House Price Crash Forum

Sir Graham Brady accuses Boris Johnson of 'ruling by decree'

Warlord

HOLA441

Yep they're imposing lockdowns and curfews which is totally out of order. Hopefully this rebellion picks up steam.

Email your MP we need to make it clear to them! 

Sadly I think you misunderstand the level of support for authoritarianism in the public. It's less than it was a few months ago but it's a long way from insignificant - those who have wondered how various historical examples of it came about just have to look around now to see how easily people can be scared into throwing things away for a bit of perceived comfort.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

those who have wondered how various historical examples of it came about just have to look around now to see how easily people can be scared into throwing things away for a bit of perceived comfort.

I think it proves the lack of critical thinking in our society. The sheer volume of people who take what the government tell them as gospel is chilling in my view.

HOLA443

Introducing further Covid restrictions without Parliament's direct approval would "not be acceptable", a group of senior MPs has told Boris Johnson.

The Commons Liaison Committee says it is concerned about the continued use of emergency powers to curb freedoms.

The government is already under pressure from some Tory MPs, who want to be given a vote before any new national measures are brought in.

Ministers say they are trying to protect lives amid rising infections.

Local lockdowns and tighter restrictions have often been imposed at the request of local leaders.

Sir Graham Brady, the chair of the powerful 1922 committee of backbench Conservative MPs, has been holding talks with Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg over a possible "compromise" on Parliamentary oversight, ahead of a debate on the government's coronavirus powers later.

BBC Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg said no resolution had been reached between the government and the Tory rebels on Tuesday night.

But a further meeting between Conservative MP Steve Baker, a critic of the government's approach, and Chief Whip Mark Spencer is due to take place on Wednesday, she added.

BBC Newsnight political editor Nick Watt said it looked as though progress was being made towards an agreement that would allow MPs to vote on new restrictions outside of an emergency.

He said MPs could possibly be given a retrospective vote after any new national restrictions were introduced.

"What that would mean is that restrictions would be made into law by a minister, but then you would set a future commencement date - and in between those two dates, MPs would have a vote," he said.

The government is facing growing calls for more Parliamentary scrutiny of its Covid policies, amid concerns that recent interventions, such as the "rule of six" limit on social gatherings, the 22:00 BST closing time for pubs and local restrictions in the North East, have been announced with a few hours' notice and without being considered by MPs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54346784

HOLA444

I think it proves the lack of critical thinking in our society. The sheer volume of people who take what the government tell them as gospel is chilling in my view.

Critical thinking rarely ends well.

Very few of us have understanding of evolution, but we trust people telling us it is true. If we think critically, we will realise we are just trusing people and could end falling for any nonsense.

People who think critically about climate change realise it does not make sense to them. That does not actually stop it getting hotter.

Critical thinking is highly over-rated.

HOLA445

Critical thinking rarely ends well.

Very few of us have understanding of evolution, but we trust people telling us it is true. If we think critically, we will realise we are just trusing people and could end falling for any nonsense.

People who think critically about climate change realise it does not make sense to them. That does not actually stop it getting hotter.

Critical thinking is highly over-rated.

It's critical thinking that leads to scientific discoveries. It's critical thinking that lets you distinguish between what looks like actually is the case compared with just going with saying what's true is whatever feels right to you. Critical thinking does not reject those examples - it certainly doesn't preclude recognising when your knowledge is too incomplete to make your own decision either. Without it people also seem very poor at accepting probability - look how many reject something they don't like because there's 100% proof (which there never is of anything). Without it is how you end up with people latching on to anything that happens to agree with them, no matter how much nonsense it contains (or tarring things they don't agree with with the same brush because someone's written some nonsense that happens to agree with it).

There are lots of people who aren't any good at critical thinking though, and come to weird conclusions whilst claiming that's what they're doing.

What's the more reliable alternative?

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA446

It's critical thinking that leads to scientific discoveries.

Bit more here on the work they are doing combining Covid-19 with Anthrax.....

https://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/engineering-contagion-upmc-corona-thrax-darkest-winter/

If they manage to do that then I guess they might "accidentally" release it into the word as an "exercise" to see how the world could cope with such a thing in order to "find out how to be prepared" (not many people would believe they'd do something like that, which makes it easier to do).

With a mortality rate up to 97% it's the gift that keeps on giving. You don't need to work as hard convince people about your new normal of compulsory bio security, regular testing, 24/7 surveillance, telecom network tracking your every move, severe punishments, compulsory detainment, removal of family members, secret detainment facilities, compulsory vaccines, children owned by the state etc.

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA447
HOLA448

How much pain will the government and general populace be willing to take when it comes to Covid. How much fear has to be induced for what is evidently an overhyped issue?

I.e, when unemployment is 25% and people are in relative poverty, does everyone say, enough is enough, let's get back to normal? Are we facing the prospect of 5 years of our lives being written off? Everything points to 2021 being written off at present so why stop there!

HOLA449

It's critical thinking that leads to scientific discoveries. It's critical thinking that lets you distinguish between what looks like actually is the case compared with just going with saying what's true is whatever feels right to you. Critical thinking does not reject those examples - it certainly doesn't preclude recognising when your knowledge is too incomplete to make your own decision either. Without it people also seem very poor at accepting probability - look how many reject something they don't like because there's 100% proof (which there never is of anything). Without it is how you end up with people latching on to anything that happens to agree with them, no matter how much nonsense it contains (or tarring things they don't agree with with the same brush because someone's written some nonsense that happens to agree with it).

There are lots of people who aren't any good at critical thinking though, and come to weird conclusions whilst claiming that's what they're doing.

What's the more reliable alternative?

Critical thinking combined with self-awareness and self-criticism, as well as peer review and academic discipline.

Critical thinking without that produces the sort of posts we get from @Arpeggio.

HOLA4410

Critical thinking combined with self-awareness and self-criticism, as well as peer review and academic discipline.

Critical thinking without that produces the sort of posts we get from @Arpeggio.

OK so what are you referring to? Are you saying that the link I posted is false and they aren't really working on combining corona virus with Anthrax?

https://2f7nhsvfj5dyz0312njuuj14-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/UPitt-IBC-Minutes-from-July-2019-to-June-20201_Redacted.pdf

Last page:

"This is an amendment to add Bacillus anthracis strains expressing SARS-CoV-2 Spikeprotein"

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA4411

6 cases per 100,000 people here in West Somerset. We've only had 47 COVID-related deaths since March. One person every four days, yet I have to wear a muzzle to buy a pint of milk. 

I do not trust this government one jot, I do not believe one single word that comes out of Johnson's gob, and the restrictions placed on people's everyday lives coupled with the economic destruction have been an absolute disgrace.

The agenda here, without a shadow of a doubt is seeing just how much tyranny people will tolerate, and it is a frightening amount. Just conjure up a figure like 50k/month, tell them that if they meet their friends in a pub they'll kill granny, and the stupid bastards lap it up.

I believe each and every one of us has already lived under the most freedom we will ever know.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I do not trust this government one jot, I do not believe one single word that comes out of Johnson's gob, and the restrictions placed on people's everyday lives coupled with the economic destruction have been an absolute disgrace.

Great post. The cure is worse than the disease and their STILL pursuing local lockdowns in Wales and the North East.

It's a f**king joke! 

HOLA4414

I'd call self-awareness and self-criticism in as a fundamental part of critical thinking, without them someone isn't very good at critical thinking.

It needs to be taught in schools. It was, to a degree, when I was at school, although only as part of something else. In this case it was history, which when I was  doing my GCSEs was 20th century history, so lots of newspaper reports and radio transcripts and so on, from various sources, and having to pick through them to put together a picture of what actually happened. At the time it wasn't all that obvious that that was just as worthwhile learning as any historical knowledge picked up.

Unfortunately it wasn't a compulsory subject (had to choose between history and geography, although some of us did both).

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4415

Good point....even the ones who give the guidance, make the rules, tell the story, provide the information don't always believe in what they are saying......they themselves don't practice what they preach.;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

OK so what are you referring to? Are you saying that the link I posted is false and they aren't really working on combining corona virus with Anthrax?

https://2f7nhsvfj5dyz0312njuuj14-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/UPitt-IBC-Minutes-from-July-2019-to-June-20201_Redacted.pdf

Last page:

"This is an amendment to add Bacillus anthracis strains expressing SARS-CoV-2 Spikeprotein"

I am actually a scientist. You are a moron. You know how to post links, it does not mean you understand them.

HOLA4418

I'd call self-awareness and self-criticism in as a fundamental part of critical thinking, without them someone isn't very good at critical thinking.

It needs to be taught in schools. It was, to a degree, when I was at school, although only as part of something else. In this case it was history, which when I was  doing my GCSEs was 20th century history, so lots of newspaper reports and radio transcripts and so on, from various sources, and having to pick through them to put together a picture of what actually happened. At the time it wasn't all that obvious that that was just as worthwhile learning as any historical knowledge picked up.

Unfortunately it wasn't a compulsory subject (had to choose between history and geography, although some of us did both).

I was born in 1976, I cannot recall it being taught as a subject in itself. I recall those exercises though, I enjoyed them.

The self-awareness aspect is the difficult part and I see very few people in life capable of it. In the brexit debate, we can largely predict which side people will take by how they see the modern world treating them compared to how they think they deserve. Very few people see themselves caught up in this.

The dangerous thing is when people think they are rational, to deny their own shadow in Jungian terms.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I am actually a scientist. You are a moron. You know how to post links, it does not mean you understand them.

Great. Then you can explain how, as revealed in an FOIA request to the University of Pittsburgh, they aren't really putting the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, which allows the virus to gain entry into human cells, into Bacillus anthracis which is the causative agent of anthrax.

The name calling is fine, I accept it as part of your personality.

HOLA4421

Great. Then you can explain how, as revealed in an FOIA request to the University of Pittsburgh, they aren't really putting the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, which allows the virus to gain entry into human cells, into Bacillus anthracis which is the causative agent of anthrax.

The name calling is fine, I accept it as part of your personality.

All I see is a pdf from anywhere.

I would suggest asking people who specifically know about this and not relying on your comspiracy theory loving tin-foil hat loving friends.

I am actually rather polite.

But, you being an idiot is really on you.

HOLA4422
On 9/30/2020 at 12:53 PM, Arpeggio said:

Bit more here on the work they are doing combining Covid-19 with Anthrax.....

https://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com/engineering-contagion-upmc-corona-thrax-darkest-winter/

If they manage to do that then I guess they might "accidentally" release it into the word as an "exercise" to see how the world could cope with such a thing in order to "find out how to be prepared" (not many people would believe they'd do something like that, which makes it easier to do).

With a mortality rate up to 97% it's the gift that keeps on giving. You don't need to work as hard convince people about your new normal of compulsory bio security, regular testing, 24/7 surveillance, telecom network tracking your every move, severe punishments, compulsory detainment, removal of family members, secret detainment facilities, compulsory vaccines, children owned by the state etc.

Combining in what sense? One is a virus, one is a bacterium. Whilst viral action can insert DNA into chains, and has happened, just inserting some elements of COVID-19 into anthrax wouldn't mean that they were ever expressed - a significant amount of our DNA is 'junk' DNA which isn't ever directly expressed and at best helps some forms of protein folding just by having the extra length between sections.

I am not going to click on the link, though, as it's likely to be more conspiracy nonsense on a website with 1998-style design choices that will hurt my eyes.

HOLA4423
11 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I used to be one too, and some of my work was in bioinformatics... And whilst you could graft some DNA for protein expression into anthrax it doesn't necessarily do anything to make anthrax more infectious as just producing a protein doesn't mean the cell can do anything with it. However, they might be using this as a way to produce the protein to allow it to be used in a vaccine which makes much more sense. Insertion of DNA to code for proteins has been done many times before, and can lead to production of it. However, you can't just splice in some DNA and assume the protein for it will be actually produced. For example, as noted above, human DNA has DNA sections that in theory code for all sorts of protein but there is no pathway in the cell to actually have the protein generated (junk DNA).

HOLA4424

I used to be one too, and some of my work was in bioinformatics... And whilst you could graft some DNA for protein expression into anthrax it doesn't necessarily do anything to make anthrax more infectious as just producing a protein doesn't mean the cell can do anything with it. However, they might be using this as a way to produce the protein to allow it to be used in a vaccine which makes much more sense. Insertion of DNA to code for proteins has been done many times before, and can lead to production of it. However, you can't just splice in some DNA and assume the protein for it will be actually produced. For example, as noted above, human DNA has DNA sections that in theory code for all sorts of protein but there is no pathway in the cell to actually have the protein generated (junk DNA).

Indeed. It is just a few scary words. I am not sure why they would use anthrax, but at least we are aware we do not know. Idiots think they are.

HOLA4425