny that.

Edited by captainb

HOLA4425

Ah... let them eat cake?

The millions who are set aside on the CV19 scrapheap have a strong correlation of being on young and minimum wage.. bar staff etc etc. Also not of any more risk of CV19 than driving.

Of course those earning £7 an hour have enough savings to last 5 or 6 months of unemployment...

That's why they should have a UBI. paid for mostly from the wages of people on higher salaries. That would help tide them over this period. 

"furlough" is just a duct tape solution.