House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

All Property Is Theft

According to Radio 4 today, a high proportion of people in key positions within government and the institutions were Marxists in the 60s and 70s. The advance of political correctness is one manifestation of this development. Apparantly, Marxist principles are even creeping into the doctrine of the Conservative party.

Marxism promotes common ownership and perhaps we are already seeing the private housing stock being taken over by stealth. Council tax is now so large it looks like rent. Local authorities control more and more aspects of how properties are maintained or modified. Local valuation officers can barge in at any time they like. A home owner can hardly feel like he really owns his property any more.

According to Radio 4 today, a high proportion of people in key positions within government and the institutions were Marxists in the 60s and 70s. The advance of political correctness is one manifestation of this development. Apparantly, Marxist principles are even creeping into the doctrine of the Conservative party.

Marxism promotes common ownership and perhaps we are already seeing the private housing stock being taken over by stealth. Council tax is now so large it looks like rent. Local authorities control more and more aspects of how properties are maintained or modified. Local valuation officers can barge in at any time they like. A home owner can hardly feel like he really owns his property any more.

They don't own their homes any more..

They have loans of 8 times their salary on an Interest Only repayment vehicle..

Trust me..

Stop paying rent and you are in a better position to stay in your home legally then if you stopped paying your mortgage.. and looking at selling speeds and prices.. Can't be in negative equity in your rental..

Rental, its like buying.. with more flexability and less risks..

Unless you are paying of your mortgage....

anyone still doing that..? out there? anyone...?

BBC4 tonight:

Lefties

Vanessa Engle's series about the 1970s and 1980s, when the extreme Left was a political force in Britain.

1/3. Property Is Theft

The first episode focuses on Villa Road, a squatted street in Brixton. Here, left-wing idealists lived out their lives fully, to the cause they believed in: collective action and communal living. [AD,S]

Wed 8 Feb, 21:00-22:00 60mins Stereo Widescreen

Council tax is now so large it looks like rent. Local authorities control more and more aspects of how properties are maintained or modified. Local valuation officers can barge in at any time they like. A home owner can hardly feel like he really owns his property any more.

I agree. It is possible that with dwindling council house supply they are losing rental income, and they need to jack up council tax on OOs to pay expensive consultants who are hired to 'restructure the business model'.

At a deeper level, I find it interesting that a large number of people here (including me) would actually want to buy if they could, whereas large parts of Europe just rent the whole time. Also, in extreme places, aboriginal cultures have no concept of property anyway - so what is it about UK that makes us so desperate to own?

First off, I would say it is a social convention which helps under-pin our legal system and virtually every facet of daily life. Second, I would say it is also a defense mechanism. I think we are in the age of the scam: ranging from the most wealthy few stealing half of Scotland, down to regular fraud on the highstreet, and of course we can't forget EAs trying to inflate asset bubbles for their own selfish ends. In a way owning some bricks helps keep the threat at bay.

At a deeper level, I find it interesting that a large number of people here (including me) would actually want to buy if they could, whereas large parts of Europe just rent the whole time.

Sigh.

Most of Europe not only gets nice places at low rents compared to the UK, they also have huge swathes of tenant protection legislation that we don't. Why is this so hard to understand?

Sigh.

Most of Europe not only gets nice places at low rents compared to the UK, they also have huge swathes of tenant protection legislation that we don't. Why is this so hard to understand?

Thanks for clarifying the legal aspect. Guilty as charged; I don't have Europeam law at my finger tips.

In the absense of such legal rights, the desperation to own property in the UK is still a defense mechanism?

I agree. It is possible that with dwindling council house supply they are losing rental income, and they need to jack up council tax on OOs to pay expensive consultants who are hired to 'restructure the business model'.

rent is ringfenced from other bits of the council.

Stop paying rent and you are in a better position to stay in your home legally then if you stopped paying your mortgage...

In legal terms, is this definitely true?

Great argument to use if it is

SNIP

1/3. Property Is Theft

The first episode focuses on Villa Road, a squatted street in Brixton. Here, left-wing idealists lived out their lives fully, to the cause they believed in: collective action and communal living. [AD,S]

SNIP

I always thought that Proudhon was an anarchist rather than a communist.