House Price Crash Forum

Sir Graham Brady accuses Boris Johnson of 'ruling by decree'

Hope the mods don't mind a politics thread but this is important.

No more Lockdowns!  We've had enough!

Sir Graham Brady today accused Boris Johnson of 'ruling by decree' during the coronavirus crisis as Tory MPs demanded any move to reimpose lockdown is put to a vote in the House of Commons. 

The chairman of the 1922 Committee of Conservative backbench MPs suggested the Government has been treating people 'as children' during the pandemic.

He is tabling an amendment which would require the Government to put any new lockdown measures to a vote of MPs. 

There is growing anger among Tory figures about the way in which the Government has imposed measures over the last six months without first consulting Parliament amid fears new rules will be rolled out in the coming weeks to tackle a surge in cases.

Sir Graham's intervention came after the Supreme Court's first female president said Parliament had 'surrendered' powers to the Government during the pandemic.  

Baroness Brenda Hale, who served as president at the UK's highest court from 2017- 2020, criticised the draconian measures and 'sweeping' powers being imposed on the British public without the say of MPs.    

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 18 covid deaths yesterday and 184  admissions to hospital out of a population of 66 million.

Yet professor (un) Witty is going to go on TV today and threaten another lockdown.

Crazy.

Edited by Warlord
1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

The Tory vote is still 40%. Un-f***ing-believable!

Outside of the commentary of Twitter, BBC, and Buzzfeed et al, they haven't done too bad considering.

Not meant to be any kind of trigger statement, but I think the majority of normal people (outside of the screeching social medias of course) accept it's a bit rubbish at the moment but it's not that bad.

Maybe as soon as free cash goes, people might change their minds? Or maybe, the horrific vision of JC's Britain is still fresh in their minds.

2 hours ago, Warlord said:

There were 18 covid deaths yesterday and 184  admissions to hospital out of a population of 66 million.

Yet professor (un) Witty is going to go on TV today and threaten another lockdown.

Crazy.

Really enjoying the lockdown if I'm honest. I know it's not for everyone, but the misanthrope in me is particularly delighted.

I do think we need to hit thousands, 10s of thousands of deaths a day in order to focus people's minds though. Otherwise they'll just complain.

Just now, Huggy said:

Outside of the commentary of Twitter, BBC, and Buzzfeed et al, they haven't done too bad considering.

Not meant to be any kind of trigger statement, but I think the majority of normal people (outside of the screeching social medias of course) accept it's a bit rubbish at the moment but it's not that bad.

Maybe as soon as free cash goes, people might change their minds? Or maybe, the horrific vision of JC's Britain is still fresh in their minds.

You're out of your tiny mind, Tory boy.

You rentier skidmarks have very nearly bankrupted this country.

Every aspect the current shit-show is on you.

The London stock market is now on track for its worst day since mid-June, as pandemic fears sweep the City again.

Stocks are still deep in the red, following Sir Patrick Vallance and professor Chris Whitty’s warning that the Covid-19 crisis is worsening.

The FTSE 100 has now slumped by 209 points, or 3.5% today, to 5805 points. That would be the worst one-day fall since 11th June, when fears over the global economy sparked a global rout.

The warning that the UK could face 50,000 Covid-19 cases per day by mid-October, if the virus isn’t tackled more aggressively, has hit travel companies, pub firms, banks and hotel operators.

2 hours ago, Warlord said:

Crazy.

Three weeks ago it was averaging 10/day, now 30/day.

At one point in March there were 18 COVID deaths in 1 day. It topped out at rather more. Crazy, in the sense you don't understand exponential, it seems. At a doubling every 3 1/2 days (the official rate in March - it was actually higher) everyone in the UK would be infected in 5 weeks if that rate was sustained. Not that it would be, as people would start locking themselves down as started at the beginning of March, and things would start falling apart.

11 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

Three weeks ago it was averaging 10/day, now 30/day.

At one point in March there were 18 COVID deaths in 1 day. It topped out at rather more. Crazy, in the sense you don't understand exponential, it seems. At a doubling every 3 1/2 days (the official rate in March - it was actually higher) everyone in the UK would be infected in 5 weeks if that rate was sustained. Not that it would be, as people would start locking themselves down as started at the beginning of March, and things would start falling apart.

it's a tiny amount for a population of 66 millions 

20 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

You're out of your tiny mind, Tory boy.

You rentier skidmarks have very nearly bankrupted this country.

Every aspect the current shit-show is on you.

Even COVID related economic challenges? I'm pretty sure that's ultimately on President Xi.

As you said, you can't believe it's still 40% for the Tories. I'm not a fan of polls as they just get what the feeling is at some point but with no consequence for making that decision (unlike, say, voting for Comrade Corbyn), as was seen prior to votes back in 2019 and 2016.

If this is correct, Boris and Big Dom aren't doing too badly, or Sir Keir is doing worse than he should. In any case, Boris should be allowed to take the credit for his success, and/or Sir Keir should take the blame for his failures. Whichever way they happen to go. I just helped it slightly in the right direction.

Ah, finally, the FTSE is going in the expected direction (only 3 months late.....). Covidiots are profitable Covidiots, and my 10k short is now in profit. I was sure the BPM (sic) protests would have caused it, but as I have mentioned below, my stock market shorts are my second worse fortune telling (house prices being the worst)

3 hours ago, Warlord said:

Crazy.

At the peak of deaths we had circa 1/1.1 k a day (April) and assuming the first case covid death with symptoms from December 28th.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8715661/Pictured-British-grandfather-84-died-Covid-19-having-caught-December.html

So if an old British man in outer London caught covid possibly 7/14 days before from his daughter and then died, how many folks in the chain (assuming London is mostly young people in the centre/airport) had it before it was transmitted to her?

We are possibly talking the virus being in London before November and as there was fa testing at that stage we could be talking hundreds of thousands of infections to generate that 1.1 k deaths.

So yesterday 18 deaths and 4000 cases so back of fag packet 222.22 cases per death then April would have been circa 250,000 cases a day.

IMHO we where already screwed at that point as if it was in wuhan on the Monday we had it by the Sunday given the volume of travel.

Edited by Fromage Frais
11 minutes ago, Warlord said:

it's a tiny amount for a population of 66 millions 

At its not 66 million thats just official we have to be nearer 70-80

1 minute ago, Fromage Frais said:

At the peak of deaths we had circa 1/1.1 k a day (April) and assuming the first case covid death with symptoms from December 28th.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8715661/Pictured-British-grandfather-84-died-Covid-19-having-caught-December.html

So if an old British man in outer London caught covid possibly 7/14 days before from his daughter how many folks in the chain (assuming London is mostly young people in the centre/airport) had it before it was transmitted to her?

We are possibly talking the virus being in London before November and as there was fa testing at that stage we could be talking hundreds of thousands of infections to generate that 1.1 k deaths.

So yesterday 18 deaths and 4000 cases so back of fag packet 222.22 cases per death then April would have been circa 250,000 cases a day.

IMHO we where already screwed at that point as if it was in wuhan on the Monday we had it by the Sunday given the volume of travel.

Edited by Fromage Frais

Sounds like a pretty stupid statement to me. How else are you supposed to rule ? By saying wishy washy things that people can choose to obey or not ?

Either Johnson has the executive power to impose restrictions by law, or he doesn't.

The problem with democracy in a fast moving situation is you can spend all your time jaw jawing while Rome burns. And of course as soon as multiple parties come into play, it becomes a political game rather than doing what is best for the country.

The electorate voted Johnson in for 5 years. When that time is up they can judge him on his performance.

After the farce parliament made in the Brexit negotiations, where we had months of deadlock due to party political games, the last thing we need is endless political discussion and game playing. What we need is decisive action, delivered with transparency and backed with science and clear outlines of the consequences.

If the Tories feel the crisis is of sufficient magnitude, then to me government of national unity would be better than debating every single measure in parliament.

There are reasons why more died Apr and May.......nobody was wearing masks then even going to the shops to buy food, were told at the time masks or face coverings made no difference. Care homes, we all know they were not priority protected, carers visited the elderly and high risk in own homes without any PPC, moving from house to house. Not everyone understood the risks end Feb and March up to lockdown, carried on doing what have always done it happens to others, it happens in other parts of the world...... Today many shielded are voluntary remaining shielded......many are still locked inside their homes, because they choose to be for saftey......also there are medications available in hospital situations that have helped, we know more about the virus, but not enough about the virus, more of us for sure have had it and are carrying antibodies......;)

6 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Funny how BoJo the Russia Clown get to announce good news and he hides behind scientists when it’s bad (and his fault).

judging by social media a 2nd lockdown would not be popular hence tory MPs piping up.

No way do people want another 3months lockdown. The country cannot afford it.

We will just have to live with it .

Edited by Warlord
3 minutes ago, Warlord said:

judging by social media a 2nd lockdown would not be popular hence tory MPs piping up.

We don't need another three month lockdown.

3-5 weeks is sufficient to eradicate the virus.

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/

4 minutes ago, Warlord said:

We were told that LAST time...

Fool me once...

They half-assed the first one. Test and trace should never have been delegated to the private sector.

Also Space, Face, Hands in that order.

1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

They half-assed the first one. Test and trace should never have been delegated to the private sector.

Also Space, Face, Hands in that order.

How can you do contact and trace when the elderly don't have a snooping device (err I mean a smartphone?) I don't have one either 😁

In Singapore they're handing out some kind of electronic device like a tag for a criminal! 

29 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Or die with it

If 50,000 people per day are becoming infected by mid October which is what they said today then hospital admissions wouldn't be able to deal with it so maybe juts stay home and die

Edited by Patfig