House Price Crash Forum

Asking prices... State of the market

Rightmove this morning shows a 0.2% rise. I know this is only new listings but at least there's none of the crazy figures being seen in some of the indices.

I think we've come through the post lockdown mania now... What are other people seeing?

What is property lion showing these days?

22 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Rightmove this morning shows a 0.2% rise. I know this is only new listings but at least there's none of the crazy figures being seen in some of the indices.

I think we've come through the post lockdown mania now... What are other people seeing?

UK Property Lion showed a 0.26 % rise in CURRENT asking prices for last month so that is pretty close, the rate of increase most places had stalled and London was down nearly 3% in a month.  London  is down 6% from April which is making rises everywhere else.

I'm very happy to see PL and RM numbers being so close.

The full quarterly PL index will be out around the 8th of October, that should be very telling.  If RM is showing such a small rise in INITIAL asking prices i expect the PL index to be down.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere
21 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Friends can’t sell gardenless flat. Not overpriced either.

I think the cladding scandal is going to freeze the market a huge amount until insurers quantify the risk and offer coverage accordingly. Could be years. (The friend who asked me if they should sell a year ago but decided to ignore my advice that they should is now stuck in another gardenless flat). 

Seeing plenty of places still for sale from 2019 or July this year. 

Cladding + 20% deposits + general overpricing + cooler weather + not lending on furlough + more redundancies = a hard winter for agents

There's a road of two bedroom flats built in the 1950's and If I ever get to buy it wil be one of those.

One has SSTC twice since Jan 2020 but is back on the market again. Another went on the market for £10k above average but has recently been reduced to OIEO £160k. 

3 hours ago, Sausage said:

It is as if a switch was flicked early last week - heaven knows what happened but yes - it's over. 

3 hours ago, Sausage said:

Market has completely died here in the last 2 weeks. Nothing on my watchlist has sold since the beginning of September except one prime location property. My watchlist is very nice, and moderately priced in good areas. I have put about 15 on since the end of August...in August they would have gone in a week, totally insane, now not moving at all. I renewed my lease till March...I am expecting all the summer gains to be gone by end of November and to be 10% down by March with some big drops early next year. A solicitor I spoke to said that had it not been for Rishi 10 homes Sunak’s bung to himself and his property owning chums, then the market would have been well on the way down now, but she said all it has done is delay things a few months, and possibly make it worse.