House Price Crash Forum

It is the way it is going to go.

Cars will be like mobile phones and given that most folk lease... rental will not be much of a jump.

The other change that will come is that once we are all in electric etc distance based road tax will come in to make up the loss in revenue from fuel tax.

This will also be a way of taxing online orders so i guess it will com in on commercial vehicles first.

When money hard earned yesterday is fast losing value.....nobody wants yesterdays money, they want income created today with money earned today.

Many thousands of small monthly DD amounts, regular and ongoing increasing regularly by inflation and beyond.

Pay-as-you-go.......in other words keep on renting. ;)

There's a massive bank of idiots ready to be parted from their money out there. One moth delivery for a pre-built car (or 6 months for a 'custom' one)? I would expect that from some shoddy middle-man agent type, but from Volvo themselves?

The most I have ever spent on a single car is 2.5k. I'd rather use the 2 grand I'd save every year, at least, from renting one or leasing one on fun stuff. You can get a lot of fun stuff for 2+ grand!

5 minutes ago, Huggy said:

There's a massive bank of idiots ready to be parted from their money out there. One moth delivery for a pre-built car (or 6 months for a 'custom' one)? I would expect that from some shoddy middle-man agent type, but from Volvo themselves?

The most I have ever spent on a single car is 2.5k. I'd rather use the 2 grand I'd save every year, at least, from renting one or leasing one on fun stuff. You can get a lot of fun stuff for 2+ grand!

Suppose it depends whether you count your car as fun stuff !

A lot of people like cars and are willing to spend serious money on them.

I would like to get a really nice car. But if I did at the moment it would just sit rusting on the drive.

19 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Suppose it depends whether you count your car as fun stuff !

A lot of people like cars and are willing to spend serious money on them.

I would like to get a really nice car. But if I did at the moment it would just sit rusting on the drive.

Oh of course, I am well in for that! I saw a Mustang with an outrageous 'Eleanor' style body kit a couple of years ago on auto-trader that was just under £40k. I was in love ❤️ I would have bought it but I need to buy a house first. After that I can go for expensive toys.

2nd hand GTRs weren't far off that either so in two minds what to go for eventually.

But for a bog standard normal car for shpping and stuff, never going to pay serious money for that. Personal preference really.

As a HPCer, I would normally come down hard on this sort of thing, but I have actually got mixed feelings on this.

Saw a service in Switzerland where you can rent a BMW M2 for about  £500 a month all in, including insurance (and other BMW's, just highlighting the one I would be interested in), minimum term 3 months I think.

It might actually be worth dropping £1,500 to have the summer with an M2.  I realise there are probably many cheaper ways of doing it.  But if this is totally hassle free way of owning a dream car for a period, it could win a lot of people over.

Edited by reddog
1 minute ago, reddog said:

As a HPCer, I would normally come down hard on this sort of thing, but I have actually got mixed feelings on this.

Saw a service in Switzerland where you can rent a BMW M2 for about  £500 a month (and other BMW's, just highlighting the one I would be interested in), minimum term 3 months I think.

It might actually be worth dropping £1,500 to have the summer with an M2.  I realise there are probably many cheaper ways of doing it.  But if this is totally hassle free way of owning a dream car for a period, it could win a lot of people over.

I guess the real problem is how much they charge you if it doesn't come back in perfect condition.

I've never had a serious accident in a car (thank god) but I do seem to have a bit of a habit of picking up minor scrapes. Which can become majorly expensive if you have to pay for them (don't really care about the current car!)

15 minutes ago, reddog said:

Saw a service in Switzerland where you can rent a BMW M2 for about  £500 a month all in, including insurance (and other BMW's, just highlighting the one I would be interested in), minimum term 3 months I think.

I take my comment back slightly, it was more like £650 with only 500km per month!! (Obviously you can may more for more km)

Though I do think that many people (including me!!) would rather drive a dream car 3 months if the year, and take the bus the rest of the time.  So this could at least become a niche trend!!

4 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

The other change that will come is that once we are all in electric etc distance based road tax will come in to make up the loss in revenue from fuel tax.

This is why as a 100% electric BEV family I actually discourage anyone else who ask's about electric cars, are they any good. worth it. 

I want as many people to pay VED+ fuel duty in ice cars right up to 2034.  A sudden 80% switch come 2035 will do me just fine.

13 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

That's finance and leasing, not just leasing.

The Finance and Leasing Association (FLA) is the leading trade association for the UK consumer credit, motor finance and asset finance sectors, and the largest organisation of its type in Europe. Members of FLA include: banks, subsidiaries of banks and building societies, the finance arms of retailers and manufacturing companies as well as independent firms.

So it means that 9% didn't need a loan or lease it, but doesn't indicate what proportion of new cars were leased. It also doesn't seem to distinguish retail and fleet.

The actual figure for leasing of private vehicles is higher than I thought, at around 60%. This may get 'interesting' as furlough ends.

That's finance and leasing, not just leasing.

So it means that 9% didn't need a loan or lease it, but doesn't indicate what proportion of new cars were leased. It also doesn't seem to distinguish retail and fleet.

The actual figure for leasing of private vehicles is higher than I thought, at around 60%. This may get 'interesting' as furlough ends.

"given that most folk lease"

Happy to help

i rented a car for 9 quid a day last year, a wee mini thing, did the job. 

I rented a three year old Fiat500 for £12 a week including third party insurance very recently.....plus full tank of fuel leave full and cost of petrol refunded.....total cost for the week £12.;)

27 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

whereas 60% is a majority, not most.

Lol, why quibble over a matter of linguistic opinion?

None of my friends have ever bought a new car (early 30s), so I think it would be interesting to break that down by age also.

Lol, why quibble over a matter of linguistic opinion?

Because language is important due to it being the primary medium with which we communicate, perhaps?

None of my friends have ever bought a new car (early 30s), so I think it would be interesting to break that down by age also.

Yes, it would be interesting.

5 hours ago, NobodyInParticular said:

It was then qualified with 'new ones'.  And the definition of most is:

: to a very great degree

whereas 60% is a majority, not most.

But I did admit that I was surprised that 60% of new are leased.

You had me going almost 🙂 I am not pedantic honest.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/most (oxford english)

most

Pronunciation /məʊst/

1  Greatest in amount, quantity, or degree.

‘they've had the most success’

1.1 The majority of; nearly all of.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/most

most

[ mohst ]

SEE SYNONYMS FOR most ON THESAURUS.COM

adjective, superlative of much or many, with more as comparative.

in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number:to win the most votes.

in the majority of instances:Most operations are successful.

So unless otherwise advised I will keep believing that if 100% is all 60% is both the majority and the most 😉