House Price Crash Forum

I've been monitoring sales in my local area, and noticed on right move that there are 22 houses built around a green which share 6 parking parking spaces. These are from the 1970s, so certainly not a new "eco" development. The result is our street also has to absorb the extra cars from the 22 houses! To make it worse, our street is 2 bed terraces, each with approx one car's worth of kerbside out front - and most of them are 2 car households too.

I've attached picture - all the houses in view share the 6 spaces inside the red box!

I noticed one of the 22 houses struggling to sell (despite being nice enough inside and sensible price. I realised anyone coming to view would need to park a long way down the street, and would soon realise the insane lack of parking 

parking.PNG

Edited by Sausage
1 minute ago, Sausage said:

I've been monitoring sales in my local area, and noticed on right move that there are 22 houses built around a green which share 6 parking parking spaces. These are from the 1970s, so certainly not a new "eco" development. The result is our street also has to absorb the extra cars from the 22 houses! To make it worse, our street is 2 bed terraces, each with approx one car's worth of kerbside out front - and most of them are 2 car households too.

I've attached picture - all the houses in view share the 6 spaces inside the red box!

parking.PNG

But they're selling to city workers who all ride bikes and don't need cars! It such ******** isn't it. My parents place  is 1930s mix of semis and terrace that when growing up as kids we had most of the end of the street to play football and build bike jumps in. Now the pub that was next to us was knocked down and they built 2 blocks of flats so now we struggle to park anywhere.  Also a house that my friend has rented a room in for 10 years has been bought by developers along with the houses either side, all with quite big back gardens and are end of the street. Developers put in planning for 62 flats with 3 parking spaces!!! It's madness and thankfully been rejected but how long until its approved?

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

parking.PNG

I used to live near one of these (I thought a mate actually lived in one of the places in this pic as well) and had to check it wasn't exactly the same. It isn't, but the parking is insane in both from what I remember. A visit to the house could result in a 2 minute walk after parking.

Back gardens facing the road and front gardens facing pathways. Not a fan of that at all.

5 hours ago, Sausage said:

I noticed one of the 22 houses struggling to sell (despite being nice enough inside and sensible price. I realised anyone coming to view would need to park a long way down the street, and would soon realise the insane lack of parking 

parking.PNG

Aren't those garages in the bottom left-hand corner?

Why do we go along with the assumption that people have the right to store private property on public land? 

I'm not allowed to go and store old furniture on the kerb outside my house - but I am allowed to store an old van full of junk. Why? 

If councils charged anything close to market value for parking permits it would solve the issue as developers would be forced to provide suitable provision if they wanted to sell.  Instead they can just cram in more houses rather than provide driveways and push the cost onto the public realm. 

In Japan there is no on street parking and you actually have to show proof that you have off road storage when purchasing a car 

2 hours ago, Wayward said:

Looks like it. and top right.

There's about 50 garages in my "block" including those belonging to the "22" houses without parking. I'm at my garage daily and literally only 2 of them are used for vehicle storage.

9 hours ago, Upabove said:

Why do we go along with the assumption that people have the right to store private property on public land? 

I'm not allowed to go and store old furniture on the kerb outside my house - but I am allowed to store an old van full of junk. Why? 

If councils charged anything close to market value for parking permits it would solve the issue as developers would be forced to provide suitable provision if they wanted to sell.  Instead they can just cram in more houses rather than provide driveways and push the cost onto the public realm. 

In Japan there is no on street parking and you actually have to show proof that you have off road storage when purchasing a car 

That's an interesting view, had not considered it before. I lean toward agreeing.

4 hours ago, NobodyInParticular said:

Huge tracts of land for parking there compared to parking outside lots of terraced houses I see in Victorian streets.

I'd say they're on a par: the 2 bed 70s terraces are rather narrow, and seem very similar to the Victorian terraces just up the road. Both lead to congested roads especially as most houses have 2 cars.

1 minute ago, Sausage said:

I'd say they're on a par: the 2 bed 70s terraces are rather narrow, and seem very similar to the Victorian terraces just up the road. Both lead to congested roads especially as most houses have 2 cars.

On the way to the station where I live there are some Victorian terraces. There's barely enough space to walk between each car parked in front of the houses. It's beyond my parking skills to get cars that close unless they are ones that can turn their wheels sideways.

10 hours ago, Upabove said:

Would love if we could stop people buying cars unless you had a survey done on the width of your house (generally allowing for one car per house-hold) and any additional cars must be parked off-road at your house or have a designated parking spot somewhere.

I live on a road where one family takes us four houses worth of parking. Thankfully I have plenty of off-road parking but I have taken to parking in front of my house also as I have noticed this particular house keeps getting cars to fill what spaces there are unless you take up the spaces yourself. At one point it seems me parking on the road caused them to actually get their abandoned cars towed away as it was finally causing them enough pain parking. 

would love for sensible parking to come back. But this is also a sign of the housing crisis, the old chavvy boomer couple had loads of money to extend their house buy various cars etc, but there feckless chav kids (who are as Chavy and thick as their parents) are finding themselves not thrown a wall of money like this boomer parents, so suddenly the old boomer couple has to have several generations also living in their house. 

thankfully I was sensible to be able to walk to work in 10 minutes door to door, so I’m winning ‘parking wars’ and I have noticed several other houses have started to keep spaces on the road with their own permanently situated vehicles, all because one house tries to take up half the road. 

11 hours ago, Upabove said:

I also thought of Japan when I saw your first post. It makes total sense.

I think that most modern houses in the UK are built with a parking space, but older houses were not. When my house was built, I doubt anyone thought that the residents would one day own a car. And when the house I grew up in was built, cars didn't exist. 

In Japan houses normally have a 30-year life span and then get rebuilt, so it has been easy to accommodate the car age. Quite often the garage or porch makes up a large portion of the ground floor and living space is more frequent on upper floors.

The Japanese system sounds best. But for "legacy" housing where there is not the provision for off-road parking, then organising a residents permit system (and policing it) would work quite well here I would think. I have a friend in a small terrace in a city that has a residents permit system - always easy to park there (they have to buy a temporary visitors permit from the council for me to use)

Some kind of enforcement in this OP case would also get people to empty those garages of junk and put their cars in them!

1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

Would love if we could stop people buying cars unless you had a survey done on the width of your house

A problem caused by government intervention (planning permission and road construction) is not going to be solved by more government intervention.

The developers do this, because people are still willing to pay for these ishtty flats with no parking. Planning permission is clearly already failing to stop them, so dreaming about more government strong arming solving the problem is exactly that - a dream. 

If planning permission were abolished (remember, it is already failingto stop this) and people could build their own houses presumably with sufficient parking, the developers doing this would lose a huge amount of their pricing power.

In the 70's a lot of people didn't have cars. And the poorer you were, the less likely you were to have one.

Since those are small houses, they are for poor people who wouldn't be expected to have cars.

In 2100 when nobody has cars and just teleports from one place to another, everyone will be wondering why 2020 houses have so much parking space.

The housing estate I currently live on is like that (built 1968-69).

There are quite a few 'en bloc' garages to get the cars off the road but very few rent them. Around £35 a month for council tenants or the same sum plus VAT for private residents. Very few are rented out.I did rent one of the garages when I first moved in for a year but the opening was still tight for my 10+ year old car, ended up damaging my mirrors so handed the keys back.

1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

In the 70's a lot of people didn't have cars. And the poorer you were, the less likely you were to have one.

Since those are small houses, they are for poor people who wouldn't be expected to have cars.

In 2100 when nobody has cars and just teleports from one place to another, everyone will be wondering why 2020 houses have so much parking space.

It was pointed out above that there are garages, even if they're too small for modern cars. A lot of people didn't have cars in the 70s but more did than didn't, it reached 50% around 1970 and was rising rapidly.

For all the parking hassles and other issues thank heavens we've not been so keen to ditch our old housing as some other countries, at least there's a chance of getting to live somewhere with more character than a ping pong ball.

23 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

It was pointed out above that there are garages, even if they're too small for modern cars. A lot of people didn't have cars in the 70s but more did than didn't, it reached 50% around 1970 and was rising rapidly.

For all the parking hassles and other issues thank heavens we've not been so keen to ditch our old housing as some other countries, at least there's a chance of getting to live somewhere with more character than a ping pong ball.

On the other hand, we now have an even bigger job than most other countries bringing all these houses up to modern energy efficiency standards. 

58 minutes ago, MattW said:

The housing estate I currently live on is like that (built 1968-69).

There are quite a few 'en bloc' garages to get the cars off the road but very few rent them. Around £35 a month for council tenants or the same sum plus VAT for private residents. Very few are rented out.I did rent one of the garages when I first moved in for a year but the opening was still tight for my 10+ year old car, ended up damaging my mirrors so handed the keys back.

Unless you have a classic car there is not much reason to put a car in a Garage anymore. they would probably do better to knock down the block and replace it with a mix of secure storage units and allocated parking spaces.  

1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Its a strange mindset isn't it? buying a house and expecting space to appear outside it for whatever mode of transport the home owner desires.